Florida classroom bookshelves left empty as education reform law goes into effect

I0ubJdP.jpeg

And in Texas

A group of booksellers, publishers and authors are suing to stop a new Texas law that would require stores to rate books they sell to schools based on sexual content. They argue the measure violates their first and fourteenth amendment rights by attempting to target and regulate protected speech.

As part of a concerted effort to make southerners even dumber than they already are, let's close school libraries.

pQrp6ke.png

Continued here

BTW, why is the term "disciplinary spaces" reminiscent of "reeducation centers", a term that you'll find in any dystopian novel.

BTW, why is the term "disciplinary spaces" reminiscent of "reeducation centers", a term that you'll find in any dystopian novel.
True, but under-stated.
In the '50's & '60's, when China did it in their communist government schools, we called it "brain-washing". BUT !!

In the new millennium when we do it in U.S. government schools it's portrayed heroically as anti-woke.

note:
The superficial appeal of a purist philosophy or theology is obvious. It's uncomplicated, simple, pure.
In practice there don't seem to be m/any where ideological purity is optimal.
There may be some literature simply not suitable for public school libraries. BUT: exploiting the practice of such reasonable restrictions to historical revisionist levels is not merely excessive.

We didn't have a word for "woke" when I was young. We just called it "trying to be a good person". BBB #85

woke​

adjective

chiefly US slang
1a
: aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

Trump's "America First" political election campaign slogan might attract some faction within the U.S. electorate. BUT:
What U.S. presidential candidate has some opposing agenda? "America Second"? Candidates generally pick slogans that distinguish themselves from those they compete against. So apart from the bogus implication that those Trump is running against have an "America Second" agenda, Trump's "America First" slogan is empty rhetoric, about as meaningful as "Make America Great Again". Didn't Trump already do that 4 years ago?
"Donald Trump is not just a candidate, he's a social club. And my colleague David French made this point this week, that when you're in the Trump rally or you're in a Trump caravan, or one of the boat crusades it's fun, they're having fun. They enjoy it. They're around people who agree with them. Ah they have a beer. And it's a sense of belonging. I think we've under-covered that element, and so for a lot of people signing up for Donald Trump is not just this policy or that policy. It's not an attachment to a normal political candidate. It's a movement that provides them with a sense of belonging.
And so despite all that happened, Donald Trump now among Republican voters has 78% approval." NYT columnist David Brooks on PBS/NH 23/07/07

As part of a concerted effort to make southerners even dumber than they already are, let's close school libraries.

The styles may differ, but these Republicans and the Taliban have similar objectives regarding education suppression. Using the term "woke" with contempt may be intended to discourage political activism. Trump may have support from a majority of Republicans, but not a majority of the entire voting public. This statistically slim margin renders even a ploy like "woke" a potentially formidable weapon for Republicans.

t #88
I thought of the "woke" issue as a Republican construct, but used to tease or taunt. Hadn't occured to me it's intended to discourage & suppress.
"Florida officials tell state schools to teach AP Psychology "in its entirety" after College Board said the state had effectively banned the course."
abcnews.go.com / #89 & #91 Florida psychology
Kudos to "Florida officials".

Re #92 - the reason had nothing to do with doing "the right thing" - it was simply because the college board stuck by its guns and said that absent the relevant chapter the course wouldn't qualify for AP credit. That is, students wouldn't be able to count the course as a first year university credit.

Re #92 - the reason had nothing to do with doing "the right thing" - it was simply because the college board stuck by its guns and said that absent the relevant chapter the course wouldn't qualify for AP credit. That is, students wouldn't be able to count the course as a first year university credit.
That's what I call the right thing. Common sense. If they don't teach the full course, doesn't make sense to award credit as if they had. . . . . . . . AND !! Precedent.

I’m a veteran Florida teacher, and here’s what I think of Gov. DeSantis’ lesson plans | Column

By Chris Fulton

First, I’ll point out the obvious: Gov. Ron DeSantis is a bigot. There are those who deem the governor as also being racist, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying, nah — he’s just a bigot. And an unabashedly proud one at that.

The problem is that DeSantis’ blatant bigotry is disruptively and negatively impacting teachers in Florida’s increasingly draconian public education system.

Now before anyone begins labeling me, bear in mind that the Merriam-Webster’s dictionary defines the term “bigot” as “a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.” That, ladies and gentlemen, is the very definition of Ron DeSantis.

Fortunately, the governor’s so-called “War on Woke” is going about as smoothly as what he perceives to be Russia’s “territorial dispute” with Ukraine. The latest from the who-didn’t-see-this-coming file comes via the College Board.

The board maintains that unless Advanced Placement Psychology is taught in its entirety — a course taken by 28,000 Florida students last school year — college credit won’t be granted. Naturally, the course includes foundational sections on gender identity and sexual orientation; however, newly enacted state law makes illegal any discussion of gender identity and sexual orientation in K-12 classrooms ... well, you see the problem. The board’s warning has resulted in school districts — Pinellas and Hillsborough among them — pulling popular AP Psych courses from their offerings.

But wait! Florida Education Commissioner Manny Diaz Jr. now says AP Psych can, in fact, be taught, including the essential sections on gender identity and sexual orientation. How? Diaz won’t say. So, pretzel logic being what it is, the course is no longer an option, a sad and avoidable loss for students.

On the one hand, DeSantis rails against indoctrination in public schools; on the other, his Department of Education recently approved use of far-right education platform PragerU, which proclaims itself an alternative to an alleged — but completely unsubstantiated — progressive mindset permeating Florida schools. PragerU’s founder, a conservative talk show host, boastfully admits his company “bring(s) doctrines to children.” As such, his company offers a range of video lessons disputing climate change and includes titles like “Was the Civil War About Slavery?” and “The Inconvenient Truth About the Democratic Party.”

Things were humming along just fine in Florida schools until the governor began scoring political points pandering to his base. But targeting a small group of vulnerable LGBTQ+ students, kids who are already struggling physically and emotionally, is just plain mean. Isn’t it enough these students have to deal with adolescent bullying without being callously traumatized by adult leadership from a government they’re asked to respect? And the expectation is that ...

Not sure about the red arrows.

I can understand why racists would not want to be disgraced by the recounting of their history.

Back