Florida classroom bookshelves left empty as education reform law goes into effect

If it was only DeSantis it would be bad enough but Oklahoma cancelling PBS?

Oklahoma Governor Stitt defends decision to ax PBS funding over 'really problematic' LGBTQ content​

Stitt fires back at critics in interview with Fox News Digital, calls complaints 'simply nonsense'​

By Brian Flood | Fox News

Gov. Kevin Stitt defends his decision to cut PBS funding: 'Tired of using taxpayer dollars for some person's agenda'

Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt spoke with Fox News Digital about cutting funding to the state's PBS station Oklahoma Educational Television Authority (OETA), despite pushback from critics.
EXCLUSIVE – Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, R., has strong words for critics after he vetoed a bill last week that would have funded operations of the state's PBS station, Oklahoma Educational Television Authority (OETA), through 2026, accusing the station of indoctrinating young children.
"OETA, to us, is an outdated system. You know, the big, big question is why are we spending taxpayer dollars to prop up or compete with the private sector and run television stations? And then when you go through all of the programing that's happening and the indoctrination and over-sexualization of our children, it's just really problematic, and it doesn't line up with Oklahoma values," Stitt told Fox News Digital.
Unless the legislature is able to override his veto, the state PBS network will cease operations this year. Shows on the network include "Sesame Street," "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," and "Clifford The Big Red Dog."

sear pending:

And on to low key union busting - but only unions that don't support DeSantis.

Fhc35fF.jpeg

kiDEitM.jpeg

Yep - but unions generally support Democrats. And teachers unions are the ones being dumped on re "woke" content so they're obvious targets.
Thus an eloquent if politically self-destructive (potentially politically suicidal) act.
DeSantis can presume he'd get few votes from this bloc, 10% perhaps.

DeSantis signing this bill into law indicates the reward he perceives himself to gain from this contemptuous, spiteful legislation is a "gain" DeSantis is willing to obtain in exchange for that 10%.
This is DeSantis prioritizing his own petty agenda ahead of the needs of the whole People. That may actually appeal to some other voters. Whether DeSantis can make up the difference by attracting the votes of like-minded fence-sitters, anyone's guess.

Either way, bad karma.

Not sure a teacher's union strike could reverse this. But I suspect even if teachers have a limited right to strike in Florida, they still have the option to resign (within the bounds of their contract). Mass faculty resignations might seem a "nuclear" option. But I'd say it's DeSantis that crossed the nuke line.
etc

The public usually doesn't take kindly to teachers going on strike. Or even working to rule. So that might actually help DeSantis rather than hurt him.

This isn't Florida specific but is definitely worth a read:

... probably most importantly, why do you think that banning and burning books makes you the good guys somehow? Looking back at history, people who burned books are pretty much always viewed through a negative lens as far as I can remember. I have friends who are still salty about the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria if that gives you any hints.

People Who Ban Books are Never Right

At no point in history have those who seek to restrict knowledge and progress been the “good guys.”

Matthew Maniaci

I can’t believe that I have to say this at all, but banning and burning books is, broadly and generally speaking, a bad thing. As in it is never acceptable, like, ever. Why are we even having this discussion?

First off, it’s incredibly ineffectual in the modern age. We have things like Amazon, where we can download a truly incredible number of e-books on a variety of topics, including an absolutely jaw-dropping amount of smut. Do you really think that banning a handful of books about being queer is going to stop kids from getting their grubby little hands on them?

I know parents whose kids can manage to get through whatever parental controls they have established to buy loads of stuff on their parents’ credit cards. Failing that, many teenagers will simply buy things they want with allowance money and hide them from their parents, assuming their parents aren’t supportive and wouldn’t just buy that thing for them anyway.

Barring that, there’s always petty crime, a favorite of teenagers everywhere. An author I follow heard from a librarian that the most stolen books are the ones that kids need to read at that point in their lives. Do you really think that kids who want to find out what is happening with them won’t just steal those books from a bookstore if it came down to it? I’m not a big fan of crime in general, but I am also willing to bet that a bunch of queer authors would rather lose a sale to theft if it means a kid survives high school.

A wall of multicolored books

Photo by Robert Anasch on Unsplash

Second, the books that the current crop of banners and burners are targeting are generally focused on queerness and BIPOC rights. Why, you might ask, are they targeting these books? Because, and this is the quiet part that gets said out loud a lot, they view these populations as not equal to white people.

Queerness is sinful according to them, and being BIPOC is to be inherently inferior. The notion that these people can write articulate books that tell the stories of their lives and histories is dangerous to them because their lives and histories have been damaged by white people. They view the knowledge that white people just might have perpetrated crimes against nonwhite, non-straight folks as dangerous.

This is why their poor children must be protected from being traumatized by that knowledge. How dare you let little Keighleigh and little Brantley learn something that might make them feel bad about themselves? It’s almost as though history is full of horrors perpetrated by those in power! You know, things that those people don’t want everyone to find out about!

If you are learning about history and it doesn’t make you feel at least a little bit uncomfortable, you are not learning history, you are reading a sanitized retelling through the lens of the author. Young kids may not be ready for the graphic details of the Holocaust, but they need to learn at least a bit about them so that we do not repeat those mistakes.

And, if you try to pull out a “think of the children” argument, I’d like to point out that ...

·

S2 #29
This post of mine seems sure to annoy, though it's sincerely not intended to.

Early in #29, a block of text that starts: "... probably most importantly, ..."

But I see no quotation mark or attribute. That may not be the intended point, but in these fora seems to me assertions tend to fall into one of two categories, assertions based on authority, or assertions presented as valid, true, accurate.
Difficult to determine which in that case. Seems rather obvious, though it may be my jaded perspective.
Then there's: "Queerness is sinful according to them, and being BIPOC is to be inherently inferior." #29

My Jehovah's Witness Biblical consultant told me "sin" means to fall short of divine perfection.
Is there scriptural basis to believe Heaven is hetero? Wouldn't they need a female for that? Do they have one? My intended point,
- unless there's scriptural verification that god is straight, and not bi, then is the notion that the god-given trait of "queerness" falls short of divine perfection? Isn't that what "sin" means?
- How can a god-given trait be a sin? Sociopathy? Some sociopaths may be born sociopaths. I might think of some of them, AR-15 toting mass-murderers for example are sinful. But my opinion on that may be both prejudicial and wrong. god drown nearly a whole world of humans, except those with passage on Noah's arc. So if near genocide is divine, can we justify being snooty about our AR-15 toting mass-murderers? By that standard might the pacifists be the true sinners (for failing to mass-murder the way god does)? Declaring violence sin merely self-serving fraud / propaganda of the non-violent?
"Queerness is sinful according to them, and being BIPOC is to be inherently inferior." #29
I don't know what "BIPOC" is.

Again not trying to annoy. But you might need a glossary.

BIPOC - meaning

Black, Indigenous, and People of Color

While the term Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) is meant to be inclusive, it is imperfect and imprecise. Although BIPOC includes Asian and Latino/a/x people as well as other racial and ethnic groups, the acronym does not resonate with everyone it was meant to embrace.

BIPOC - meaning
While the term Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) ...
a) oh
b) At the risk of inviting a Venn diagram, is there a reason to not use the term "minorities"? I know they're not precise synonyms. And in such cases as the direct victims of the SCOTUS Dobbs decision, females may not technically be minority (50% minus one) even if women (the subset of females between the ages of puberty and mentalpause *) are.

My inquiry is in part motivated from the sense there's if not a coalition, a gathering coalescence of these disparate factions of the population. Perhaps they're segmenting themselves from the full "minority" population as a divide between the dynamically involved, separated from the inactive.

* females outside this range ostensibly don't get pregnant, and thus are not directly impacted by Dobbs

... is the notion that the god-given trait of "queerness" falls short of divine perfection?

Thing is, "they" think that being gay (or trans) is a choice. At best they think it's some sort of mental illness that can be "cured" by therapy.

As for their world being hetero

1 Corinthians 7 :: NIV. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband.

Still in Florida but shifting the focus from books to guns for a moment:

Governor Ron DeSantis just passed a bill that will make it extremely hard to track gûñ purchases.

Thing is, "they" think that being gay (or trans) is a choice. At best they think it's some sort of mental illness that can be "cured" by therapy.
Indeed, that's often the claim. My doubt arises when the delusion is ideologically stone-walled: if homosexuality is a choice, when did you [Mr. homophobe] decide to be straight?
If their homophobic delusion of choice were sincere, wouldn't that didactic question switch on the light of reason?

I gather it usually doesn't.
That suggests to me the position is a ruse.
Governor Ron DeSantis just passed a bill that will make it extremely hard to track gûñ purchases.
I would image that wouldn't increase DeSantis' popularity w/ the FBI & etc.
I thought they used those purchase records to trace murder weapon origins, etc.

Evidently DeSantis has done the risk to benefit calculation, and chosen the path he thinks will benefit him the most.

Just when you think DeSantis couldn't say anything crazier, now he's claiming that drag queens threaten military recruitment

Ron DeSantis claims he heard people won’t let their kids join the military because of drag queens

DeSantis also blasted the military for "embracing things like gender ideology."
By Molly Sprayregen

While speaking at a GOP fundraiser in Iowa, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) railed against drag queens and claimed they were putting military recruitment at risk.

“When you see videos of folks recruiting for the military services using things like drag queens, you know, that is just fundamentally wrong,” he told attendees of the Feenstra Family Picnic.

DeSantis was referring to a story making the rounds in rightwing media about Yeoman Second Class Joshua Kelley, who is one of several active duty “Digital Ambassadors” selected by the Navy as part of a pilot program to use social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok for recruitment. Kelley is nonbinary and goes by the name Harpy Daniels when in drag.

“From joining to 2016 and being able to share my drag experience on my off time with my fellow sailors has been a blessing,” Kelley wrote in an Instagram post for the Navy last November. “Thank you to the Navy for giving me this opportunity! I don’t speak for the Navy but simply sharing my experience in the Navy! Hooyah, and let’s go slay!” they wrote.

DeSantis also blasted the military for ....

Just an observation - people not letting their kids join the military? Last time I looked someone had to be at least 17 to join the US military - basically adults - not sure why (or how) parents can block them and I suppose you can make an argument that if the "kid" is that much under their parents' thumb they're not going to make it in the miltary.

Just when you think DeSantis couldn't say anything crazier, now he's claiming that drag queens threaten military recruitment
You mentioned fascism in S2 #28. Isn't it a common domestic political ploy in centralized authority such as communism or fascism to distract attention from domestic failings by directing public attention to external threats?

That Governor DeSantis would stoop this low is of concern independent of other factors. But that DeSantis was re-elected to the office, that elevates it from "concern" to alarm.
And DeSantis as governor, an obvious concern. As president? - uh oh -

DeSantis is at it again

Inside the Fight to Keep a Florida College Queer

Ron DeSantis staged a hostile takeover of tiny New College, an LGBTQ oasis. Then, students dug in
BY TESSA STUART

florida-queer-college.jpg

Students from New College of Florida stage a walkout from the public liberal arts college to protest against a proposed wide-reaching legislation that would ban gender studies majors and diversity programs at Florida universities, in Sarasota, Florida, U.S., February 28, 2023.

WITH FEWER THAN 700 undergraduates, New College of Florida’s student body is small enough that most of it fits on one reply-all email thread. On Jan. 6, the day news broke that Gov. Ron DeSantis had installed a knot of culture-war veterans to the school’s board of trustees, that student-moderated email forum lit up. Sam Sharf, a second-year student, remembers the emails flying back and forth: “What the hell is going on?” “How are we going to fight back?” “This is crazy.” Almost as quickly, screenshots of those messages began gleefully circulating on right-wing Twitter, prompting some students to move their communications to an encrypted, invite-only channel, a small cell of resistance that has spent the semester trying to figure out how to save their tiny, public, liberal arts college from what they call a “fascist” takeover.

Set on 110 palm-dotted acres perched on the edge of Sarasota Bay, New College of Florida was founded in the Sixties as an experiment by a band of locals with a shared vision to liberate students and faculty from the “limits of lock-step curriculum.” The school eschews grades, prizes hands-on learning, small classes, and close ties between students and professors. Today, it’s the Florida university system’s honors college, known for producing Fulbright Scholars and more Ph.D.s per capita than almost any other undergraduate program in the country (including Princeton, Harvard, and Yale). The school has never had a competitive intercollegiate sports program, but it does have a mascot: the “null set” — a pair of empty brackets.

New College is also known as a uniquely accepting and supportive place for queer folks — trans students in particular. Students, faculty, and staff have spent years carefully calibrating a climate “supportive of all genders” and “unwilling to tolerate transphobia,” as Emily Fairchild, associate director of undergraduate studies for Harvard University’s sociology department, wrote in a 2022 chapter about New College published in a volume of research on transgender experiences. “The great heartbreak,” Fairchild, who worked at New College for more than a decade, says today, “is that that core mission is threatened by what ...

S2 #38
I've been puzzling over this one for over 12 hours.
I'm aware of the competition with high school grades, résumés' etc for admission to ivy league, though I've never experience it. So what are the entrance requirements at this New School? LGBTQ ?
226257849260d12d94e74cc99e45670d6db2725.gif

Back