Florida classroom bookshelves left empty as education reform law goes into effect

Only four months - pity

8DRoQy0.jpeg

"Wire fraud".
OK
Better than nothing I imagine. "Never lick a gift whore in the mouse" and all that. Would be nice to nail these maniacs on what they're actually guilty of.
Due to the nature of negative reinforcement Harding may simply be more careful about wire fraud, money laundering, and making false statements while further inflicting his -don't say gay- agenda.

None the less, an uplifting message to help ease us into a delightful weekend. Thanks S2

"Steve Martin Offers Hilariously" #124

I was out of the country when SNL hit, started. I don't know if Martin was a standard cast member or not, though I've seen some vids of him at it.
I tried the link. Couldn't find Steve anywhere. BUT !

Martin's character, a sadistic dentist is introduced late in the movie Little Shop Of Horrors.
The dentist character is introduced in musical style (among my least favorite). I don't recall the scene, about 3 minutes iirc.
But I recall it as among the best 3 minutes of video I've ever seen.
It's been said so many ways. Yet the champions of ignorance drone on.

"It's been said so many ways. " s #127
"It's been said so many ways. " s #127 Seldom so painfully ironically as that.

The U.S. Founders chose a republic rather than a democracy. Some Founders dismissed democracy as "mob rule".
Looked like the republic thing was working for a while. Then Speaker Gingrich took out his Contract on America. We haven't been the same since.
"Re SNL - it premiered in October of 1975 so I would have been a grad student at the time." S2 #129
Desert island castaways count up the days of their tenure on the island.
U.S. military members count down the days until "ETS", their military release date. When there's metaphorically light at the end of that release date tunnel, that military member is said to be "short", a "short-timer".
Two digit midgets (members with less than 100 days remaining in their contract) gain prestige among their peers, and one digit midgets are celebrities. I became a one digit midget in 1976.

And therefore:
"1975 so I would have been a grad student" S2 #129
- holy crow - (haven't heard that one in a while ...)
So I'm the old man here? Born mid-1954.

grumble ! grumble !

I'm older than you.
I dodged a Bullitt. (you're welcome Steve McQueen fans)

So if I keep boinkin' up, I get the imprimatur from my juniority. What a delight to not be the "adult in the room". Don't believe me? Ask Trump.
You may have to wait until day 2 of his second administration. It seems he's planning to be quite busy on day one.

Trump's day-one dictatorship becomes an applause line​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/11/trump-dictator-second-term/

"673 books banned" #133
How many of the banned books listed have actually been read by a majority of the banning authority?

More basically, what authority? Have they not read the First Amendment?

Solace in statistics. Those party to this Orlando-area school decision are but a tiny fraction of the solar system's human population. I wonder what books they'd recommend. Nancy Drew?

How many of the banned books listed have actually been read by a majority of the banning authority?
I'm sure the answer is "almost none" - in most cases they're acting on complaints from a very few individuals.

According to an analysis by the Post, 60% of book challenges made in the 2021-2022 school year came from the same 11 adults. Petersen was one of them. The majority of objections were on books authored by or about LGBTQ+ people or people of color.

Horace called anger a short madness. Those seeking the long version will find it w/ the Petersen crew. Isn't that "special", 3rd Millennium troglodytes. Champions of ignorance.

" - just acting on complaints and not doing their own review as a result." S2 #138
I'd be surprised if it's otherwise.
"No money interest - " #138
I suspect that's a virtual impossibility, because ANY change on that scale is going to change that school district's expenditures.
It might sanitize it a little if the books banned were ONLY those already in that school's library. I suspect that's not 100% the case.

note:
There may be some, perhaps many, that are duped into such book-banning crusade for "high noble purpose", duped by manipulators that have ulterior motive.
Thus it may seem that for many book banners there's no obvious money interest, though there are $beneficiaries none the less.

Maybe t #137 can clarify.

Wisconsin Considers Prosecuting Teachers and Librarians for ‘Obscene’ Books #139

What are they supposed to do? And with that as precedent, what next? Put a TV antenna on trial for receiving a feminine hygiene products commercial?

Back