Trump Gets Triggered By Looming Criminal Charges & Melts Down

"And the reason he doesn't have a jury trial is because his people effed up." S2 #240
There's a convergence of consequences from Trump's path of destruction. They include:
- Trump literally wrote the book on this: The Art Of The Deal.
- Trump would want a jury because Trump's expertise is playing to whatever audience is before him.

So what does Trump think will benefit him more? Having a jury to lie to? Trump is guilty, is he not? - OR -
So Trump can complain about being denied a jury.

- Reportedly the quality of the legal representation Trump has had in the past several years has been degrading.

231002bShrink.JPG

It seems Trump may be scraping the bottom of the barrel with his current legal team.
Therefore difficult to know for certain whether it was "his people effed up." S2 #240
or whether it was Trump himself.

Saint Thomas More said a drowning man will clutch at a straw.
Trump may enjoy whining about the path not taken.

"Trump complained that it's unfair that his trial doesn't have a jury. But the reason it doesn't have a jury is because his lawyers never asked for one.
True.
To be fair Trump can't have a jury of his peers. I mean, where are they going to get 12 bankrupt former reality show hosts?" NBC-TV Tonight Show host Fallon 23/10/03

note:
Late night TV host Kimmel has also made headlines sparring with Trump.

So what does Trump think will benefit him more? Having a jury to lie to? Trump is guilty, is he not? - OR -
So Trump can complain about being denied a jury.
You've got a point but if his lawyers had ticked the box asking for a jury trial they still could have decided to opt for a judge only.

So unless you're right and Trump is smart enough to figure out that he's going to lose no matter what and wants to be able to use this as ammunition in his political campaign somebody really screwed up. And I seriously doubt that Trump is smart enough to reach that conclusion - in unless his lawyers are seriously stupid they wouldn't intentionally set themselves up for a malpractice lawsuit by intentionally not requesting a jury trial.

"... unless his lawyers are seriously stupid they wouldn't intentionally set themselves up for a malpractice lawsuit by intentionally not requesting a jury trial." S2 #243
A reason to appeal the case "if" convicted?

btw:
At my last check Trump was still leading the race for both parties, in the 2024 presidential race. Whatever Trump has done may disgrace Trump. But remaining the nation's top choice for president with Trump's history disgraces the nation.
"In every democracy, the people get the government they deserve." Alexis de Tocqueville

I'll defer to the lawyers but does that provide grounds for an appeal?
Good counterpoint.
Isn't that ultimately decided by the appeals court law judge? Surely the judiciary would want such decision to appear consistent from one case to the next. I doubt this is the first time it's ever been an issue. I don't know how it was decided in previous cases. BUT !
Trump can complain about it either way, and if it isn't decided in favor of Trump, then Trump can cite it as another example of his political enemies colluding against him some more.

In the good ol' days critics disparaged Washington as a banana republic. In the Trump era banana republic has become a superior standard toward which we must strive.

One of the after effects of Trump's claims re the value of his properties:

XUM0PRe.jpeg

You are totally my kind of guy Bri.

Incidentally, my understanding of what few reports I've gotten of it indicate Trump's been burning that candle at both ends:
- over-$valuing his assets for the banks, &
- under-$valuing his assets to the tax man.

You Mr. C have found logical justice for this flagrant criminal that reaches fairy-tale proportions.

Learn how to smile properly, and you'll be the full package. Go get 'em pussy cat.

Agreed. A "billionaire" with his own plane and he hasn't been told to surrender his travel documents (although I'd be surprised if he doesn't have more than one passport).

Further to #247

Is Mar-a-Lago worth $1 billion? Trump’s winter home valuations are at the core of his fraud trial

A New York judge ruled that the former president exaggerated the value of his Mar-a-Lago property in Florida when he said it was worth at least $420 million and perhaps $1.5 billion.

How much is Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago worth?

That’s been a point of contention after a New York judge ruled that the former president exaggerated the Florida property’s value when he said it was worth at least $420 million and perhaps $1.5 billion.

Siding with New York’s attorney general in a lawsuit accusing Trump of grossly overvaluing his assets, Judge Arthur Engoron found that Trump consistently exaggerated Mar-a-Lago’s worth.

He noted that one Trump estimate of the club’s value was 2,300% times the Palm Beach County tax appraiser’s valuations, which ranged from $18 million to $37 million.

But Palm Beach real estate agents who specialize in high-end properties scoffed at the idea that the estate could be worth that little in the unlikely event Trump ever sold.

“Ludicrous,” agent Liza Pulitzer said about the judge citing the county’s tax appraisal as a benchmark. Homes a tenth the size of Mar-a-Lago on tiny inland lots sell for that in Palm Beach, a wealthy island enclave.

“The entire real estate community felt it was a joke when they saw that figure,” said Pulitzer, who works for the firm Brown Harris Stevens.

“That thing would get snapped up for hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars,” said Rob Thomson, owner of Waterfront Properties and a Mar-a-Lago member. “There is zero chance that it’s going to sell for $40 million or $50 million.”

In the ongoing trial over the lawsuit, though, what a private buyer might pay for a place like Mar-a-Lago isn’t the only factor in determining whether Trump is liable for fraud.

What is Mar-a-Lago?​

The 126-room, 62,500-square-foot mansion is Trump’s primary home. It is also a club, private beach resort, historical ....

$$ #252
This has me wondering how $accurate an objective estimate or approximation of the right market value of a real estate property can be.
There are obvious standards: square feet indoors, acreage outdoors, recent closing prices on similar properties in the neighborhood.
Problem is it all seems to fizzle down to the vicissitudes of the greater fool theory.

Seems to me Trump is in a pickle here. BUT !
I've lost count of how many times in the past over the years I've believed that, and been proved wrong.

“Trump’s lawyers are perilously close to being sanctioned once again and more heavily by Judge Engoron for their misconduct,” Bennett Gershman, a former New York prosecutor and law professor at Pace University, told Salon. “They are behaving in manifest bad faith by intentionally delaying and obstructing the proceedings and deliberately creating a spectacle to promote Trump's fundraising. Lawyers in any legal proceeding foresee an appeal if they lose and try to make a complete and proper record for appellate review.”

If some or all Trump's legal team risks disbarment, what has Trump offered them that make them believe it's worth the risk to their career, their $livelihood?

$$ #252
This has me wondering how $accurate an objective estimate or approximation of the right market value of a real estate property can be.
It's not just real estate - I used to sit on a committee that was chaired by the national head of one of the Big Four and he was generally dismissive of personal financial statements, even those that had been signed off on by independent auditors.

"What the don't understand is that I am willing to go to jail if that's what it takes for our country to become a democracy again." Trump "I fully support this" S2
I saw that soundbite on the evening news. It's standard Trump, pretending to martyrdom, a faux display of selfless courage.
Here's another example of the Trump style.
"I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's gunna be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now." Candidate Trump 15/09/27 to CBS Scott Pelly
While we're in such an agreeable mood, I'll offer the following support.
" Everybody's gunna be taken" Trump
I concur sir. We were sir. Worser.

"I fully support this" S2 #256
The Independent

Trump trolled for saying he’s ‘willing to go to jail for sake of democracy’: ‘Sounds like a plan’​

Martha McHardy
Tue, October 17, 2023 at 9:10 AM EDT

At a campaign event on Monday in Iowa, the former president told supporters: “I am willing to go to jail if that’s what it takes for our country to win and become a democracy again.” ... Donald Trump is being trolled after he said he would be “willing to go to jail” for the sake of democracy.
All the indictments faced by the former president carry potential prison sentences that add up to a potential maximum sentence of 717.5 years in prison, though Mr Trump is unlikely to face that much time if convicted.
Due to maximum sentencing guidelines, the maximum amount of time Mr Trump could spend in prison if convicted on all counts is around 70 years.

"717.5 years" ! :eek:

If Trump spent that long in "jail", he'd be almost as old as Biden before he got out.

Keep your voice down, judge warns Donald Trump at fraud trial

Arthur Engoron gives warning after ex-president conferred aloud in court and threw hands up in frustration as witness testified

A judge warned Donald Trump and others at his New York civil fraud trial to keep their voices down on Wednesday after the former president threw up his hands in frustration and spoke aloud to his lawyers while a witness was testifying against him.

Judge Arthur Engoron gave the admonition after Trump conferred animatedly with his lawyers at the defense table during real-estate appraiser Doug Larson’s second day of testimony at the Manhattan trial.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/18/mitt-romney-book-election-2016-ted-cruz-trump
State lawyer Kevin Wallace asked Engoron to ask the defense to ...

MAGA Lawyer Sidney Powell Pleads Guilty, Flips on Georgia Co-Defendants

The conspiracy theorizing attorney played a key role in Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. She may soon be testifying against him
BY NIKKI MCCANN RAMIREZ

Sidney Powell has agreed to a plea deal with Futon County, Georgia, prosecutors over charges brought against her in a sprawling RICO case in which former President Donald Trump and 17 others have also been charged for allegedly meddling in the state’s 2020 election results.

The plea deal comes just one day before Powell’s trial, which she had requested take place separately from that of the other defendants. The deal reduced Powell’s charges and carried a sentence to six years probation, payment of $2,700 in fines, an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia, and a requirement to testify truthfully against other defendants in the case.

In August, Powell, Trump, and 17 others were charged with violating Georgia’s racketeering laws and attempting to meddle with the 2020 election results in the state. Powell was accused of aiding Trump in spreading conspiracy theories about the election and participating in efforts to tamper with voting machines. She initially pleaded not guilty to the charges against her.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

Back