Quotable Quotes

"We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights. I truly can't wait. I hate him passionately." ~ Tucker Carlson, to his staff, Jan. 4, 2021

~ Tucker Carlson, to his staff, Jan. 4, 2021
2 days before the insurrection?

Journalism is an honorable profession, often not the first choice with even common levels of cupidity.

Carlson may have the reach, the celebrity, the audience,
but surely not the gravity, the integrity, the character. Ordinarily a Faustian bargain might seem a poor life choice / career choice. In Carlson's case it seems whatever was traded away can't have been worth much.

"It's just a really bad time to be working here." ~ Fox News producer
"We are not happy." ~ Fox News reporter
boo WHOO !!

Attention FOXers, a word to the unwise:
"Be the change you want to see in the world."

You numb-nuts are collectively a significant contributing factor. Don't whine about it. FIX it ! You made the mess. Clean it up !

"I mean, I lie if I'm really cornered or something. I lie. I really try not to. I try never to lie on TV. I just don't -- I don't like lying [but] I certainly do it, you know, out of weakness or whatever." ~ Tucker Carlson, to Davd Rubin, September 12, 2021

Putin's problems in Ukraine are helped by Putin surrounding himself with yes men. They tell Putin what he wants to hear.

Fox News uses a similar approach. With similar consequence? In addition to January 6?

"President Trump was wrong. I had no right to overturn the election. And his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol... What happened that day was a disgrace. And it mocks decency to portray it any other way." ~ Mike Pence at Gridiron Dinner last night

"I won the second election. I won it by a lot...If you put me back in the White House, America will be a free nation once again." ~ Trump, recently

Putin surrounding himself with yes men.
"Putin had narrowed his circle of advisors. And it was a circle in which he prized loyalty over competence." United States Central Intelligence Agency Director William Burns on CBS-TV Face the Nation 23/02/26
It worked in Crimea.
"President Trump was wrong. I had no right to overturn the election. And his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol... What happened that day was a disgrace. And it mocks decency to portray it any other way." ~ Mike Pence at Gridiron Dinner last night
If "last night" means Saturday March 11, 2023 that's years after the insurrection. Pence is listed as potentially seeking the 2024 Republican nomination for president. Since Trump is too, Pence is confronted by the fact Pence can't simultaneously mirror Trump as a loyal VP, and also distinguish himself from Trump competing for the nomination. The above Pence quotation indicates Pence has resolved that. It took years for Pence to publicly admit the obvious.
The next question: if Pence is not following lock-step in Trump's path, what new / different path will Pence take.

btw: If the Republican nominee is chosen on basis of bubbly personality the nomination is New Hampshire Governor Sununu's if he wants it.

"Had [Mike Pence] sent the votes back to the legislatures, they wouldn't have had a problem with Jan. 6, so in many ways you can blame him for Jan. 6." ~ Trump

"January 6th I think is probably second only to the 2020 election as the biggest scam in my lifetime." ~ Tucker Carlson

"January 6th I think is probably second only to the 2020 election as the biggest scam in my lifetime." ~ Tucker Carlson
It's probably not as Carlson intended, but that bears slight resemblance to a confession.
"Had [Mike Pence] sent the votes back to the legislatures, they wouldn't have had a problem with Jan. 6, so in many ways you can blame him for Jan. 6." ~ Trump
I went to bed believing the polls, that Hillary would win. I awakened the next AM stunned that Trump had won instead. I'm a little less stunned now, but still baffled. A little pop. psych. is about the best I can muster: "Whut wur yu thuinkin' ?!" Dr. Phil
226257849260d12d94e74cc99e45670d6db2725.gif

I went to bed believing the polls, that Hillary would win. I awakened the next AM stunned that Trump had won instead. I'm a little less stunned now, but still baffled.
Same here but I think it's simple - While the DNC was determined to put Hillary in office she was a justifiably unpopular candidate who ran a terrible campaign. Add to that the fact that the media had been telling everyone she was a shoo in a lot of people who would have voted for her (or at least against Trump) didn't feel it was necessary to vote and here we are. Even then, if it hadn't been for the way the Electoral College works ....

the DNC was determined to put Hillary in office
Not sure which of us is more jaundiced here S2 #173.

I project my voter's perspective on this.
My determination was less about getting Hillary in, and more about keeping Trump out.

I've been voting against the worst of the candidates since my first vote in '72. Dick Nixon ! before HE dicks YOU !
"Oh woe is everything!" Grace06

My determination was less about getting Hillary in, and more about keeping Trump out.
That's what I told people before the 2016 election - "You may not like Hillary but she's the least worst of the options"

BTW, I tell my Canadian friends much the same thing "You may not like Justin but he's the least worst of the options"

"My husband made this comparison: You know that GIF of the monkey sticking its finger up its butt and smelling it? Every day, there's that person on the internet. And today it's me." ~ writer Bethany Mandel, on widely-posted clip of her response when asked to define "woke"

woke 1 (wōk)
v.
A past tense of wake1.
woke 2 (wōk)
adj. wok·er, wok·est
Slang
Aware of the injustice of the social system in which one lives: “The phenomenon of being woke is a cultural push to challenge problematic norms, systemic injustices and the overall status quo through complete awareness” (Raven Cras).
[African American Vernacular English, past participle of wake, to wake; see WAKE1.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

... the DNC was determined to put Hillary in office ...
When I said that I was referring to their actions in the primaries. They were of the opinion that if they could get her on the final ticket she was a shoe in to win. So they did everything in their power to gimmick the primaries so their preferred candidate would end up running in the national election.

The US (and the world) owes them for that.

Back