Quotable Quotes

That's all fine. I wouldn't quibble with the numbers, or population composition, whatever it is.

Let's not lose sight of the real issue.

In North Korea KJU operates a totalitarian dictatorship. That means, 1 man control.
In the U.S. control is in most cases not totalitarian, and may be distributed among a far broader % population.

But it's not as if pressing the magic button would render each population subcategory exactly the same number as every other, and therefore we should press that magic button.
Numerical parity is certainly not the issue.
The issue is social justice.

"Do you think they give a f**k about your bullshit fact-checking?" ~ Nick Dyer, Marjorie Taylor Greene spokesperson, when asked by a reporter about one of his boss's lies

"F**k off." ~ Dyer, when asked about another

Perhaps yes. Perhaps no. Either way, your personalizing it is a distraction / evasion.
I'm trying to maintain a family-friendly cyber-environment, and am in current (failing) negotiations with Google for a major CitizenVoice publicity campaign.
That's the way people talk.
At bus depots and bowling alleys perhaps.
We needn't exclude such patrons here. To the contrary, all are welcome. All I ask in return is that the house rules be respected, for obvious reasons of civilization and utilitarianism. I can not perceive that as unduly restrictive / oppressive.

vul·gar (vŭlgər)
adj.

a.
Crudely indecent: a vulgar joke.
b. Deficient in taste, consideration, or refinement: "that vulgar jockeying for position around the bedside of the gravely ill" (Susan Sontag).
c. Given to crudity or tastelessness, as in one's behavior: "He relentlessly vilified the studio executives as vulgar, ignorant hoodlums" (Marion Meade).

[Middle English, of or relating to the common people, from Latin vulgāris, from vulgus, the common people.]

vulgar·ly adv.
vulgar·ness n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

BTW:
I eagerly welcome any suggestion or offer of help in increasing @CV bandwidth. There's a $four $figure budget for such campaign. But newspapers don't target the @CV demographic, working pros, retirees, pandemic, age, or geography related isolates.
If there were a better BBS I'd join, and be done with administering my own.
Any BBS I've tried in the past few years has in short order proven to be amateurishly run, with promiscuous inappropriate censorship, and little if any regard for (let alone reverence for) free speech.

Not just bus depots and bowling alleys - try the executive suites of major companies. Not all of them mind you but it's not as rare as you might think.

I used to work for one of the largest financial institutions in the world and profanity was the norm.

Not just bus depots and bowling alleys* - try the executive suites of major companies.
The white house comes to mind. More than one U.S. president has been known to exhibit this character deficiency.
Not all of them mind you but it's not as rare as you might think.
How rare might I think?

The objection is not based upon inaccurate estimates of non-rarity.
The objection is based upon utilitarian civility.

I suspect a civil tongue is less offensive to potty-mouths than the other way around.

* Introduction of the term "bowling alley" here was inspired by Sir John Gielgud's character comedically introducing it in Dudly Moore's feature film Arthur.

Current Events: MAIN FORUM. Join the discussion.
Quotable Quotes

"If you put President Biden in charge of the Sahara desert, he would run out of sand." US Senator John Kennedy (R-LA) @2023 CPAC

"Pennsylvania managed to elect a vegetable. I'd love for John Fetterman to have good, gainful employment. Maybe he could be like a bag guy at a grocery storel" ~ Donald Trump Jr. at CPAC

author Haberman: "I don't think it's responsible to ignore it. I do think it's responsible to contextualize it."
... "It was incredibly cynical politics. ... We all thought we were fact-checking him [Trump] and in fact we were just spreading this further."

Colbert: "So if you shouldn't ignore him, and what he's saying are lies, but by checking the lies you repeat the lies, and drive them into people's heads, so they forget that their lies and only remember the accusations, what's left?"

a) I'm not accusing motive, but I do believe the 4th estate was complicit in getting this blusterer the presidency.

b) We / they shouldn't.
For the sake of humanity it may be time to consider isolating Trump by refusing to quote him. I realize that's an imperfect, risky formulation.

I'm not accusing motive, but I do believe the 4th estate was complicit in getting this blusterer the presidency.

Of course they were - the media was so certain that he was going to lose that a lot of people didn't bother voting. After all, why bother when the result was a foregone conclusion.

"When he's unleashed in a crowd of people, he's unbelievable. If you haven't seen the tape of him ordering in McDonald's, treat yourself." ~ Tucker Carlson on Former Guy

Of course they were - the media was so certain that he was going to lose that a lot of people didn't bother voting. After all, why bother when the result was a foregone conclusion.
Yes, iirc Hillary was reported as ahead in the polls for over a year before the election. ASTOUNDINGLY !! they did not report the electoral college overlay. Instead they merely reported the raw poll data.
on Former Guy
Not sure who / what that is.

Hillary was reported as ahead in the polls for over a year before the election.
Yep, and that alone was enough to convince a lot of people that there was no need to vote.

Of course it didn't help that Hillary not only ran a terrible campaign but her public persona is far from pleasant. I spoke to quite a few people who didn't want to vote because they didn't like either candidate - when I asked them which one would be "least worst" they all said Hillary but then went on to say that she's got it locked so there's no need for me to vote.

S2 #153
It's a bedeviling collective action problem. Rarely does a single ballot determine an election outcome, particularly within a population of hundreds of millions.
Sorites Paradox a bit. Statistically we can accurately express the victory margin of a given election, after the polls have closed.

What is the argument for persuading voters with low ratings on the vehemence scale to cast their ballots whether vehement or not?

We can cite the cautionary tale, "President Donald Trump". We can cite the consequence, "legislation from the bench" overturning Roe. That doesn't seem to persuade, until after it's too late.
"Don't boo. Vote!" Senator Obama responding to sympathetic audience jeers to his campaign speeches

"We will get rid of bad and ugly buildings." ~ Trump campaign pledge, at CPAC
Wonderful.
So will the demolition of Manhattan's Trump Tower be completed after you lose the election? Or would you prefer after you lose your party's nomination?

"We will support baby boomers and we will support baby bonuses for a new baby boom, how does that sound? I want a baby boom. You men are so lucky out there. You are so lucky, men." ~ Trump at CPAC

"We will support baby boomers and we will support baby bonuses for a new baby boom, how does that sound? I want a baby boom. You men are so lucky out there. You are so lucky, men." ~ Trump at CPAC
The cliche' is that it's young children that lack the guile to avoid making unintended embarrassing disclosures.
In a well matched pair, both man and woman are satisfied.
When mismatched, one or the other may not be.
If Trump's baseline perception was that it's the woman that is satisfied, would he not have said: "You women are so lucky out there. You are so lucky, women."

btw:
It took a World War to inspire the post WWII baby boom.
Trump seems to exaggerate his own influence to conflate his comment on population bulge at a CPAC mêlée with a World War. I appreciate the similarity, but more of kind than degree.

Back