Quotable Quotes

230421commentingOnKimmel.JPG
ABC-TV host Kimmel replied, calling Trump "Vladimir Gluten".
"As the most pro-life president in American history I will continue to stand strong against the extreme late term abortionists of the Democrat party who believe in abortion on demand, in the 9th month of pregnancy and even executing babies after birth." Trump / C-SPAN 2024
Kimmel's reply: "Do they strap the baby into an electric high-chair? How does it work?"

Kimmel added, Republicans might be OK with abortion if doctors used AR-15's.

"It's a total outrage!...Tucker, come work with us. Solovyov Live is waiting for you...They'll throw him in prison, wait and see...Freedom to Tucker Carlson!" ~ host of Russian TV propaganda shows The Evening with Vladimir Solovyov and Solovyov Live

As his rape trial begins

"That's Marla, yeah. That's my wife." ~ Trump, being shown a photo of W. Jean Carroll after saying in a deposition that she wasn't his "type"

"People are not affecting climate change. You're going to tell me that back in the Ice Age, how much taxes did people pay and how many changes did governments make to melt the ice?" ~ Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene

"The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy." ~ Trump, January 7, 2021

"Listen, you just hang in. You guys are going to be okay...You've been through too much." ~ Trump, on Thursday, embracing convicted J6er Micki Larson-Olson and autographing the backpack she carried to the Capitol

1682764517323.png

"We've turned the Russian Army -- the second army in the world -- into what? Who the hell knows...What kind of army are we if we couldn't even manage with itty bitty Ukraine? It's a complete mess everywhere...Russia is on the brink of catastrophe. We need to stop deceiving the population and telling them that everything is fine." ~ Wagner Group founder Yevgeny Prigozhin

mRWyKnk.png

mJ9Y8Ae.png

S2 #249
a)
- pew -

b)
For a paternity test on J.C.? Should be interesting.

"Either Joseph or a Roman soldier ..." S2 #251
A Roman soldier walked into a bar, held up two fingers and said: "Five beers please."

And if Ogden Nash will forgive me: - Vice is nice, but incest is best. - Did Mary have a brother? The incest taboo is cross-cultural. But as incest is already featured twice in holy scripture, once with Adam, again with Noah, the Mary / JC thing would complete the biblical 3.

If you ask a biblical literalist why incest wasn't a problem in the Garden they'll likely tell you that Adam and Eve's genes were perfect so there were no issues relating to hereditary diseases.

And we can't ignore the fact that the people who wrote the bible had no knowledge of genetics whatsoever. So why ban incest. Realistically, a ban on incest made sense because if you married someone from outside your immediate family you expanded your circle of supporters - more people you could call on in time of need. But if you married a close relative you didn't gain that.

As you know S2, education and intelligence are two different things. Your relatively rare Internet presence is one that features both.
It's an education for me, but an uphill struggle to try to reciprocate. I'll keep trying.
And we can't ignore the fact that the people who wrote the bible had no knowledge of genetics whatsoever.
Not until Watson & Crick perhaps. But:

Gregor Mendel discovered the basic principles of heredity through experiments with pea plants, long before the discovery of DNA and genes. Mendel was an Augustinian monk at St Thomas’s Abbey near Brünn (now Brno, in the Czech Republic). He studied natural sciences and mathematics at the University of Vienna, Austria, but twice failed to obtain a teaching certificate, instead becoming a part-time assistant teacher and carrying out research in plant breeding.
His most famous experiments were done between 1857 and 1864, during which time he grew some 10,000 pea plants. Pea plants are hermaphroditic, meaning they have both male and female sex cells and usually fertilise themselves. Mendel was able to cross-breed the plants by transferring pollen with a paintbrush. He meticulously recorded a range of characteristics for each plant, including its height, pod shape, pea shape and pea colour. When plants self-fertilised, these characteristics remained consistent in the offspring.

https://www.newscientist.com/people/gregor-mendel/

Humans seemed to do pretty well breeding dogs (before Watson & Crick).
& a textbook example:

Heikegani​

Species of crab​

Heikegani (平家蟹, ヘイケガニ, (Literal meaning: Heike Crab), Heikeopsis japonica) is a species of crab native to Japan, with a shell that bears a pattern resembling a human face (a case of pareidolia) which is interpreted to be the face of an angry samurai hence the nickname samurai crab. The crabs are named after the once powerful… +

Westermarck effect: individuals who spend large amounts of time with each other under the age of six, raised together, regardless of relationship, tend to become desensitized to each other, and they will not generally develop sexual attraction to each other later in life. This idea is sometimes referred to as “reverse imprinting,” and it is named for Edvard Westermarck, a Finnish sociologist. [source: Wiki] *

It's not pure coincidence. When Japanese fishermen found crabs that looked particularly like a samurai, they'd toss them back into the sea, where over countless generations the species acquired the appearance of an angry Asian warrior. Collective artificial selection?

Regarding analysis of holy scripture:
I've found the most persuasive critics of holy scripture to be biblical scholars, you included.
"Every religion seems to me to produce a fundamentalist element, and they root that fundamentalism in the claim that they possess the only truth, and they're going to impose that truth on anybody that doesn't have it. Now we've done that as Christians in the past. We didn't like Galileo because we didn't think he quite understood where the sun was in relation to the Earth. We persecuted Jews. We did inquisitions. We had religious wars. We told women they were second class citizens. We today persecute gay and lesbian people constantly in the name of the god of love. I find that attitude appalling."

"I've had 16 death threats. None of them have come from Buddhists or atheists, they've all come from Bible quoting true believers, which I find rather interesting." Episcopal Bishop John S. Spong
Perhaps the last nail in the coffin came from the eminent scholarship of Bishop Ussher, who by meticulous scholarly analysis traced human origins (Genesis) back to October, 4004 BC.
Geological strata exposed at such locations as the Grand Canyon reveal this date is off by many orders of magnitude. Not likely that was Ussher's intent. But ...

* PS
I suspect in some cases mythopoeic explanations were inferred: - god is punishing me for boinking within my own bloodline, with a son with two heads -, or whatever.
They would have had rudimentary understanding of heredity, for example cause for alarm if a son more closely resembled the postman than the husband. The details came later.

Sounds like someone is going thru withdrawal ...

"I used to be on Fox three, four, five, six, ten times a week. I haven't been on in nine months. Not a call, not an invite, not anything." ~ Donald Trump Jr.

Sounds like someone is going thru withdrawal ...
"I used to be on Fox three, four, five, six, ten times a week. I haven't been on in nine months. Not a call, not an invite, not anything." ~ Donald Trump Jr.
"Children would rather be praised than punished,
but they'd rather be punished than ignored." Psychologist Joy Browne

Dj,
have you considered bleaching your hair like your sister?

"I will do what's right. I don't care if it costs me an election. I don't care if the school principal gets mad at me or the county commissioners get upset at me, or if the flight attendant kicks me off the plane." ~ Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene

Of course, if she did what's right, she'd resign.

"Trump won the 2020 election. It was stolen from him." ~ Sean Hannity, on his Fox show

"I never believed for a second Trump won the 2020 election." ~ Hannity, under oath in court

"I will do what's right. I don't care if it costs me an election. I don't care if the school principal gets mad at me or the county commissioners get upset at me, or if the flight attendant kicks me off the plane." ~ Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene
"I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's gunna be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now." Candidate Trump 15/09/27 to CBS Scott Pelly

One of Trump's signature achievements, attacking Obamacare intent on repealing it entirely.

"You're going to have such great healthcare at a tiny fraction of the cost." candidate Trump 16/10/25 from campaign podium

"We're not gunna have like a 2 day period. And we're not gunna have a 2 year period, where there's nothing. It will be repealed and replaced." President Elect Trump CBS News 16/11/13

"It'll be repeal and replace. It will be essentially simultaneously. It will be various segments you understand but it will most likely be on the same day or the same week but probably the same day. Could be the same hour."
President Elect Trump 17/01/11 @NYC News Conference: source - FNS 17/07/02

"If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now (Trump/McConnell-care), they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!" U.S. President Trump 17/06/30 03:37 tweet

"Trump won the 2020 election. It was stolen from him." ~ Sean Hannity, on his Fox show
"I never believed for a second Trump won the 2020 election." ~ Hannity, under oath in court
Hannity per S2 #259
So personal integrity, not a priority for you then?

Back