Trump Gets Triggered By Looming Criminal Charges & Melts Down

Judge upholds $83m E Jean Carroll defamation verdict against Trump

The former president’s motion for a new trial was denied and his argument deemed ‘entirely without merit’
Coral Murphy Marcos

A federal judge on Thursday upheld the verdict and award of more than $83m to the writer E Jean Carroll in a defamation case against Donald Trump after he called her a liar for accusing him of sexually assaulting her.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/25/david-pecker-testimony-trump-trial
Judge Lewis Kaplan, a senior district judge on the US district court for the southern district of New York, denied Trump’s motion for a new trial and affirmed that Carroll suffered harm caused by Trump’s 2019 public statements.

“Mr Trump’s argument is entirely without merit both as a matter of law and as a matter of fact,” Kaplan wrote in his opinion released on Thursday.
Carroll, a journalist and advice columnist, first sued Trump in 2019 for sexually abusing her in a ...

CONTINUED

“Mr Trump’s argument is entirely without merit both as a matter of law and as a matter of fact,” Kaplan wrote in his opinion released on Thursday.
sear ramble:
Superlative hyperbole is Trump's watermark. Judge Kaplan mirrors Trump here, satirically perhaps: "entirely without merit ...".

What's alarming is Kaplan's comment bears at least superficial resemblance to hyperbole. And if so, dismissed. BUT !
Superficial appearance aside, Kaplan may have nailed it here.

We know the case is extreme when the syntax that accurately describes it is so easily mistaken for hyperbole.

"Trump and his lawyers are making it absolutely clear that they believe the presidency should be a dictatorship." S2 #462
a) Indeed.
b) They have no idea how difficult it would be to bring back "Liberty & justice for all" after a second & indefinite Trump rulership.

I found a MAGA: https://forums.delphiforums.com/VRWC_Homeland/messages/?msg=36887.1
Part Trump sycophant, part Trump disciple.

Barr: Trump Brought Up ‘Things Like’ Executing Rivals a Lot​

William Vaillancourt
Fri, April 26, 2024 at 11:42 PM EDT·2 min read

CNN
Bill Barr, Donald Trump’s former attorney general who once said that voting for the indicted ex-president would be “playing Russian roulette with the country,” stood by his decision to vote for Trump in November while also suggesting that Trump used to regularly float the idea of executing his political rivals while in office.
Barr made the nonchalant admission Friday during a CNN interview when anchor Kaitlan Collins mentioned former Trump White House communications director Alyssa Farah Griffin claiming that Barr was present in the summer of 2020 when Trump suggested that an unknown White House leaker should be executed.
“I remember him being very mad about that. I actually don’t remember him saying ‘executing,’ but I wouldn‘t dispute it, you know… The president would lose his temper and say things like that. I doubt he would’ve actually carried it out,” Barr said.

Collins then questioned whether Trump would say things like that “on other occasions.”
Barr responded that people would sometimes take Trump “too literally.”
“He would say things similar to that on occasions to blow off steam. But I wouldn’t take them literally every time he did it,” he acknowledged.
“Why not?” Collins pressed.
“Because at the end of the day, it wouldn’t be carried out and you could talk sense into him,” Barr argued, prompting Collins to counter that an unexecuted order doesn’t remove the threat.
Barr insisted that there was no threat. https://news.yahoo.com/barr-trump-brought-things-executing-034257189.html

2024 Elections

DeSantis meets with Trump to help with 2024 election​

The get-together was arranged by a Florida real-estate broker.
Gov. Ron DeSantis has not ruled out a 2028 run for president and appears to be making amends with Republicans and others he’s fought with.
By Kimberly Leonard
04/28/2024 03:56 PM EDT
Updated:04/28/2024 04:59 PM EDT

MIAMI — Gov. Ron DeSantis and former President Donald Trump seem ready to put their feud from the Republican presidential primary aside — for real this time.
The two Florida Republicans met in Miami Sunday morning to talk about how they could work together during the general election, according to half a dozen people familiar with the meeting who were granted anonymity to speak freely.

With all Trump's mandatory court appearances Trump's ability to campaign is reduced (modified). So it may benefit Trump to have a running mate that can campaign, and grab headlines in the tight race with Biden. No major rumors about the names on Trump's VP shortlist. Sure seems like DeSantis is on it. An all Florida ticket.

DQBES6u.jpeg

I'm sure he won't do it again ....

"I'm sure he won't do it again ...." Kreskin #468
You beat me to it.
Wouldn't surprise me if this is a source of amusement to Trump.
Is Trump even paying the $9K? I thought Trump's campaign donors were paying.

Separately, Trump has made campaign news announcing his 2nd presidential term agenda, reportedly including deporting all illegal aliens. This is not the first presidential campaign to feature such campaign promise.
Expert reaction says it's impossible.
And my lay opinion it would harm the economy if Trump succeeded, including higher food prices, as illegal aliens are often found harvesting our crops, working in our meat-packing plants, etc.

"Jail may be a necessary punishment" in the future.
source: NBC-TV News 24/04/30

The question is, could Trump continue to dominate news cycles from inside the metal cage.

I know it sounds like a joke levying that small a penalty but my understanding is that the $9,000 fine ($1,000 per violation) is the maximum the judge could levy.

" the $9,000 fine ($1,000 per violation) is the maximum the judge could levy." S2 #471
Max. $$$ perhaps, but I suspect judicial discretion was used to avoid incarceration.
Whether non-Trump defendants would be / have been handled so leniently, I'm not certain. I suspect not.
I understand the difference between impropriety, and the vulnerability to false accusation of impropriety.
But at some point giving away the store doesn't make sense. I gather Trump has now been warned ("Jail may be a necessary punishment" in the future." NBC #470).
"EXONERATION" DJ #472
Trump's popularity seems to be based more on style than substance, often the case with tyrants. Hitler an obvious example.

I can't deny the in general Democrat & in particular Biden appearance of Nero fiddling while Rome burns. At stake is civilization, difficult to imagine a higher stakes contest.
We'll see how the puzzle pieces fall together as election day approaches.

I consider it a personal failing of mine. I realize the 2024 presidential election is potentially consequential.
Perhaps I have Trump crisis fatigue (Tcf). But this has been going on for so long, I'm losing my ability to endure it.

Meanwhile, I've got no clear insight on where the jury is headed with this.

Trump Found in Contempt, Threatened With Jail for Violating Gag Order (Again)

"The last thing I want to do is to put you in jail," Judge Juan Merchan said while reprimanding the former president in court on Monday
BY NIKKI MCCANN RAMIREZ, CATHERINA GIOINO

“I FIND YOU in criminal contempt for the 10th time.”

Days after finding Donald Trump in contempt of court and fining him $9,000, Judge Juan Merchan once again ruled that the former president has violated his court-imposed gag order. He fined him an additional $1,000 and once again warned him that continued violations will result in jail time.

“It appears that the $1,000 fines are not serving as a deterrent,” Merchan told the former president on Monday. “The last thing I want to do is to put you in jail. You are the former president of the United States, and possibly the next president as well. There are many reasons why incarceration is truly a last resort for you.”

“So as much as I do not want to propose a jail sanction,” Merchan warned. “That I will, if necessary.”

Last week, the Merchan ruled on a slate of alleged breaches of the order raised by prosecutors. Trump was found to have ...

CONTINUED

"The last thing I want to do is to put you in jail," Judge Juan Merchan said

“I FIND YOU in criminal contempt for the 10th time.” #476
Merchan!
You're a fruitcake !

Ten frick in times ?!
You make a mockery of our criminal justice system, and you disgrace our judiciary.

If you were strutting about naked outside the courthouse we might hope some among your fellow law judges would take you aside and straighten you out.
But “I FIND YOU in criminal contempt for the 10th time.” #476 doesn't even get you a postcard ?!

You're off the rails Merchan !

I guess we know how much a judge costs ....

DEFINITION OF COLLUSION: Judge Cannon's secret right-wing getaway: Why didn't we know about this?

hi1Lze0.jpeg

Let me ask you a question: How many all-expenses-paid vacations at luxury hunting and fishing lodges have you enjoyed over the last few years? I’m not talking about a motel in the boonies of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan or a drafty log cabin on a lake in Maine or Minnesota.

We’re talking about a luxury resort on 1,200 acres alongside the Yellowstone River just outside Yellowstone National Park. We’re talking about a lodge featuring rooms with stone fireplaces that go for upwards of $1,000 a night in high season, meals that include “house-cured meats from local ranches, garden-fresh produce from nearby farms, and, of course plenty of Northwest craft beers and spirits,” as the resort’s website describes the offerings.

It's called the Sage Lodge in Pray, Montana, and it’s where George Mason University sends gaggles of federal judges for a week-long “colloquium” every year or so.

Paid for by the Law and Economics Center at the Antonin Scalia Law School, the “colloquium” held at the Sage Lodge in 2021, for example, featured lectures on such subjects as “Woke Law!” – and yes, the exclamation point is part of the lecture topic — by one Todd J. Zywicki, who is George Mason University Foundation Professor of Law at the Antonin Scalia Law School and a senior fellow at the Center for Monetary and Financial Alternatives of the Cato Institute.

Another juicy topic covered at the Sage Lodge in 2021 was “Unprofitable Education: Student Loans, Higher Education Costs, and the Regulatory State,” also featuring a lecture by Zywicki, a topic that rings what we might call a rather different bell after the Supreme Court struck down President Biden’s student loan forgiveness program last year.

The Antonin Scalia Law School, by the way, was established and largely funded by the efforts of Leonard Leo of the Federalist Society, who helped put together $30 million from conservative donors, including Leo himself, to rename the law school after the late legendary right-wing justice, who it will be remembered died of a heart attack in 2016 at another luxury hunting lodge, that one in Texas, while on a trip paid for by wealthy conservative “friends of the court,” I guess we could call them. The other major donor to the Scalia Law School was the Charles Koch Foundation, which threw in a handy $10 million.

Why are we talking about luxury hunting lodges and right-wing “colloquiums” for judges? Because one of our favorite federal judges, Aileen Cannon of Florida, currently presiding over the case against Donald Trump over the secret documents he kept at Mar-a-Lago, was a guest at that same 2021 “colloquium” at the Sage Lodge, and the one held in 2022 as well.

The thing is, Cannon failed to file the form known as a Privately Funded Seminar Disclosure Report, which lists whoever paid for the judge to attend the seminar, who the speakers were and what topics were discussed.

The form is supposed to be posted on the website of every federal court within 30 days of the time a judge attending such an all-expenses-paid seminar. Cannon, however, somehow forgot to do so, so anyone who might be interested in learning who was paying for Cannon’s vacations and the nature of her judicial education would have been out of luck.

So why do we suppose Judge Cannon was so shy about who’s paying for her luxury trips and what she might have learned there? Oh, I don’t know … might it be because she didn’t want anyone to know about her links to the Leonard Leo wing of legal theory? Could it have been that she didn’t want it known that she had taken money from an organization that was in large part funded by billionaires friendly to the man whose case she was presiding over?

More here: https://www.salon.com/2024/05/07/cannons-secret-right-wing-getaway-why-didnt-we-know-about-this/

I guess we know how much a judge costs ....

DEFINITION OF COLLUSION: Judge Cannon's secret right-wing getaway: Why didn't we know about this?

- When a criminal evades detection the criminal might expect to get away with it.
- When a criminal is identified as in #479 and still gets away with it?

This story doesn't make sense to me. BUT it reminds me of the recently reported $quarter $million mobile home AJ Thomas has been enjoying lately.

Back