Quotable Quotes

"The center of gravity is the civilian population. And if you drive them into the arms of the enemy you replace a tactical victory with a strategic defeat."
United States Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin commenting the first week of December, 2023 From Simi Valley, CA on Israel's War on Hamas

" ... common sense is rare." Rustic (the pseud of a poster at another board)

"One of the things that we see happening today is a sort of sleepwalking into dictatorship." ~ Liz Cheney on the US

"When somebody is President of the United States the authority it total, and that's the way it's gotta be." ~ Trump, 2020

"When somebody is President of the United States the authority it total, and that's the way it's gotta be." ~ Trump, 2020

"When the President [of the United States of America] does it, that means it is not illegal." President Richard M. Nixon

Two peas in a pod.
- Nixon, the only U.S. president to resign in disgrace.
- Trump, the only U.S. president to be party to armed insurrection.

Both Republicans don't you know.

"I will not rest until your family can afford a beautiful home and a brand-new beautiful car of your choice -- combustion, electric, any way you want it, you're gonna have lots of choice...They wanna talk about your dishwashers, how much water you're gonna have in your dishwashers, even though they don't work...because they wanna take 'em away...They wanna change everything. These people are sick." ~ Trump

"I will not rest until your family can afford ..." ~ Trump
I don't recall reading stats on the Trump economy, before and after his 4 years. Did buying power increase? And if Trump can do as he claims, why hasn't he already done so?

More to the point, why does anyone even listen to what he says?

“I'm gunna be workin' for you. I'm not gunna have time to go play golf.” GOP pres. candidate Trump “8/2/16”
“I'm gunna be in the White House a lot. I'm not leavin'.” GOP pres. cand Trump “2/11/16”

"I'm a unifier. This country is totally divided. Barack Obama has divided this country unbelievably. And it's all, it's all hatred. What can I tell you? I've never seen anything like it.
Now: I'm going to unify the country. I'll be a unifier. I think I'll bring people together. And that includes Blacks and Whites and everything. I think people will come together." Republican primary candidate Trump October 2015

"I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's gunna be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now." Candidate Trump 15/09/27 to CBS Scott Pelly
"You're going to have such great healthcare at a tiny fraction of the cost." candidate Trump 16/10/25 from campaign podium

“We fell in love.” President Trump commenting on his relationship w/ NK/KJU
“There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea.” President Trump 2018, after his poorly prepared summit w/ NK/KJU

&

"I will build a great, great wall on our Southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall, mark my words." Republican primary presidential candidate Donald J. Trump 15/06/16 www.DonaldJTrump.com

bonus:
"President Trump I believe was the best president of the 21st century. It's a fact." Vivek Ramaswamy 23/08/23
OK Ramswaddle, then why are you running against him?

"We've got the weakest military that we've had in your or my lifetime." ~ Sen. Tommy Tuberville / S2 #472

US·Military Times

Tuberville drops holds on more than 430 military promotions

The move is a signifcant breakthrough in the 10-month standoff between the GOP lawmaker and Pentagon leaders over abortion.

Some have suggested Tuberville intended to delay until the next Trump administration, to provide Republicans the choice (and give Trump the credit?).

"You're going to have such great healthcare at a tiny fraction of the cost." candidate Trump 16/10/25 from campaign podium

HhEdrdW.png

And that healthcare plan will be released in two weeks. Honest.

And that healthcare plan will be released in two weeks. Honest.
This proves how innovative Trump really is.
How many other U.S. presidents broke the same campaign promise in separate elections?

"Proof of Trotsky's farsightedness is that none of his predictions have come true yet." Isaac Deutscher

"The older I get, the better I was." Sen Ility

"IF HE LOSES, TRUMP WILL CONCEDE GRACEFULLY." ~ Wall Street Journal headline, 11/7/20

"Our elections are totally rigged...The radical left Democrats rigged the presidential election of 2020." ~ Trump, three days ago

"Boring." ~ Trump on Liz Cheney book detailing his attempt to steal election

"Boring." ~ Trump on Liz Cheney book detailing his attempt to steal election
Trumpsicle,
"bore" can mean either to render dull with repetition, tedium. It also means to make a hole. Thanks to the peril of the homonym, you're half right.
For you that's an improvement.

PS
I never cared much for her pappy. But Liz and Mitt have at least demonstrated principle may be rare in DC, but not as yet altogether gone.

When Liz' pappy blasted his friend in a face with a shotgun in a drunken hunting "accident, late night comedy seized the moment.

“For years Democrats have been shooting themselves in the foot. Cheney taught ‘em a lesson. Aim higher.” Jay Leno

"We have to blur some of the faces of persons who participated in the events of that day because we don't want them to be retaliated against, and to be charged by the DOJ, and to have other concerns and problems." ~ House Speaker Mike Johnson, on J6 footage

So much for the GOP being the party of law and order

"We have to blur some of the faces of persons who participated in the events of that day because we don't want them to be retaliated against, and to be charged by the DOJ, and to have other concerns and problems." ~ House Speaker Mike Johnson, on J6 footage #491
They're not mutually exclusive. Thus it's not the issue of which of the two applies, but the ratio between them.
The GOP didn't invent crooked politicians, even if it has concentrated them in the new millennium.

What may have changed is, now instead of malefactors merely thinking evil silently, now they're openly confess it. Emboldening them is a risk potentially fatal to the United States Constitution.

Who cares?
"So much for the GOP being the party of law and order" S2 #491
That's either the lament of a "seasoned" citizen witness to the degradation, - OR -
an insightful if painful observation by a keen student of history. (or both?)

This ideological cascade failure of the Republican party transcends fiction. It's not even plausible.

Speaking of healthcare (#487 & 488)

Obamacare repeal is back, and it's still bad

The policy stakes in 2024 matter a lot​

MATTHEW YGLESIAS

Last week, North Carolina became the fortieth state to expand Medicaid, meaning about 600,000 low-income people will soon be eligible for health insurance. Unfortunately, these programs never have 100% uptake, but even so, a North Carolinian who is eligible and finds herself in need of medical services will be able to sign up and get the care that she needs. This is happening because North Carolina has a Democratic Party governor, Roy Cooper, and because the GOP’s state legislature (unlike the one in Wisconsin) eventually relented on the Medicare point.

It’s also an important reminder, I think, of the importance of banal policy stakes in politics — Cooper is not the only red state Democratic governor to have accomplished this since the Affordable Care Act passed in 2010.

Cooper’s operating in a red-shaded state, but governors like Andy Beshear in Kentucky and former governor Jon Bel Edwards in Louisiana have pulled it off, too. The largest non-expansion states, Texas and Florida, are to the right of North Carolina but the left of Kentucky and Louisiana, and trying to win governors races in those states ought to be a high priority. Democratic candidates will require ....

CONTINUED

"Why am I the only person, on this stage at least, who can say that January 6th now does look like it was an inside job." ~ Vivek Ramaswamy

"I heard that one of the debators say it was an inside job. It was. It was an inside job on the part of Donald Trump, and his henchmen in the Congress of the United States." ~ former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

"Why am I the only person, on this stage at least, who can say that January 6th now does look like it was an inside job." ~ Vivek Ramaswamy #494
"Why"? Because you're the only one on this stage? numb nut
"I heard that one of the debators say it was an inside job. It was. It was an inside job on the part of Donald Trump, and his henchmen in the Congress of the United States." ~ former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Pelosi01.JPG
"I'm an extremely stable genius." President of the United States of America Donald J. Trump 19/05/23
"When the 'extremely stable genius' starts acting more presidential, I'll be happy to work with him on infrastructure, trade, and other issues." U.S. Congressional Speaker Nancy Pelosi 19/05/23 13:36 tweet reply

Acting "more" presidential? Can't act "more" presidential if he's not acting even vaguely presidential.
Yeah Nancy! You big fat income pooh!

But seriously folks:
Pelosi is a world-class legislator, revered by Dems for her competence, reviled by Reps. for much the same reason.
She did better than sear would have. It is not easy for the rational mind to relate to such a loony as Trump. I endorse your critique @ #496 S2. But I'm sympathetic to her.
In my opinion better that she quip Trump redirecting Trump's idle boast, to national legislation. Silk purse from sow's ear.

BONUS Q:
If President Trump serves a second term from a prison cell, will they call it "the big house", or "the white house annex", or ... ? "The orange cell"?
"I’m in this race because the truth needs to be spoken, he [Trump] is unfit.
This is a guy who just said this past week that he wants to use the Department of Justice to go after his enemies when he gets in there. And the fact of the matter is he’s unfit to be president and there is no bigger issue in this race, Megyn than Donald Trump. And those [poll] numbers prove it."
Governor Christie 23/12/06

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/rnc-fourth-presidential-primary-debate-12-06-23-transcript bold emphasis sear's

"No. Other than Day One." ~ Trump, asked by Sean Hannity if he would ever abuse presidential power as retribution against anyone

Not plausible.
With Trump as far in the lead as he is this suggest that those that want Trump want to dump the Constitution, in favor of a dictatorship.
That being the case, if you'll pardon my deliberate innumeracy, that suggest substantially more than 50% of the U.S. population is below average.

Back