Photos, vids, etc ....

"phonemic paraphasia ..." #1,178
Part of the problem is the assertions are made in comic format.
I'd find it far more persuasive, far more alarming if presented in a prestigious peer-reviewed medical journal.

"40-month" "15 years" #1,179
That's anecdotal.
I'd like to see the stats. I suspect they would corroborate rather than refute.

Millions of people didn't vote in 2016 and this is what happened

TyYBc99.jpeg
#1,180
I reached the age of voter eligibility in time to vote in the '72 election.
In that election as in most others, I voted against the worst candidate, rather than voting for one I was enthusiastic about.
And in 1992 when I enthusiastically voted for 3rd party candidate Andre Marrou [Libertarian] he didn't get 10% of the vote. Worked out OK. H. Ross Perot split the Republican vote, turning the white house over to Bill Clinton for 8 years. 8 years good enough for me to retire at age 43. Thanks Bill.

There are lots of high impact issues at stake in 2024:
- Russia / Ukraine
- women's right of choice
- US membership in NATO
- China
- anthropogenic climate change
- "soft landing", etc.

And yet voter apathy does seem to be prominent.
226257849260d12d94e74cc99e45670d6db2725.gif

"Millions of people didn't vote in 2016 and this is what happened" #1,180
Apart from the electorate on election day, it seems our best defense may be the U.S. judiciary, or the broader judicial system.
Because Trump has been fairly open about his disestablishment intentions a 2nd Trump presidential term might threaten that judiciary.
So if not out of principle, if not because of what is right, if not because of the law, is it possible our judiciary will contain / restrain Trump, simply to preserve their own petty fiefdom, which otherwise might be in terminal jeopardy?

from LB > GT #1,192
1715439828045.jpeg

This belongs in a time-capsule.
- It indicates George Takei, a familiar celebrity and civil rights champion is following Linda B, a relative unknown. [a celebrity following a relative unknown, constructive context for the comment theme - social rank]
- It confronts us with a candid glimpse of this well-entrenched cultural double-standard.
- It quantifies the attention it's getting, hundreds of thousands of views, etc.

"rapist Donald Trump" LB #1,192
"My Dad used to say -The greatest sin of all is abuse of power, and the cardinal sin of all is a man raising his hand or taking advantage of a woman.- ... and here's a guy who says -I'm a star.- talk about power. I'm a billionaire, I'm a star, I'm a celebrity. So I can go and intimidate women, & allowing me to assault them and assume they're not going to say anything. That is the ultimate abuse of power. ... And I don't understand how anyone can remotely justify that." Vice President Joe Biden commenting on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's public confessions of sexually abusing women

Some satire is more subtle than others.
My initial reaction to #1,195 was it's whining about the economy.

It took:
"... $17.58 for Mr. Trump's legal bills." he
for me to realize Trudeau is digging deeper than that here.

Perhaps in part Trudeau reflects our askew spending priorities as a nation, in illustrative microcosm. Not sure.

My personal preference is a more direct message:

bfb25d34ab68b1ff95c7a2cf2794f51d59f9512.jpg

That's one of my faves, though the "intelligent design" fad seems to have been a flash in the pan.

Jean-Luc,
It is folly to attempt to rationalize the irrational.
You Jean-Luc cannot reason them out of their preposterous positions, in part because the reasoning they cite isn't the issue. It's merely their justification.
Therefore even decisive refutation of a reason they offer doesn't undermine their position, which is based on other than their stated reason/s.

We didn't have to await the development of warp-drive to realize that captain.
"In the fevered state of our country, no good can ever result from any attempt to set one of these fiery zealots to rights, either in factor principle. They are determined as to the facts they will believe,and the opinions on which they will act. Get by them, therefore, as you would by an angry bull; it is not for a man of sense to dispute the road with such an animal."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), U.S. president. Letter, 24 Nov. 1808, to his grandson, Thomas Jefferson Randolph

So he's just admitted that he counterfeits money - why hasn't he been arrested?

KeR6LWX.png

For clarification George Floyd was murdered when he allegedly paid with a fake 20$ at a grocery store. And because it was never entered into evidence, it's basically guaranteed it wasn't counterfeit otherwise the cops would have made a huge fuss about it.

"he counterfeits money - why hasn't he been arrested?" #1,198
- totally -
"Republicans make it legal to destroy (or sell) public records" #1,198
You've struck a nerve here S2.
I've already been stone-walled by government despite me going through the formal FOIL process.
State, county, & local governments all continue to operate as off the record as they can. Disgraceful.

Back