H E A D L I N E S : 2 0 2 2 & 2 0 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIFA World Cup 2022 2PM/ET on FOX
United States vs Wales

We're probably going to win, because whales don't have legs.

I'm stunned.
NBC-TV's Jeopardy host & champion Ken Jennings just taught me:
instead of trying to do the mental arithmetic to determine 12% of 75, instead figure 75% of 12. = 9
I wasn't sure if he was joking so I tried it with a few other numbers. It seems to work.
I'm not sure why, or if there are exceptions to the rule.

12% of 75 = 9
75% of 12 = 9

80% of 8 = 6.4
8% of 80 = 6.4

7% of 250 = 17.5
250% of 7 = 17.5

411% of 3 = 12.33
3% of 411 = 12.33

"Live & learn."

I'm not sure why, or if there are exceptions to the rule.
Multiplication and division are commutative. That is (a*b) = (b*a). Same goes for division.

So

12% of 75
= (12/100)*75
=75*(12/100)
=(75*12)/100
=(75/100)*12
=75% of 12

Same logic holds for the rest of your examples.

S2 #43
I'm not sure where I get the notion it's counterintuitive. Ten minutes to Five o'clock isn't the same as Five minutes to Ten o'clock. Perhaps there's a better example. My thanks to Ken Jennings & S2 for lighting the path.

faviconV2
Yahoo News

Op-Ed: Does the 1st Amendment protect a right to discriminate?​

On Monday, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in a case that threatens to open the door widely to businesses being allowed to violate anti-discrimination laws. If the court rules that the 1st Amendment protects the right of business owners to discriminate — based on claims of freedom of speech or free exercise of religion — civil rights laws banning discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion or sexual orientation will be severely weakened everywhere in this country.

The case before the court, 303 Creative LLC vs. Elenis, involves Lorie Smith, a graphic artist and a web designer. She wants to design websites for weddings, but she refuses to do so for same-sex weddings because of her religious beliefs.

Colorado law prohibits businesses that sell or offer services to the public from discriminating based on “disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry.” The law also prohibits businesses from displaying a “notice” that “indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods [or] services ... will be refused” based on a protected characteristic.

I'm not comfortable leaving this decision to the Roberts court.

We've already seen similar cases re bakers who refuse to bake wedding cakes for same sex marriages.

Or if you go back a few years Maurice Bessinger used exactly the same arguments when he refused to seat blacks in his chain or restaurants. He lost - a unanimous decision where the Justices ruled that his arguments were "frivolous".

S2 #46
I remember the wedding cake deal.
The reason I find this so alarming is not merely the nature of the law suit, but that the Roberts court, the one that just overturned Roe will be deciding on it. I find that extremely alarming.
We have no option other then to be bitterly optimistic. Schroeder
In this rare case I'll have to settle for bitter pessimism.

If the Supremes say that the graphic artist doesn't have to do work for same sex weddings it's only a matter of time before someone decides to extend that to mixed race marriages. After all, it's not that long ago that a Louisiana JP refused to issue a marriage license to a mixed race couple. And if that's fair game, what's next?

MoscowMall201209.JPG
Russia’s Investigative Committee, which probes major crimes, said it was looking into the cause of the fire.
The head of the Moscow region’s emergency services agency said it appeared the blaze was the result of safety regulations being violated during repair work on the building.

The case before the court, 303 Creative LLC vs. Elenis, involves Lorie Smith, a graphic artist and a web designer. She wants to design websites for weddings, but she refuses to do so for same-sex weddings because of her religious beliefs.
My understanding is that she doesn't have any LGBT customers. She just wants to post a notice on her website that says hetero marriages only.

S2 #52 > S2 #48

Reductio ad absurdum.
If this web designer tricks these authoritarian "justices" into granting web designers authority to discriminate, what about at the grocery store, or the post office, or the doctor's office? Looks like The Sorcerer's Apprentice to me.

Distinguishing consequence from probability:
We're in approximate sync. on the consequence. My ill at ease derives from my suspicion (may not qualify as an appraisal) of likelihood. They'll shove the nation over the precipice, into the abyss. Terra Incognegro.
"Among life's perpetually charming questions is whether the truly evil do more harm than the self-righteous and wrong." Jon Margolis

"So the congresswoman who was crying about gay marriage has a gay nephew!!" christopher - S2 #56
A friend of Ted Cruz' son?
"My prediction .... same sex marriage is the next thing that's going to be attacked." S2
Have Republicans thought this through? To start with:

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me."
pastor Martin Niemöller

By the time their chew-chew train has momentum, they think they'll be able to protect their own pet interests from it?

And what benefit do they expect? Delighting a rabid minority within the electorate?
226257849260d12d94e74cc99e45670d6db2725.gif

PS
Seems to me anyone that deliberately, knowingly uses TikTok is colluding with the ChiComms. HEADS UP PEOPLE !

If they're going to go after same sex marriages it's only a matter of time before mixed race marriages come under the microscope (Clarence Thomas better watch out).

And then there's birth control - a sizeable percentage of those opposed to abortion want birth control banned (even for married couples). It took a Supreme Court ruling to legalize the pill countrywide. And many of those individuals are opposed to sex education in schools.

Clarence Thomas Might Have Just Broken the Law in the Supreme Court​

By Darragh Roche On 12/9/22 at 7:40 AM EST

U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas may have broken the law by refusing to recuse himself from a high-profile Supreme Court case, according to legal scholar Laurence Tribe.
Tribe, professor emeritus at Harvard University, told MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell that Thomas may have violated 28 U.S. Code § 455 because he has not disqualified himself in Moore v. Harper, a controversial case about the power to draw and strike down electoral maps.
The statute cited by Tribe deals with federal judges disqualifying themselves from cases and he argued that Thomas was in violation of the law because of "two provisions that almost any lawyer would say require Clarence Thomas not to participate at all."

United States Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas poses for an official portrait at the East Conference Room of the Supreme Court building on October 7, 2022 in Washington, DC. Thomas has not recused himself from a case involving the power to strike down electoral maps. Alex Wong/Getty Images
"One of them says that a justice—and it specifically applies to Supreme Court justices—may not participate if somebody could reasonably question that justice's impartiality," Tribe said.
"Clearly that's the case here," he said, and he also cited a section that says a justice shouldn't be involved if their spouse has an interest in the case.

"It's obvious that Ginni Thomas has an interest," Tribe said. "She was an active participant in the attempt to use something like the independent state legislature theory that was before the court on the argument on Wednesday and Clarence Thomas happily participated anyway."
In Moore v. Harper, North Carolina Republicans are asking the Supreme Court whether state courts have the legal authority to throw out electoral maps and order districts to be redrawn. The justices are considering the so-called "Independent State Legislature theory," which holds that courts do not have the power to strike down maps drawn by state legislatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back