Election 2024

Couldn't make up my mind whether this belonged here or in the Headlines thread ....

‘Just Die’: Colorado Elections Chief Who Took on Trump Sees 600% Spike in Threats

Since the start of the state's lawsuit to take Trump off the ballot, Secretary of State Jena Griswold has seen an alarming increase in threats
BY ANDREW PEREZ, ADAM RAWNSLEY, RYAN BORT, ASAWIN SUEBSAENG

COLORADO SECRETARY OF State Jena Griswold, a Democrat, supported the unsuccessful effort to block former President Donald Trump from her state’s ballot — on the grounds that he had engaged in “insurrection” by inciting the violent Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. In return, she received an escalating torrent of abuse and violent threats.

In the seven months since Colorado residents first sued the state to keep Trump off the ballot, bringing Griswold in as a co-defendant, the number of serious threats leveled against Griswold increased more than 600 percent, according to data her office provided to Rolling Stone. The threats directed at Griswold spiked amid the ...

CONTINUED

600% Spike in Threats" S2 #242

[Trump]"summoned the mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack. Everything that followed was his doing. ... There has never been a greater betrayal by a president of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution." Rep. Liz Cheney Republican Conference Chair 21/01/12,
authenticated by Cheney 21/02/07 FNS

and so far, getting away with it, mostly.
dunno.gif

Every accusation is a confession

rXxzjBA.jpeg

I mean he should know what cocaine addiction looks like, what with how much his son snorts on a daily basis

And here are pics from Getty

An observation, Melania pastes on a fake, half/hearted smiley face only in the presence of others; otherwise, she’s scowling like a badger, aging painfully in front of us despite lavish expenditures to delay the process; but mainly, she’s so obviously miserable. The check must have again bounced.

#246 Can it get worse?
“TRUMP’S VIRTUES”
I consider that outright propaganda, not biased partisanship, or divergent political perspective. It casts the opposition as the enemy.
Problem is, it's a lie millions wish to believe.
I'm a little bit sympathetic w/ Melania. I have a hunch she'd have left the Donald by now, if he weren't pressuring her into making it look like he's an adequate husband.
Wouldn't surprise me if she asked herself, - how bad could marrying this guy be ? -
Now she knows.
"Those who marry for money earn it." psychologist Joy Browne

"woke" #250
Apparently "woke" is an insult used by those who are politically asleep.
"Raise your hand ..." #251
Corroborated by recent polls demonstrating:

1 in 5 Americans think violence may solve U.S. divisions, poll finds

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/1-in-5-americans-think-violence-may-solve-u-s-divisions-poll-finds

20 percent say violence may be needed to get US back on track: Poll​

https://thehill.com/homenews/4572765-20-percent-say-violence-may-be-needed-to-get-us-back-on-track-poll/

Majority of Mass. voters believe 2024 election could lead to violence​

https://www.wgbh.org/news/politics/2024-04-08/majority-of-mass-voters-believe-2024-election-could-lead-to-violence

Most Texas Voters Think Violence Will Erupt After 2024 Election
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-20/most-texas-voters-think-violence-will-erupt-after-2024-election

"Political power grows from the barrel of a gun." Chairman Mao Tse-tung / little read book

Politics · CNN

David Hume Kennerly resigns from Gerald Ford foundation board over refusal to honor Liz Cheney with top award

David Hume Kennerly, a Pulitzer-prize-winning photographer who served in the Ford White House, announced his resignation on Tuesday from the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation board over its “short-sighted” rejection of former Rep. Liz Cheney for the organization’s yearly award.

It seems it's not that Kennerly opposed recognizing Cheney, but protests the foundation's refusal to do so.
I'm w/ Kennerly on this one.

Totally.
Problem is:
"Republicans Against Trump" #256
I wish both of them good luck. BUT !!
They'll have to "bring a friend".

Not quite sure what to make of the bipartisan endorsement: "Occupy Democrats" & " Republicans Against Trump".
"Occupy Democrats" are the one with the tweet logo. As that's now "X" I suspect this is a tenured meme. Obsolete? Don't know.

a) Can they "bring it" this November? Or alternately
b) will Trump be in prison by then?

bonus:
c) Will Harris be president before inauguration day 2029?

I first read of this "gotcha" from HuffPo.
So I watched the segment in its entirety.
"No surprise here" S2 #258
Naïvely perhaps, I thought very well of the younger Sununu (never cared much for the elder) during the primary, before Trump had sewn it up. For a while Sununu seemed to have Liz Cheney scale principle, backbone, explicitly opposing Trump for the insurrection.
- nope -
Sununu's another partisan hack *.

It's not a prediction. But I am aware the Republican presidential candidate may well be unavailable, whether imprisoned, or otherwise unable to attend to the duties of the presidency. Short of that, hope rests with Biden, or the Grim Reaper. - uh oh -

It's as simple as A B C, everybody loves George Snuffelupecus. - adorable -

* Only one of the two candidates was party to insurrection. Sununu backs the one that was.

Alabama’s Black voters seek chance to be heard after years of being silenced

Montgomery, the state’s capital, is included in a new congressional district, and on Tuesday, a runoff will decide who stands in November

Montgomery, Alabama is the birthplace of the Confederacy and of the civil rights movement. Its history speaks volumes about the state of American democracy. It is perhaps ironic, then, how the last generation of its voters have largely been silenced.

For decades, Alabama’s capital city has been split between two or three different congressional districts – a deliberate effort by state leaders to prevent power from accreting to Black voters. Recently the region has been represented by a white Freedom Caucus Republican. But last year a bruising court battle forced Alabama to redraw its district lines, finally placing the entire city and a wide swath of Alabama’s Black Belt of African American residents in the same congressional district.

The runoff for the newly drawn congressional district is Tuesday. Now Montgomery – and Alabama’s Black voters – have to be heard by anyone who wants to serve them in Congress.

“We want somebody who is philosophically aligned with the city,” said Steven Reed, the mayor of Montgomery. “On issues around voting rights, on issues around healthcare, Medicaid expansion and access to healthcare, we would like to have an advocate.”

“From our standpoint, there’s a tremendous need for the congressman to be able to leverage their position in the United States House of Representatives to bring resources back.”

Dexter Avenue in Montgomery is a living monument to civil rights leaders. Stand at the bottom of the hill next to a bronze statue of Rosa Parks and look up, past the first church Martin Luther King led – a church founded on the site of ...

SOURCE

Back