Cops behaving badly ...

Executive Director of the San Jose Police Officers’ Association, Joanne Marian Segovia, charged with running a fentanyl ring. Perfect example of why you should usually remain anonymous if tipping off police.

U6CLrzS.png

S2 #83

Seems like a non-sequitur to me. Not sure what the graphic has to do with the topic.
- The graphic is of SFPD roadblocks.
- The text addresses career-ending decertification.
No matter. It's a baby-step in the right direction, long overdue. Thanks for helping to brighten our pre-Easter outlook S2.

"I extended nothing but my deepest condolences to the Dotson family," he said. "There's nothing I can say that will make this better. It's a terrible event, and I'm heartbroken by it." Chief Steve Hebbe
And what changes will you implement Chief Hebbe, so that those under your command don't cause a repeat? "Heartbroken" doesn't resurrect the dead.

It was a glass door too. The cops questioned the guy and let him go home, while the kid fights for his life.

k6yaXIY.jpeg

This will continue until the bureaucrats with policy-making authority care enough about it to change it. In other words,
this will continue.

Killer Cop Is Back In Stride Again
Breonna Taylor's Killer Hired By Kentucky Police Department

iirc there are nations where police are required to have an associate's degree or equivalent. They have that because they don't have nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers? Get it? The headline is "Killer Cop Is Back In Stride Again - Breonna Taylor's Killer Hired By Kentucky Police Department".
That's a problem. But it's a mistake to consider it the problem.

Three possible explanations:
- Either "Kentucky Police Department" hired the killer unknowingly. Or
- they knew but didn't care.

Either of those would explain it. BUT !!
There is a third possible explanation:
- They knew, didn't like it, but due to a confluence of unfortunate antagonistic social standards, needed to fill a critical manpower vacancy, and chose the best available candidate.

I hope that 3rd explanation is a contributing factor, if not the major factor.

If that, it may not help advance public safety to go the righteous indignation route with these reports. Convicting an innocent man is bad for the innocent man if he's punished for a crime he didn't commit. But it's bad for society too for it leaves the criminal at large.
In that way, for similar reason, blaming the human resources department for bad judgement here obscures a more fundamental problem. Paradoxical though it might seem to some, it may be that imposing an associate's degree requirement of police in the U.S., and increasing their $pay commensurately, might help go a long way to solving this problem.
Many municipalities may claim they simply can't afford it. But can we afford not too? Let's ask Breonna Taylor.

Woman Sexually Assaulted by Deputy Sheriff During Traffic Stop Says Qualified Immunity Is Blocking Her Quest for Justice

Justice should primarily be about making victims whole, not merely incarcerating perpetrators. Qualified immunity hinders that.
Hannah Cox

ynette Christmas still has nightmares about the day that forever changed her life. It was Valentine’s Day of 2016. Christmas was pulled over in Harris County, Georgia for a routine traffic violation. The officer, Deputy Thomas Pierson, gave her a warning and sent her on her way. But minutes later, he pulled her over for a second time.

This time, he sexually assaulted her.

“I can feel the day and what the air was like. The smell of the air. When he was dragging me up by the car,” Christmas told local station WSBTV. “And as he was leaving, he told me he was going to kill me.”

Pierson is now serving an 8-year prison sentence. To some, this might sound like justice. Rape cases have a notoriously low clearance rate in the country, and police officers are rarely sent to prison for their crimes.

But Christmas would not call this justice.

According to Christmas, Pierson was accused by many other women of inappropriate conduct during traffic stops. Those women filed reports long before Christmas was assaulted, but nothing was done about them. Pierson was also involved in the death of a teen during a traffic stop. Clearly, there were many indicators that Pierson posed a threat to the general public for some time, yet his superiors, the police department, and the county did absolutely nothing to intervene.

In Christmas’ eyes, the failure of Pierson’s superiors to hold him accountable in the line of duty makes them culpable for the crimes against his victims as well. So, she sued the county, the Sheriff, and Pierson himself.

But in March, a judge ruled that the lawsuit could not move forward, because the defendants all enjoyed “qualified immunity.”

What is Qualified Immunity?

For those unfamiliar, qualified immunity is a court doctrine that the US Supreme Court essentially pulled out of thin air in the 1960s—in a move many would call judicial activism. It is not grounded in the Constitution and has no legal foundation. Yet it has been the law of the land for nearly 60 years.

Because of qualified immunity, Americans are unable to sue government actors—all government actors, not just police officers—and hold them accountable for their actions unless a court has ...

Not properly a cop but I don't want to start another thread

dQ3zRRZ.jpeg

I'm a USMC veteran. I would like to think I'd try to help other people who are being threatened by a mentally unstable person. However, this went way past that. The chokehold taught by the Marine Corps is a blood choke where pressure is applied to the carotid arteries on either side of the neck. This is accomplished with the forearm and the bicep. It will render the victim unconscious within 15 seconds, often quicker. At no point should the airway be blocked. The victim should be able to breathe the entire time. Penny held the wrong choke for almost three minutes AFTER Neely was already subdued with his appendages held down. Three minutes is a long time to evaluate what's going on. Even with an initial claim of self-defense, there is no defense for how this ended.

NBC-TV News covered it like this:

230504a.JPG

Looks like a "figure 4" strangle hold to me.

I thought even when subduing the subject with induced unconsciousness, this was not merely non-lethal, but could reasonably be expected to do no permanent injury. No?
Obviously if the subject loses consciousness in 15 seconds, continuing the hold for 3 minutes is a bad idea.

In my opinion this is less than half the story. What human life-threatening illegal misconduct was the suspect alleged to have perpetrated? And if there's video of the choke hold / strangle hold, is there video of the ostensible illegal behavior that prompted it?

And what is the appropriate sentence for this? It's homicide. "Justifiable"? Based on what?

So is it homicide, manslaughter, or criminal negligence causing death?

The choke appears to be a variant on "hadaka jime" (naked choke) - actually one of the techniques I was asked to demonstrate for my black belt exam

Back