Cops behaving badly ...

This evening's news included a still image of the comatose intubated patient, head resting on blood-stained pillow. At this point, the most obvious question is: - why - .

Wouldn't surprise me if that's a part of it. But I surely hope there's more to it than pure and simple recreational sadistic murder. I sense a missing puzzle piece here.

More on #16

Five Officers Charged With Murder in Memphis Police Killing​

As the city awaits video of the fatal encounter with Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man, a law enforcement official described the footage as “absolutely appalling.”

From the article:

... the officers — who were part of a specialized unit patrolling high-crime areas of the city — had used a level of force that was beyond excessive, officials said. A separate federal civil rights investigation is also underway.

Body cam footage is expected to be released Friday evening

"Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man" S #24

Nichols reportedly weighed 140 lbs.

Black Long Island moms struggle to explain to their children the police beating death of Tyre Nichols

By Craig Schneider

Renita Francois was watching the news coverage Saturday of the police beating of Tyre Nichols when her daughter came in and asked about it.

Cydney is 8 and it wasn't the first time she'd seen police brutality against a Black person on TV, so the Valley Stream mother was straight with her.

"The truth is this person who happens to be Black was stopped by police officers who happened to be Black, and instead of ....

S2 #26
It's a terribly costly insight. It's too high a price. But Nichols has paid the price.

I infer from the way various popular venues have handled this news:
What the Nichols slaying has taught us is that among slayings by police, race is not the entire issue. That's a long way from a ratio.
Something else is going on here. Seems like roid-rage or something akin to it. Amphetamine OD?

S2 #26

What the Nichols slaying has taught us is that among slayings by police, race is not the entire issue.
If you look around on the various blogs posters are asking what would have happened if the cops were white - general consensus seems to be that they wouldn't have been fired immediately. Their union would have stepped in and insisted on administrative leave (with pay) until the investigation was complete. [Or at least until the videos were released.]

Tyre Nichols case: Long Island activists say it shows policing must change

One day after the release of video footage showing Memphis police beating Tyre Nichols, who later died, local activists said it shows that more has to change in policing.

Several Black Long Island community leaders spoke to Newsday about the many challenges facing residents who have been seeking police reforms, from a perceived lack of follow-through on previously introduced plans, to protest fatigue and a law enforcement culture they see as resistant to change.

“Today is heavy and sad,” said Laura Harding, president of the Syosset-based civil rights organization Erase Racism. “No mother, no parent, no person should have to watch their child die in such a heinous manner at the hands of people who are meant to ...

Can't keep up with these stories

Two cops kidnapped and beat a homeless man, leaving him unconscious miles away, they were later fired and charged.

wS2yGXi.jpeg

WCYIBed.jpeg

MZtXn85.jpeg

lO3YA93.jpeg

https://apnews.com/article/florida-state-government-kidnapping-bf29c5943db81c26655990bc7f498320

Kidnapped, beaten, and dumped miles away for what should have been a ticket.

This isn't a new or rare thing, these cops just happen to have been caught. Cops dumping homeless people in neighboring cities, or just outside of their jurisdiction, is a well documented problem.

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases...e-dumping-homeless-people-outside-city-limits

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...homeless-people-in-los-angelesbr/73-344699039

https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/2...less-woman-out-of-city-to-get-rid-of-problem/

If you look around on the various blogs posters are asking what would have happened if the cops were white - general consensus seems to be that they wouldn't have been fired immediately. Their union would have stepped in and insisted on administrative leave (with pay) until the investigation was complete. [Or at least until the videos were released.]
Fine.
That's mere opinion.
There is some history to support that, George Floyd comes to mind. BUT !!

Though I am unable to corroborate, fragments I've been able to glean from the media churn is that the 5 criminal assailants were fired by Memphis Police Department Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis, a Black woman. [5 stars on her collar iirc].

#30 Florida
I expect a slap on the wrist.
And the prevailing institutional excuse: we simply don't have the resources to warehouse these criminals for decades.

- dandy -

Then why not instead garnish their wages until retirement, and transfer the garnished amount to the heirs of their victims? Surely that won't change the world when the gavel first initiates it. BUT !!

I suspect after a few decades, when these criminal policemen learn if they commit such atrocities as murder, it WILL affect them, the policemen party to the murder, it will affect them substantially, and for the rest of their lives.

Failure to do that is in my opinion barbaric, disgraceful, inexcusable.

Just an observation re George Floyd - the original press release from the authorities simply stated that he'd died from a medical mishap. The only reason that story didn't hold up is because someone had recorded the altercation on their phone and released it.

I'm not aware of a difference between that and the Rodney King beating. What would high def. have done for Emmett Till ?

That's exactly what happened with Rodney King (even though the courts thought otherwise). Neither is an example of "the system working" - both show that "the system" doesn't work and while we can agree that "something" should be done, I have no idea how to fix the problem.

Bodycams have reduced the number of complaints against police but I don't know how much of that is due to a reduction in "frivolous" complaints and how much is due to cops deciding to behave better.

That's exactly what happened with Rodney King (even though the courts thought otherwise).
My point precisely.
(even though the courts thought otherwise).
I can not be certain. But from the scraps I've been able to cull of it I believe the jury was deliberately dis-informed.
I believe the jury was mislead to believe that if they could not unanimously agree on which specific police truncheon blow * crossed the line, that the line was not crossed.

That's false, particularly if the jurors CAN agree that by the time the final blow was struck, the line had been crossed. BUT !! It seems it was enough to result in such a conspicuous injustice that a reported $Billion in destruction occurred in the riot that resulted.

I understand the temptation to tar "the courts" with this. I believe focusing our contempt belongs to the law judge that failed to correct the defense attorney that foisted this lie on the jurors.
Bodycams have reduced the number of complaints against police but I don't know how much of that is due to a reduction in "frivolous" complaints and how much is due to cops deciding to behave better.
Or how many bad COPs or would be bad COPs either resigned, or did not apply because of the proliferation of police body-cams.

* Reportedly at trial the blows to RK were not only counted, but numbered.

S2 #36
You seem to have about as much constructive insight on this case as anyone S2. Care to offer some insight on what the appropriate penalty for those convicted of it should be?

What's the appropriate penalty for 2nd degree murder?

There's also a civil right complaint in the works - we'll have to see if that actually makes it to court.

And I'm sure there will be a civil suit (or suits) by his family.

I encountered an interesting insight today about police liability including the Tyre Nichols slaying.
Currently when the jury awards money damages to the bereaved, that $money comes not from the police, but from the municipality.
The insight:
don't punish the tax payers for the misdeeds of the police, by plundering the municipal treasury. Instead, take the settlement money out of the police's budget.

Obviously that's not a flawless plan immune to serious complication. For obvious example, what will the neighborhood do for police coverage if the police department bankrupts itself?

None the less, I think it's worth looking into. Perhaps a hybrid, for damage awards exceeding $1 $Million, 10% of the million comes out of the police budget, 90% from insurance. BUT !! The insurance premiums come out of the police budget.

Along those lines, why not a non-violence bonus both for individual policemen, and for the police chief as well?

I'm not sure the money actually comes from the municipality. It's liable to come from their insurance company (have to say it's been some years since I was heavily involved in that section of the insurance market so I don't know how insurers are addressing that issue - I'm sure they're massively increasing their deductibles but have no idea beyond that - and I'm sure that for someplace like Memphis their deductible is already several million dollars - personally I'd probably retro rate the layer above that but no idea what companies are actually doing).

Back