Cops behaving badly ...

"It took him 20 minutes to call for help." #240
It may be a little too '60's for you. Remember "The Peter Principle"?

Employees rise to their own minimum level of incompetence.

When hired, excellent performance is rewarded with promotion.
Continue excellence, continue being promoted, UNTIL !!
Until the employee is promoted into a job they're not very good at.

Well ?!
They're not going to be promoted from there, they're not very good.

It's the Peter Principle.

Honestly S2,
This thread with over a dozen pages is named:

Cops behaving badly ...​

How many patrolmen do you suppose the Peter Principle applies to? Many? Most?

How could he have not known this man was unhinged??​

T3nYEol.jpeg

CsAkgKo.jpeg

(1969) - not sure exactly when I read it tho.
[sidetrack] - Anyone that tells you they remember the '60's is lying - [/sidetrack]

back to reality
People are dying!
At the hands of armed government agents!

This isn't intended as deliberately dystopian, but I can't help wondering if robot policemen could do any worse.

"Anyone that tells you they remember the 60's wasn't really there"
Anyone that tells you they remember the 60's wasn't really all there?
I'm not smart enough to understand:
was it really just a simpler era back then?
Or has the curse of more mature wisdom plucked the scales from my formerly naïve eyes?

I saw the animated feature Yellow Submarine at cinema.
It may be a useful calibration for me to see it again in the new millennium. Or Easy Rider?

New Orleans ordered to pay $1 million to teen sexually assaulted by officer

A federal jury found the city responsible for what a police officer did to a 15-year-old in 2020.
The city of New Orleans was ordered by a federal jury to pay $1 million on Wednesday to a teen who was sexually assaulted by one of its police officers. The verdict was delivered after three hours of deliberation in a civil rights trial where the jury found the New Orleans Police Department failed to properly vet and supervise Officer Rodney Vicknair.

Vicknair, who died in prison earlier this year, spent months grooming the teen after being dispatched to her home for a sexual assault investigation when she was 14.
The Washington Post does not identify victims of sexual assault without their consent. With her permission, The Post is referring to the teen by her middle name, Nicole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/08/21/new-orleans-police-sexual-abuse-verdict/

"A federal jury found the city responsible for what a police officer did " #248
I'm surely NOT advocating excusing such monstrous criminal behavior by public (government) officials. BUT !
The system is rigged to punish the victim.
The COPs run rough-shod over the city, and then penalize the city.

If the COP is the criminal, shouldn't it be the COP that's penalized? AND !!
If ONE policeman is out of line, wouldn't it make sense to penalize the entire department? Wouldn't that promote esprit decor,
and help tear down the blue wall ?

EXAMPLE:
If the annual hit on such cities from police misconduct is $1.2 $Million then why not collect that amount per year by whatever % that is of each PD employee.
And if after 3 years the money's still there, release it proportionally back to the PD.

While the city deserved everything it got (and more) the cop ended up in jail and died six months into a fourteen year sentence.

the city deserved everything it got (and more)
?
I must be missing something here.
If 100% of the population were substantially guilty I'd agree. Difficult for me to believe 1% is. What information am I missing that once obtained, will change my mind? *
the cop ended up in jail and died six months into a fourteen year sentence.
- hoorah - ?

* There's that one case, in that one city. And then there are all the others, in numerous other U.S. cities coast to coast. My constructive view compels me to mind them all.

If this was an isolated case ... but from what I've read this is hardly the only time that NOLA has messed up. And if you look up the page a bit you'll see a case of the police in a different city apologizing

If this was an isolated case ... but from what I've read this is hardly the only time that NOLA has messed up. And if you look up the page a bit you'll see a case of the police in a different city apologizing
Indeed.
With epic effort I might have been able to perceive this issue as based on one bad COP. I wouldn't consider expending a single calorie on that.

I consider this a systemic, national problem. I'm not entirely unsympathetic. I don't believe our chiefs of police coast to coast are secret members of al Qaida,
and they just wanna make people unhappy.

I think they have a job to do, and budgetary constraints:
should the city hire 4 more COPs, that's one additional man per shift,
or upgrade the street lights, both lowering the city's electric bill, and possibly reducing violent & street crime?

> > > > > >

Certainly I could simply join the "Oh! Ain't it AWFUL !!" choir, in rousing refrain.
Not my style.

a) I think this is a problem.
b) I have persuasive reason to believe it is not an insoluble problem. Zurich, Switzerland comes to mind.

"... three plainclothes officer jumped out of a van and grabbed her" #254
Citizens take on police work for a variety of reasons.
Those reasons, those applicants include some that enjoy personal violence, seek police status to maintain the lifestyle, but avoid the legal complications of criminality.

Any police commander or supervisor that doesn't know that must be informed: McDonald's is hiring.

My opinion:
Such problems as this persist because they're being tolerated. The message sent to the COP on the beat is clear:
- unless you rape and murder a nun, we'll cover for you -
message received, and the problem continues.

We won't conclusively resolve here the debate about whether strict punishment is a deterrent.
Until we have a better option, we have no legitimate excuse pretending we're victims.
"In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty is in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed, and in the next place, oblige it to control itself." James Madison
We're half-way there Jimmy.

Jury Awards $50M to Man Wrongfully Convicted of 2008 Murder, Setting New Chicago Record

Heather Cherone

A federal jury ordered the city of Chicago to pay $50 million to a man who was wrongfully convicted of a 2008 murder and spent 10 years in prison, setting a new city record for a wrongful conviction case.

Marcel Brown was 18 when he was arrested in connection with the Aug. 30, 2008, murder of 19-year-old Paris Jackson in Amundsen Park. Brown was convicted in 2011 of first-degree murder after driving his cousin, 15-year-old Renard Branch Jr., to the West Side park.

Convicted in 2011, Brown, now 34, was released in 2018 and granted a certificate of innocence in 2019.

“Justice was finally served for me and my family today,” Brown told reporters after the jury verdict was announced. “We’re just thankful, being able to be here today. Thank you, jurors.”

Brown is represented by Loevy and Loevy, a law firm that specializes in police misconduct litigation and advertises itself by telling potential clients that “no law firm in Chicago has been more successful in litigating police brutality and police misconduct cases.”

A spokesperson for the city’s Department of Law said officials are “reviewing the verdict and assessing its legal options.”

Before the case went to trial, city lawyers attempted, and failed, to settle the lawsuit.

If the verdict is upheld, it would be equivalent to more than 60% of the city’s annual $82 million budget to cover ...

"Police in the US use force on at least 300,000 people each year ..." #256
We get only a fragmentary and biased glimpse at this.

Recent example:
CNN
The Miami-Dade Police Department placed an officer on administrative leave Sunday after Miami Dolphins star Tyreek Hill was detained prior to the start of the season-opening game.

tyreek.jpg

Video shows Miami Dolphins player on the ground, detained by police

"DWB"? Driving while Black?
$Expensive car ?! Must be a criminal !

"A federal jury ordered the city of Chicago to pay $50 million to a man who was wrongfully convicted ..." #257

If this isn't reassuring, it may at least seem encouraging.

In computing it's called a "dysfunctional feedback loop".
- The traffic COP causes the problem.
- The tax payer suffers the penalty, $50 $M in this one Chicago case.

If we're going to fix this, we have to begin to penalize the violators, instead of their employers.

If you were ever unsure if law enforcement are nothing but class traitors; supporting racists, bigots and criminals, then be unsure no more...​

G5Uitrq.png

For those who want a source, sure:
It sounds creepy and weird right, the "fraternal order"... wtf do they think they are, the Templar Knights?

Anyway, naming aside, the meat of this whole stew is that police are endorsing a convicted criminal.

I have never been fooled by the duplicitous nature of law enforcement, they are not their for _your_ safety, but to defend the indefensible and to act in concert with dishonest actors to advance an agenda that is as undemocratic as it is hateful.

========================================================

The FOP is the police union. Trump has said LEOs should be LESS accountable than is currently the case. Of course they support him.

ljNeept.png

======================================================================

Reality is, nothing much has changed since 1963 - remember scenes like this

Hwh84qw.jpeg

=====================================================

Returning to today

GDL30qE.jpeg

If you were ever unsure if law enforcement are nothing but class traitors; supporting racists, bigots and criminals, then be unsure no more... #259

Tragic.
Inexplicable, other than the implausibly obvious. I'd like to know the demography of the endorsing agency, FOP. Mostly White men with guns I suspect.

Returning to today

"I like presidents who never had to come up with bail money" #259
- ha -
Perhaps this is an allusion to Trump commenting on Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
"He's not a war hero.
He is a war hero.
He's a war hero because he was captured.
I like people that weren't captured. OK?" Donald ["bone spur"] Trump: July 2015 seeking the Republican nomination for the 2016 presidential race

Back