Cops behaving badly ...

iAtEXtS.png

"it's pretty crazy how there's an entire profession we have to make wear body cameras because they lie so much." ally #221
ally my dear,
not clear to me whether your avatar is firing up a doobie, or igniting a Mazel tov cocktail.
Either way you may be victim of status quo perception.

I suspect without the video, the Rodney King beating would have merely been another unremarkable routine in California police work.
Not only did that vid lead to prosecutions, but an L.A. riot that expressed dissatisfaction with the verdict.

By & large, it's a systemic error to appoint foxes to hen-house security.
To police we give exceptional authority.
We are at great peril if in return we do not require exceptional accountability.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely,"
writes John Emerich Edward Dalbert-Acton, 53, April 5 to Cambridge University professor Mandell Creighton. Lord Acton is a liberal Roman Catholic and a leader of the opposition to the papal dogma of infallibility
Source: The People's Chronology is licensed from Henry Holt and Company, Inc. Copyright © 1995, 1996 by James Trager. All rights reserved. (aka Bookshelf '98)
It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. David Brin

I suspect without the video, the Rodney King beating would have merely been another unremarkable routine in California police work.
Same goes for George Floyd's murder. If a bystander hadn't posted the video it would have been swept under the rug.

1715509695337.png

"Same goes for George Floyd's murder. If a bystander hadn't posted the video it would have been swept under the rug." #223
Sadly, tragically, we're awash with examples.

And it appears to me there's more to this coast-to-coast tragedy than merely a "bad apple" occasionally surfacing in one police precinct / jurisdiction or another.
Due to the intrinsic culture of a police department, it can be a race to the bottom. It's called "the blue wall" of silence.

Any policeman that witnesses his fellow policeman using excessive force and reports it, is quickly distrusted and shunned by his fellow policemen.
This isn't merely socially troublesome, but potentially life-threatening, as when police back-up is needed at a violent incident, needed but not forthcoming.

"One bad apple spoils the barrel."

BUT !!
The digital revolution is paying dividends. Reasonably priced police body-cams are available that capture date-stamped / time-stamped 1080HD motion picture images.
What is alarming is that police departments coast to coast do not make their use a condition of employment.
Thus, the ones holding the broom sweeping it under the rug aren't merely front-line gum-shoes. Chiefs of police are connected here. It's systemic failure. And "the People" are paying the price, at BOTH ends of the equation. Happy Mother's Day

"Yep - if one "bad" cop does something and 100 others don't report it we're now faced with 101 bad cops." #225
I don't entirely blame all policemen for this. I'm painfully aware some seek police department employment so they can bang heads with impunity.
But I also believe some join out of sense of civic duty, with genuinely noble intention.
Yet the system as currently configured empowers a crooked ostensible minority to corrupt their fellow policemen.

I'm not fatalistic enough to declare this an insoluble problem. But I'm honest enough to observe it hasn't been solved yet, on global systemic basis. Not quite clear to me why police body-cams haven't helped dial it back.

"Family of Navy veteran who died after officer knelt on his neck settles lawsuit for $7.5 million" #227

I've lost count of these lawsuits.
Can we legitimately exclude systemic failure as cause for many if not most of them?

Seems to me once a subject / suspect is in police custody their welfare is fully government's responsibility.
And if the $7.5 million is paid, by whom? The murderer in uniform?

Nope. The tax payer.
Punish the victim.
And the government crime spree continues.

We can avert our gaze, ignore this tragedy. But willful fatalism doesn't mask the truth. Isn't the survival rate for police apprehendees in Denmark higher?

It's a defective feedback loop.
The criminal murders an innocent.
And innocents $pay the $penalty.

And the criminal? Two weeks off, with pay? Enough time to soak up some sun in Barbados? St. Maarten? This is the way the system is designed to malfunction.

"$900,000 is nowhere near enough"
"And even after his father turned up alive they didn't tell him for days." #231
Top tier attorneys will tell you, don't talk to the police.

I take no shame in being a law-&-order conservative.
Sadly, because atrocities like this are not as rare as we might wish to believe, good-faith cooperation with police by law abiding citizens may result in penalty for cooperating.

"I plead the 5th" may help keep innocent citizens out of prison. When something better comes along, we'll upgrade.

PS
Looks like the COP seen leering at his captive is about to have his nipple fantasy realized.

My understanding is that the guy had some issues and the police withheld his meds from him while he was in custody. Put his dog in a kennel and told him they were going to put it down.

"... the police withheld his meds" S2 #233
My tax dollars at work.

"In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty is in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed, and in the next place, oblige it to control itself." James Madison

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Acton

"... the police ... told him they were going to put it [his dog] down." #233
Stare decisis has given broad leeway to police interrogators regarding police ostensible disclosures of evidence during interrogations. Police can for example legally lie to a suspect about incriminating evidence found at the crime scene.

Taking a suspect's dog into police custody is a grey area. If the dog would otherwise starve to death, temporary government custody is a compassionate solution.
But holding the dog hostage and threatening to kill it (as Hamas is doing in Gaza right now) would seem to me to cross the line, regardless of the excuse the police provide, falsely disclosing the dog found to be rabid for example.

If a policeman told me it's a nice sunny day I'd want corroboration from a professional meaty urologist before I took the COP's word for it.
nope, not spell-check, that was my idea

In a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers Donald Sutherland plays a restaurant kitchen government health inspector.
Early in the movie Sutherland's character holds with tweezers an object Sutherland identifies as a rat turd.
The chef claims it's a caper.
Sutherland says: - OK. Eat it. -
and hands it toward the chef.
" ... bird poop." #235
Why not offer to the police the opportunity to snort the evidence for purpose of evidence verification? bon appetite oinksters

"San Diego cop claimed he accidentally locked himself in" #238
Extremely plausible.
Passenger car based police vehicles as that depicted in #238 graphic are often modified for carrying restrained suspects.
Those modifications frequently include a taxi style barrier between front seat-back and ceiling (depicted at link),
to prevent drunken suspects while handcuffed in the back seat from kicking policemen in the front seat in the head.
It's also quite common for the back seat interior door-handles to be removed, so subjects can't open the door and escape.
The back doors of such vehicle may otherwise operate normally, but only from the outside, by obvious conventional means.

This "San Diego cop" may be evil incarnate, or the second most saintly human ever born.
The above quotation provides no insight to where this "San Diego cop" resides on that spectrum.

It may have been as innocent as COP trying to apply automobile lap / shoulder restraint for transport.
In an emergency a COP thus trapped in his own vehicle could use his sidearm to hammer or shoot out
the rear door glass, reach through the open window, and open the back car door from the outside door handle.
But that would required some 'splainin' to his chain of command, an explanation he's likely to have been eager to not to have to provide.

It took him 20 minutes to call for help. He's got to have known that he couldn't get out without help and, embarrassing as it might have been, if he'd called immediately I'm sure all that would have happened would be a chewing out by his immediate superior and some kidding from his fellow officers.

In his favor, it doesn't sound like he turned his body cam off so it does sound like this may have been a genuine accident.

Back