What to call this thread?

Seems like a story with a happy ending.
- or -
We have no option other then to be bitterly optimistic. Schroeder
Perhaps there's a broader significance here. We can appreciate the marvels of modern science that enable such transitions, unavailable to those in centuries past.

Another perspective on that same reality, how grateful the rest of us can be, that we have one less obstacle in life to circumvent.
Safe journey Auguste.

358543628_743635034439204_7242239800593175784_n.jpg

Anyone wanting to live in a natural environment free of plastics is gunna need a rocket ship.

The following addresses female genital mutilation (FGM)

Homepage US July 15, 2024 · 5:01 AM GMT-5

Gambia's bill to unban FGM: tradition vs women's rights
Gambia could become the first country in the world to repeal a ban on FGM if a bill currently making its way through parliament becomes law. It is an issue that has sparked a fierce debate in the West African country of tradition, religion and women's

Not sure mutilating the genitals of either gender makes much sense.

I haven't read Trump's kids résumés. But it appears elder sons cling to pappy's coat tails because they're talentless, have no better option.
Extrapolate. When they're as old as pappy is now, and the former pres. has long since assumed room temperature, they'll be derive their revenue holding out a tin cup
on a Madison Ave corner.

Please don't misinterpret this post as: I'm right / you're wrong.
Life's more complicated than that. BUT
the following does raise some questions:

Transgender cyclists take top 3 spots in Washington women's relay championship​

Three teams that included a transgender athlete won at the Marymoor Grand Prix on Friday​

By Lindsay Kornick Fox News / Published July 24, 2024 9:00pm EDT
Transgender athletes won first, second and third place at a recent women’s cycling competition held in Washington.

hmmmm

qFd3ujc.png

Approximately 25-40% of homeless youth are LGBTQ, while only approximately 5-10% of the general population identifies as LGBTQ (Josephson & Wright, 2000).

Approximately 25-40% of homeless youth are LGBTQ, while only approximately 5-10% of the general population identifies as LGBTQ (Josephson & Wright, 2000).
Correlation is not causation.
But considering the population these stats represent, there would seem surely to be a connection.

I imagine psychology is some component of it. How can we make sense of this?

It's safe to say that some were thrown out while others left because the situation "at home" was intolerable.
Ugh !!
That's worse than I thought !!

I'd imagined an entire nuclear family being homeless, not just the individual. Too many Disney movies with happy endings to blame?

01.JPG

I've invited a few friends / associates I thought might find the culture here welcoming.
Guess not.
Nope, not quite sure why not. Topic drift?

I'd imagined an entire nuclear family being homeless, not just the individual. Too many Disney movies with happy endings to blame?
It's not about homeless families - it's about kids living on the streets because their families can't or won't accept who they are.

sd9m1Mr.png

There is one trans boxer at the Olympics, but it’s not a trans woman (there are none good enough to have qualified), it’s a trans man called Hergie Bacyadan.

That doesn’t fit the bigots narrative so they’ll ignore it and lie instead.

There is one trans boxer at the Olympics, but it’s not a trans woman (there are none good enough to have qualified), it’s a trans man called Hergie Bacyadan.
That doesn’t fit the bigots narrative so they’ll ignore it and lie instead.
Lance Armstrong was bounced for -doping-.
"Hormone therapy" is common for gender transition.
I don't know the details but am curious if hormone therapy that may be perfectly appropriate outside athletic competition may trigger issues for Olympic competitors.

Someone on testosterone for legitimate medical reasons can compete but their T-levels are closely monitored.

But otherwise, unlike female athletes no-one cares what a male athlete's levels are. All that they're concerned about is whether or not they came out of a bottle.

All that they're concerned about is whether or not they came out of a bottle.
- but -
I know of no chemical test for that. Unless recently changed, detecting the level is biochemical quantification. The source of high testosterone is gumshoe detective work. Right?

Not quite that simple. I'm hardly an expert in the science behind the tests but, as I understand it, prolonged steroid use usually results in the body deciding not to produce other trace hormones so their absence together with elevated T-levels is a pretty good indicator.

It's safe to say that more money has been spent developing ways to mask steroid use than has been spent looking for cures for any number of diseases.

Remember the Balco Labs situation - the only reason they discovered that particular drug was because someone got careless and left a used needle laying around - another athlete found it and turned it if for testing (think he figured that the presence of a needle meant somebody was juicing).

And you mentioned Lance Armstrong - he never failed a drug test - he was ratted out by a teammate (since they keep samples for a long time afterwards I don't remember if his samples have ever tested positive for a PED).

Going back farther (way back) don't know if you remember the great Russian weightlifter Vasily Alekseyev (google him). But I remember reading about a young American lifter who was in his first international competition (may have been the 76 Olympics - don't remember). In any case the American made some comment about steroids and said that he'd heard you could pass a drug test if you stopped taking steroids two weeks before the test date. Apparently Alekseyev looked at him like he was nuts and said "Two days".

In short, the athletes (and their trainers and their doctors) will always be ahead of the officials.

Not quite that simple. I'm hardly an expert in the science behind the tests but, as I understand it, prolonged steroid use usually results in the body deciding not to produce other trace hormones so their absence together with elevated T-levels is a pretty good indicator.
Oh.
It's safe to say that more money has been spent developing ways to mask steroid use than has been spent looking for cures for any number of diseases.
Inspired by the prepubescent Soviet Olympic female gymnasts with 5 o'clock shadow, & baritone voices?
Remember the Balco Labs situation - the only reason they discovered that particular drug was because someone got careless and left a used needle laying around - another athlete found it and turned it if for testing (think he figured that the presence of a needle meant somebody was juicing).
I did not know that.
And you mentioned Lance Armstrong - he never failed a drug test - he was ratted out by a teammate (since they keep samples for a long time afterwards I don't remember if his samples have ever tested positive for a PED).
- bummer -

It was a Hollywood-scale fairy-tale. Armstrong received legal notice he'd been dumped, while in his hospital bed?
The notion of Armstrong being able to battle back based entirely on resolve was inspiring,
but inspiring fiction.

BUT !
Disillusioning? Or an abrasive but ominous lesson in egalitarian adversity?
I wonder what OB Lance is up to these days.

Back