Uvalde - the followup

Khloie #19
- gosh -

S2 #20
a) grim
b) sadly, I suppose it has to be. That is a message that's rendered alarming ... "Subtlety is an over-sold virtue." psychologist Joy Browne
c) Astoundingly, even bashing them over the head like this still doesn't phase them.

SO !

S2,
Help me out. Didn't the (Clinton administration) Assault Weapons Ban result in a substantial reduction in assault weapons homicides, plus an overall reduction in homicides?
And a ~decade later when AWB was repealed, those crime parameters re-stabilized approximately where they were before AWB? Is so, AWB is not terra incognita.

#20 confirms my bias against the "pro-life" semantic they cling to. They're not "pro-life", they're anti-choice on reproduction, and pro-choice on assault weapons.

Gt0kDsP.jpeg

pro-choice on assault weapons.
Pro-gun.

Shiftless, public officials know their actions will be ridiculed for political advantage. O'Rourke played to his base, Abbott to his. That doesn't contradict what Cohen tweeted. It casts light on the these two public figures, and their perceptions of their own supporters.

BTC #22

R #23 beat me to it. It would be difficult to argue Abbott didn't have re-election in mind, attending his own re-election fundraiser.
At lease O'Rourke shows a little -do as I do- leadership style.

What complicates this for me, it seems to be getting worse as I get older. I'm not sure if I'm just jaded, or if objectively things are actually getting this much worse.
No other U.S. presidential candidate in history, & former president that comes to mind had such convictions, and legal issues pending. Who more than Trump? Yet he's the front-runner.

Gun Violence Costs the U.S. $557 Billion a Year

Gun violence that causes tens of thousands of U.S. deaths each year—far more than any other developed nation—is having a significant, negative impact on the country’s economy, Harvard Medical School researchers said.

Harvard Medical School researchers found that gun violence costs the U.S. some $557 billion annually, or 2.6% of gross domestic product, according to the peer-reviewed study published in the journal JAMA. The majority of that cost is attributed to ...

t #25
You may have nailed it. But politics didn't just start a few years ago. It hasn't always been this bad.

S2 #26
The link says:
"... peer-reviewed study published in the journal JAMA."
It leaves me wondering what the other side of the coin is.

Re #27

It leaves me wondering what the other side of the coin is

What do you mean "the other side of the coin"? JAMA is the "Journal of the American Medical Association" and is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association.

But if you'd prefer some different numbers:

Eb1xtYV.jpeg

Re #28
What do you mean "the other side of the coin"? JAMA is the "Journal of the American Medical Association" and is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association.
Yeah, I'm jiggy w/ JAMA, the fly-swatter of choice in doctor's office waiting rooms coast to coast.

I was referring to the path not traveled. The status quo is "condition X".
So if it weren't "condition X" it would be something else. To oversimplify appallingly if instead of "condition X" where drunken red-necks squander vast $sums on ammunition, they instead invested comparable sums on beverage ethanol (or hallucinogens, or ...), the rate of attrition of the innocent might change.
They could probably add nitrous oxide injection to their rusted pickup trucks for the amount of gun money involved. BUT: how many innocents would they then mow down with their rusty rigs?

Please pardon my jade, but bitter experience has taught me ... out of the frying pan, into the fire. That doesn't mean guns are good. It merely means there may well be alternatives that are as bad or worse.

KS #31

Blonde?
Drunk?
British?

Amusing that she believes the "person" could remain a "toddler" for two years straight.
You're my kind of gal KS. And you're in luck. I like my eggs sunny-side up too.

We all got up this morning to be faced with headlines about 22 dead in a mass shooting. But the shooter wasn't a Muslim.

The Maine mass-murderer has stereotypical alt-right Republican views, here are some of his tragically ironic Twitter comments/likes​

q464t8u.png

l2GWl7q.png

"Ban assault weapons? Well, cars kill more people than guns do. But we blame the drivers. We don't ban large or fast cars. We understand that cars, like guns, don't act by themselves. The blame lies with the people who operate these mechanical devices. Common sense 101." Dinesh D'Souza 3/28/23
I find this deliberately dismissive. Rather than offering any constructive approach, D'Souza simply criticizes / ridicules the good faith efforts of those attempting to respond constructively to the U.S. gun massacre crisis.

D'Souza criticism doesn't resurrect the slain.

As a military veteran, an NRA life member, and having acquired military proficiency with a variety of small arms, I'm none to hasty about infringing the 2nd Amendment. It's certainly no panacea.

Neither is the unending procession of pointless slaughters of the innocent.

From the Quotable Quotes thread

"The problem is the human heart. It's not guns... This is not the time to talk about legislation." ~ House Speaker Mike Johnson

Survivors of mass shooting at Louisville bank plan lawsuit against the gun maker

Bill Estep

Victims of a mass shooting in downtown Louisville earlier this year plan to file a lawsuit against the maker of the assault-style rifle used in the attack, an attorney representing several people confirmed Monday.

Tad Thomas, an attorney with offices in Louisville, Chicago and elsewhere, said he represents five people who survived the shooting at the Old National Bank. He also represents the estate of one man who died, Jim Tutt Jr., a senior vice president at the bank.

The Washington Post reported the lawsuit was in the works Monday and Thomas confirmed that to the Herald-Leader.

The attack happened at the downtown bank early on April 10. Connor Sturgeon, a bank employee, killed five people and wounded eight others, including a police officer, before an officer shot and killed Sturgeon.

Officials previously confirmed that Sturgeon had used an AR-15 model gun which he bought legally in Louisville a few days before the shooting. The Washington Post reported Monday that ....

"Survivors of mass shooting at Louisville bank plan lawsuit against the gun maker

Bill Estep" #39

Those dismissive of the gun violence carnage seem to subordinate human welfare to some other ostensibly higher priority.
That's bad.

BUT !

Holding the "gun maker" legally responsible may be a stare decisis landmark that long term does more harm than good.
What would the legal implications be for commercial electric power providers, supermarket retailers, and automobile manufacturers?

The gun carnage, mass shooting crisis in the U.S. certainly deserves constructive remedy. "Look before you leap."

Back