Quotable Quotes

"And in six states, you're allowed to kill the baby after it's born. And you know, one of those states is Minnesota, where Tampon Tim is from." ~ Trump #960
Fine.
The voters that intended to not vote for Trump will still not vote for Trump.
But out of a population of millions, isn't it likely there are some that will find the term "Tampon Tim" unpresidential? And swing to Harris / Walz?
And even if not a major percentage of the electorate, in a close election, might this negative prove decisive?

Donold,
expanding your toilet inventory? No longer only classified documents?

- bonus headline -
Opinion· The New Republic

J.D. Vance Booed by Entire Crowd During Dumpster Fire Speech

Vance was brutally burned during a campaign stop, ironically at a firefighters’ union conference.

note:
"Entire crowd"?
If I saw this sound-bite, this characterization seems embellished to me, though in-room witnesses might have gotten a clearer impression.

S2 #962
I got the impression about half the audience responded vocally. But remaining silent is not an endorsement. Perhaps that's a consideration in the "entire crowd" characterization.
I'm sure it wasn't the entire crowd - after all, at least a few people had to be too busy laughing at him to boo.
a) ha !
b) I'm not a JD fan. I don't care for his politics, and can't seem to find much about him personally to admire, though I acknowledge his celebrity.

What has earned my alarm:
Vance is a dangerous combination of ethicless hypocrisy, with world-class rhetorical skill, the kind of rhetorical skill that earned Governor Clinton the nickname "slick willy", before the governor made GHWB a one-term president.

& in the: sear just can't let it go, department -
The following already well covered in this thread. But the story's more fun when FOX tells it.

Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance was booed Thursday by some members of a firefighters union in Boston while delivering a speech in which he asked members "after supporting Democrats for so long in this union, what has it gotten you?"
The boos were heard immediately after Vance took the stage at the International Association of Fire Fighters Convention, leading him to say "sounds like we got some fans and some haters."
"That's okay. Listen to what I have to say here, and I'll make my pitch," Vance continued – but he was met with jeering again later in the speech when he declared former President Trump and himself the "most pro-worker Republican ticket in history."

One of the chuckle-worthy rumors worth noting:
Trump may be the darling of xenophobes. But D.J. doesn't seem to work well with others. How often has Melania been seen with Trump lately?

Rumors are there are festering tensions between Trump and Vance.

In contrast Harris / Walz seem to make an effective working team. Looks like Trump / Vance in crash & burn mode.

"He is weird. He's weird, I'm not weird, he's weird. No, he's a weird guy, he's a weird dude. See, they come up with sound bites, they always have sound bites, and one of the things is that J.D. and I are 'weird.' That guy is so straight, J.D. is so -- he's doing a great job, smart, top student, great guy, and he's not weird and I'm not weird. I mean we're a lot of things but we're not weird, I will tell you, but that guy is weird." ~ Trump on Gov. Tim Walz

"He is weird. ... that guy is weird." ~ Trump on Gov. Tim Walz #965

Psychologist Joy Browne observes, when under stress it's common to revert to a more familiar behavior pattern.
When Trump was running against Biden Trump's presidential future might have looked a little more rosy.

Trump knows he's in trouble, and so seems to have lapsed into his more comfortable mode of being, as demonstrated in #965, ad hom.

Here's a hint for you D.J.:
The history books will not show you to have lost to a Black woman, if you quit. If you carry it through, it's a failure you'll never live down.

"You deserve a president who respects you, who talks to you, and who levels with you -- puts it right on the level -- and who always has your best interests, has your back. I have your back, I have your heart, and I have every other part of your body." ~ Trump

"We got the most votes of any sitting president in history. And he beat us by a whisker." ~ Trump, on 2020

"You deserve a president who respects you, who talks to you, and who levels with you -- puts it right on the level -- and who always has your best interests, has your back.
So vote Harris / Walz 2024 !
I have your back, I have your heart, and I have every other part of your body." ~ Trump
Yes DJ, you may already have conspired to usurp women's right of choice. BUT !! You have not yet usurped women's right to vote
against you.
"We got the most votes of any sitting president in history. And he beat us by a whisker." ~ Trump, on 2020
Tell us more Donald. Tell us much, more more between now & election day.

"You know, I do 'the weave.' You know what the weave is? I'll talk about like nine different things, and they all come back brilliantly together. And friends of mine that are, like, English professors, they say, 'It's the most brilliant thing I've ever seen.' But the Fake News, you know what they say? 'He rambled.'" ~ Trump

"You know, I do 'the weave.' You know what the weave is? I'll talk about like nine different things, and they all come back brilliantly together. And friends of mine that are, like, English professors, they say, 'It's the most brilliant thing I've ever seen.' But the Fake News, you know what they say? 'He rambled.'" ~ Trump #969
A hero in his own mind, so incandescently brilliant Trump himself is one of only very few to comprehend his intellectual majesty.
"Proof of Trotsky's farsightedness is that none of his predictions have come true yet." Isaac Deutscher

From The Late Show with Stephen Colbert 24/09/03:

"We're exactly 9 weeks from election day. And things are looking up for Kamala Harris.
In the latest USA Today - Suffolk University - nerds gummy clusters poll, nationally Harris leads Trump 48% to 43%.
Wow! That's good. 48%. That really restores my faith in almost half of humanity.

"Whoever heard? You get indicted for interfering with a presidential election, where you have every right to do it. You get indicted and your poll numbers go up." ~ Trump

"Beautiful. That's beautiful. That's all right. That's okay. He's on our side. (Chuckle.)" ~ Trump at rally, as man attacking press section is wrestled to ground by security

"Beautiful. That's beautiful. That's all right. That's okay. He's on our side. (Chuckle.)" ~ Trump at rally, as man attacking press section is wrestled to ground by security #972
Good news, & bad news.
- The bad news: capable, s a v v y Republicans that know how to win political elections have been explicit: to win the election Trump must address issues, not personal insult.
- The fabulous news: Trump is ignoring them.

Happiness is not having what you want; it's wanting what you have. Spencer Johnson

"Whoever heard? You get indicted for interfering with a presidential election, where you have every right to do it. You get indicted and your poll numbers go up." ~ Trump
npL4cXR.png

"I am urging you, from this day forward, never, ever, ever, to refer to Kamala Harris by her first name. Kamala, Kamala, Kamala -- she is not a soccer star, okay?...It personalizes her, and it creates a favorable impression. We haven't been able to...turn 'Kamala' into a four-letter word like 'Hillary' was. So stop doing that, okay?" ~ former Trump adviser Peter Navarro

"I didn't quite make it, just a little bit short." ~ Trump, on 2020 election, 8/22/24

"He beat us by a whisker." ~ Trump, to Moms for Liberty, 8/30/24

"I lost by a whisker." ~ Trump, to podcaster Lex Fridman, 9/3/24

"I am urging you, from this day forward, never, ever, ever, to refer to Kamala Harris by her first name. Kamala, Kamala, Kamala -- she is not a soccer star, okay?...It personalizes her, and it creates a favorable impression. We haven't been able to...turn 'Kamala' into a four-letter word like 'Hillary' was. So stop doing that, okay?" ~ former Trump adviser Peter Navarro #976
A drowning man will clutch at a straw. - Sir Thomas More
Perhaps relevant:
In 2016 the Republican candidate was referred to by last name: "Trump".
The Democrat was referred to by first name: "Hillary".

Sexism?
That would explain it.

I suspect it's more practical. We already had one "President Clinton".
And the polls predicted we were about to have another.
It was simpler to refer to her as Hillary, distinguishing her from Bill.

Even if that wasn't a significant factor in VP Harris' media coverage as "Kamala"
there may be more Harris' than Kamala's.

"I lost by a whisker." ~ Trump, to podcaster Lex Fridman, 9/3/24 #977
It's unlikely that officialdom would suddenly reverse itself, declare Trump the winner in the 2020 election, remove Biden from office, & restore the presidency to Trump.
Whether doing so would render Trump ineligible for reinauguration in 2025 an open question.

Is Trump merely a world-class swindler?
Or does Trump sincerely believe the fiction he spews?

"I lost by a whisker." ~ Trump, to podcaster Lex Fridman, 9/3/24 #977

The reason even this - confession - which contradicts Trump's own - I won by a lot - rhetoric doesn't conclusively resolve the swindler / delusional question

By Megan Messerly and Adam Wren / 09/05/2024 05:07 PM EDT
When Donald Trump in 2016 promised to appoint conservative Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade, white evangelicals made an uneasy bargain — and hoped he meant what he said.
Now, eight years later, they’re hoping he doesn’t.

Trump, who decades ago described himself as “pro-choice” and then, as president, appointed the judges who cemented Roe’s demise, has long been all over the map on abortion.

Trump’s announcement last week that he planned to vote “no” on a ballot measure to enshrine abortion rights in the Florida Constitution represented a quick course correction after he sent evangelicals and anti-abortion groups into a panic by implying he might vote to undo the state’s current six-week abortion ban. And that wasn’t his only affront to anti-abortion advocates. In recent days, he has pledged to make health insurance companies or the government cover in vitro fertilization, which many anti-abortion advocates object to as currently practiced in the U.S., free of charge. And he promised to be “great for women and their reproductive rights.”

“In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve” French diplomat and historian Alexis de Tocqueville

Re # 974

"Kamala will make abortion up to the day of birth the law of the land as a major part of her presidency. Absolutely tragic." ~ Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene

"Can you imagine you're a parent and your son leaves the house and you say, 'Jimmy, I love you so much. Go have a good day at school.' And your son comes back with a brutal operation?" ~ Trump

Re #974 & #979

"... and you say, Go have a good day at school.' And your son comes back with a brutal operation?" ~ Trump
By his own choice? Like whether to wear suspenders or a belt?
Or a "brutal operation" like that at Columbine, or Sandy Hook, or Uvalde? Which do you think the more immediate priority Mr. candidate?

Back