Photos, vids, etc ....

5e96f0d04eb4013d6d4e005056a9545d

Trudeau #1,382

"misunderestimate" & "... disassemble, that means not tell the truth" GWB

Or for those that prefer more long-tenured Republican nostalgia: nucular ...

We're Americans. We brandish our ignorance with pride !

Terrance Gordon Sawchuk (December 28, 1929 – May 31, 1970) was a Canadian professional ice hockey goaltender who played 21 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Los Angeles Kings, and New York Rangers between 1950 and 1970. He won the Calder Trophy, earned the Vezina Trophy four times, was a four-time Stanley Cup champion, and was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame the year after his final season, one of 10 players for whom the three-year waiting period was waived.

(Below) Life Magazine shows the face of hockey goalie Terry Sawchuk before masks became standard game equipment, 1966.

462464673_504744979053770_1132315357030402044_n.jpg

"I walked into restaurants and they would point at me and say ‘The (N-word) can’t eat here.’ I would go to a hotel and they would say ‘The (N-word) can’t stay here.’ We want to Charlie Finley’s country club for a welcome home dinner, and they pointed me out with the N-word, ‘he can’t come in here.’ Finley marched the whole team out. Finally, they let me in. He had said ‘We’re gonna go to a diner and eat hamburgers; we’ll go where we’re wanted.''“I slept on their couch (Rudi and his wife) four nights a week for about a month and a half,” Jackson said. “Finally, they were threatened that they’d burn the apartment complex down unless I got out. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.”Jackson’s response to the one question lasted more than three minutes.
No one on the Fox set interrupted him.
No producer screamed into a headset trying to stop him.
“I really didn’t think it would get as much attention as it has gotten,’’ Jackson told USA TODAY Sports after the game, “but as much response as it generated, I didn’t get one negative response. Not one.
“I didn’t know Alex would ask me that question, but I’m glad they gave me a chance to respond.
“I’m glad people listened."
Loud. And clear.
Really, the oddest reaction was from America itself.
Folks acted as if they were shocked this was happening 50 years ago and not centuries ago.
Wake up.
It was in the ’80s when Al Campanis, general manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, uttered on national TV that Blacks lacked “the necessities" to be general managers or managers in the game.
It was in the early ’90s in Los Angeles when Rodney King was brutally beaten by police officers on the city streets and every officer was acquitted.
It was in the mid-’90s in Vero Beach, Florida, when an apartment complex refused to allow a reporter’s two black children to swim in its community swimming pool.
It was in the past five years that George Floyd was murdered in Minneapolis, Breonna Taylor was shot and killed in her bedroom in Louisville, and Ahmaud Arbery was murdered jogging in Georgia.
So, really, we’re shocked that Jackson couldn’t eat in restaurants, sleep in hotels and hang in country clubs with his white teammates 57 years ago?
Welcome to America.
Racism still flourishes in this country, but the only difference, as Hank Aaron once told me, “the difference back then is that they had hoods. Now, they have neckties and starched shirts." [Shiftless comment - now they have red hats.]
“In the South," Jackson said, “you knew they didn’t like you. You knew they didn''t want you. They didn’t hide it."
Now, racism may not be as overt, but as Jackson reminded the country this week, don’t be naive to think it has gone away, or even greatly diminished.
Oh, and just in case you needed a reminder, there are only two Black managers in baseball, one Black general manager and there still has never been a majority Black owner. Jackson said Saturday he still is incensed the he was denied the opportunity to bid on the Oakland Athletics in 2005 when it was sold to John Fisher.
So, you really believe things have changed?
“I am glad,’’ Jackson said, “that I said what I did. It needed to be said."
And repeated over and over again.

“In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve” French diplomat and historian Alexis de Tocqueville

[Shiftless comment - now they have red hats.] #1,387
The white hood of the KKK costume *? Just borrow a pillowcase from Mom.
Not much $money in that. BUT !!
Trump's raking in a fortune selling cheap ball caps. For those wishing to hide their bald spot, why not amp up your game? Invest in fashion. Invest in a Stetson.

* Inspired by the dunce cap?

I thought Donald Duck was a better swimmer.
Looks like Pooh Bear has had his appendix removed.
And Mickey? A sympathy wound to the ear?
#1,388: in the graphic whitecaps represent peril. In the United States the true danger is not whitecaps, but red hats.

Back