Photos, vids, etc ....

Be sure to turn on the sound ...

Hockey player Marc-Andre Fleury proudly dons a Native American-made mask after being threatened by the NHL not to

Fleury wanted to honor his wife, Véronique, who is Indigenous Canadian, by wearing a specially designed mask by artist Cole Redhorse Taylor.

And the fucking NHL decided they were gonna threaten Fleury with fines if he DARED to wear this mask during warm-ups, after already being told he couldn't.

This after they're just coming off the blowback of attempting to ban Pride jerseys (a decision they made in a sudden reveral of allowing them in the first place... after they decided they wanted to keep bigoted players rather than bench them for not participating).

The NHL apparently loves the taste of their foot in their mouth.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...c-andre-fleury-mask-honoring-native-americans

And here's the artist: https://coleredhorsetaylor.com/

1c9154705664013c227b005056a9545d

Dr. Tyson seems affable enough.
But de-planeting Pluto was a palace coup.
Shortly after he did we got images of Pluto with enough resolution to show Pluto as approximately spherical, as the other planets in our solar system approximately are.
If it was jagged, a cosmic shard, I'd have supported not including Pluto in the list of planets.
It isn't.
I don't.

Here's an ice picture for you.

ice00014.jpg

Read this one between the lines. It seems to be sending different messages to different audiences.
For example, patient zero here is a pre-pubescent boy. Certainly gender identity can precede puberty.
But the plot of this one-framer offers a socio-political perspective, less common in that age group. FOX! Thin ice.

fox03.JPG

The bonus?
The living room equivalent of the infinity pool. No interior wall.

For example, patient zero here is a pre-pubescent boy. Certainly gender identity can precede puberty.
Children do self-identify by gender at a very young age - as early as two or three - long before puberty rears its head and long before they have any idea about sex.

BTW, I read this as being seriously transphobic and given that it's from Fox I'm sure I'm right.

I read this as being seriously transphobic and given that it's from Fox I'm sure I'm right.
That was my first reaction as well.
But I've squandered enough decades of my life with dour, judgemental world-view. I figured posting it for discussion was better than nothing. If nothing else it's a reminder FOX is still off the rails.

When using Microsoft (MS) snipping tool I was careful to leave the FOX badge of shame attached. The post doesn't tell the same story without it. I'd hoped you'd recognize it. Glad you did.

Historians worldwide acknowledge, the person that coined the term "Consider the source" wasn't talking about TABASCO®.

dour (dr, dour)
adj. dour·er, dour·est
1. Marked by sternness or harshness; forbidding: a dour, self-sacrificing life.
2. Silently ill-humored; gloomy: the proverbially dour New England Puritan.
3. Sternly obstinate; unyielding: a dour determination.

[Middle English, possibly from Middle Irish dúr, probably from Latin dūrus, hard; see deru- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

dourly adv.
dourness n.

Usage Note: The word dour, which is etymologically related to duress and endure, traditionally rhymes with tour. The pronunciation that rhymes with sour is a standard variant that has been in use for more than a century. In our 1996 survey, 65 percent of the Usage Panel preferred the traditional pronunciation, and 33 percent preferred the variant. In our 2011 survey, opinion was almost evenly split, with 52 percent preferring the traditional pronunciation and 48 percent preferring the variant. These results suggest that the variant could overtake the traditional pronunciation in preference.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved. I did not know that.

- and -

ref:
Transphobia consists of negative attitudes, feelings, or actions towards transgender people or transness in general. Transphobia can include fear, aversion, hatred, violence or anger towards people who do not conform to social gender roles. Transphobia is a type of prejudice and discrimination, similar to racism, sexism, or ableism, and it is closely associated with homophobia. Transgender people of color can experience many different forms of discrimination simultaneously.
Transgender youth often experience a combination of abuse from family members, sexual harassment, and bullying or school violence. They are also disproportionately placed in foster care and welfare programs compared to their peers. Adult transgender people regularly encounter sexual violence, police violence, public ridicule, misgendering, or other forms of violence and harassment in their daily lives. These issues cause many trans people to feel unsafe in public. Other issues include healthcare discrimination, workplace discrimination or feeling under siege by conservative political or religious groups who oppose LGBT-rights laws. Discrimination and violence sometimes originates from people within the LGBT community or feminist movements.
As well as increased risk of violence and other threats, the stress created by transphobia causes negative mental health outcomes and lead to drug use disorders, running away from home (in minors), and suicide.
In much of the Western world, there has been a gradual establishment of policies combatting discrimination and supporting equal opportunity in all aspects of life since the 1990s. The trend is also taking shape in some developing nations. In addition, campaigns regarding the LGBT community are being spread around the world to improve social acceptance of nontraditional gender identities. The "Stop the Stigma" campaign by the UN is one such example. However, transphobic violence has been on the rise since 2021, accompanied with an increase in anti-trans discriminatory laws being enacted in many parts of the US and other countries.
More from Wikipedia

Without the Fox News badge I'd have come to the same conclusion - might have wondered if the cartoonist was trying to be sarcastic by showing that transphobia is ridiculous but that's the only question that I'd have had.

"Without the Fox News badge I'd have come to the same conclusion - " S2 #969
Indeed.
Either way we could have pointed the accusatory finger.
But with the attribute, we not only know where to point the finger. We also know, corroborated by well deserved, long-tenured reputation that we have (if you'll pardon the expression) hit the bull's eye by pointing at FOX.

note:
Trekies may recognize the term "prime directive".
As I understand Wilson, humans have this deeply coded compulsion to breed.
Life is relatively simple for binaries with this disposition, with powerful libidinous impulses, etc.

The problem we're contending with here is some of those binaries are so shallow, and so poorly disciplined that they aggress against those that don't mesh with their own haploid aspirations.
Understanding this certainly does not excuse it.

But Secretary Buttigeig demonstrated impressive leadership on the CBS-TV The Late Show when host Colbert mentioned that one of the Republican Speakers (don't remember which) insulted homosexuality.
Buttigeig suggested that he and his husband should entertain the speaker at their DC home, and demonstrate that their home with young children is little different from others with hetero-parents.

We rarely change minds by denting helmets. I sincerely appreciate your commitment to this near orphaned human rights cause S2. You are a champion of champions for it.
Unfortunately, as many a dark-skinned person in the U.S. can tell you, MLK and President Obama may have enormously advanced the cause.
But it seems rendering the United States of America colorblind is a will-o'-the-wisp.
Even rendering light skin a minority as some projections indicate, we will not end racism.
And if we can't end bigotry for ~13% of the population, the ~10% (or whatever it is) are not likely to fare much better.

And so we slog onward, preaching and trying to live by the golden rule. KJV - Matthew 7:12

Have to say, I like Pete - think he was the best of the candidates aiming for the Dem nomination in 2020 - but I also think he's unelectable (at least for now). Homophobia (and bigotry in general) runs too deep, especially among the MAGA crowd.

LfAcHHy.jpeg

https://x.com/MollyJongFast/status/1734399616731226288?s=20

Thankfully she’s escaped from Howdy Arabia and is now getting the care she needs, but I doubt she’ll be able to set foot there again in the near future.

And what’s happening here will happen all across America if you ever let the GQP win again, because they *will* ban it nationally.

States Rights was always a Lie. And you’ll have US AG Ken Paxton under Donald Trump or whoever, chasing people down in New England and California.

Back