PayPal: Policy to Fine Customers for 'misinfo' was 'error'

Borg Refinery

Oct 10 (Reuters) - PayPal Holdings Inc (PYPL.O) said on Monday it will not fine users for misinformation and an earlier policy update that said customers could have to pay $2,500 in damages was sent in error.

Shares of the San Jose, California-based company were down nearly 6% after the update, which PayPal said "included incorrect information", sparked intense backlash on social media over the weekend.

"PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy. We're sorry for the confusion this has caused," a spokesperson for the company said.

According to several media reports last week, PayPal had published a policy update prohibiting customers from using its services for activities identified by it as "sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials" promoting misinformation.

The new policy, which said customers could have to pay damages of $2,500 for each violation, was supposed to go into effect on Nov. 3, the reports said.

PayPal's former president David Marcus slammed the policy in a tweet on Saturday, saying the new policy "goes against everything I believe in".

"A private company now gets to decide to take your money if you say something they disagree with. Insanity" Marcus tweeted.

Elon Musk, the billionaire Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) chief who co-founded PayPal, tweeted "Agreed", replying to Marcus's tweet.

PayPal's clarification was earlier reported by Bloomberg News.

I've known of PayPal for quite a while, am reminded whenever I do e-tail shopping (when local brick & mortar can't supply it).
But I've been using credit cards, not as access to $borrowing, only as a medium of $exchange.

Makes me feel like a bit of a ~70 year old troglodyte. But I don't seem to need PayPal. You see, I don't drag my knuckles on the ground behind me for fun. It's just my arms are really, really looong! How long? 1954.

I've known of PayPal for quite a while, am reminded whenever I do e-tail shopping (when local brick & mortar can't supply it).
But I've been using credit cards, not as access to $borrowing, only as a medium of $exchange.

Makes me feel like a bit of a ~70 year old troglodyte. But I don't seem to need PayPal. You see, I don't drag my knuckles on the ground behind me for fun. It's just my arms are really, really looong! How long? 1954.

You use PayPal as a medium of sexchange..?

Sometimes I think we speak different languages, as I am rather confused by these messages.

Kjd4kjOpqD2AlW8gddHVcBkvrrtmiO7c3oeB0pQDtwfw5j_GybyplcaEd6YhW0kCqE7T

$ is the symbol of United States currency, the U.S. dollar, aka "green back".
Perfectly understandable.
"sear" (an Internet pseudonym), akin to vastly more familiar (& thus a far better example) "Mark Twain" for writer Samuel Langhorne Clemens, or "John Wayne" for actor Marion Robert Morrison.

To render my style recognizable, when it's an issue involving money, I sometimes signify the link, instead of "exchange" (meaning to buy), I add a dollar sign ($), to get $exchange. Perhaps equally familiar in my posts, "BUT !!"
It's a metaphorical trademark. It's more than merely a familiar mark of visual distinction. It's also a flashing beacon to my reasoning style; no such thing as a one-sided coin. It's very simple. I first state the obvious case, context from which then to elaborate the refutation, the metaphorical "other side of the coin".
It signifies that "sear" doesn't harbor a monopolar world-view. We (sear and I) KNOW the coin has two sides, BUT !! we have a preference.

Sir Winston Churchill was wisely quoted as saying the U.S. & the U.K. are separated by a common language.

Please let me know if that doesn't clarify it O #3. I seldom if ever post to puzzle or confuse. Clarification is a primary objective of not only my posts, but of CitizenVoice.us
"Precision & clarity in the use of language leads to precision & clarity of thought." President Nixon era FBI agent G. Gordon Liddy, one of the "plumbers" party to the break-in at the Watergate Hotel

m #7
I don't know what the bank regs. are where you are. In the U.S. it's the bank, not the credit card holder that's at risk regarding fraud. I've got an active credit card fraud case right now, by coincidence, about CitizenVoice.us
Our domain custodian was NameCheap (the bad guys). When our first year expired I had to renew, literally only a $few $dollars. I spent not only hours, literally over a week trying to simply pay them for another year. They ended up swindling me into buying a brand new, entirely worthless additional domain, with nearly identical name, and still didn't extend CitizenVoice.us for another year.
Finally in desperation I simply abandoned NameCheap, and hooked up with GoDaddy (the good guys). I think the yearly cost went from a few dollars, to about 20 because of this switch, about an order of magnitude increase, AND ONE HECK OF A BARGAIN AT THAT, on a per hour basis. Over a week with NameCheap, and about 7 minutes w/ GoDaddy.
I got the credit card bill with the NameCheap swindle on it (for the worthless new domain), and didn't want to pay it. The credit card bank canceled the credit card, sent me a replacement with an entirely different number (I just paid the bill for the legitimate charges I made on that new card about an hour ago, also paid by Internet).

None of that's anything bad about paypal. Some Internet merchants seem to like it. Not sure whether they prefer it to credit card. Anyway, ... and they lived happily ever after.

here if you pay by credit card you get all sorts of benefits, buy a TV in a shop with your credit cards if you drop it on your way home its insured (but only until you get home) buy something on your credit card with a 6 month warranty and if it breaks after 7 months you can often get your money back from the card company like wise if you buy something and the company you bought it off goes bust the credit card company assumes the responsibility of the warranty.

Debit cards dont offer quite the same protection some protection just not the same protection.

I bought something from China last year what arrived wasnt what I bought and the company in China wouldnt talk to me, Paypal were not particularly interested so I rang my card provider I had my money back within the day with the warning that should the Chinese company resolve the matter I would have to return the money

I dodged the debit-card issue so I wouldn't have to confess my own ignorance. I carry one debit card & four credit cards. The debit card is mainly for ATM use. I carry more than one credit card, because one credit card can go bad for a variety of reasons. Doesn't hurt to have plans-B, C, & D.

China's funny.
I think I'd love the Chinese, but wouldn't have a prayer trying to learn Mandarin, or any of the others.
In one of the purchases I made from China, there was a shipping delay, I got a notice from China in very broken English. There was no immediate need for the order, so I thanked them for the notification, did not cancel the order. I got a note back from China: "Nice you." I wouldn't attempt to reply in Chinese, but I replied: "Nice you too." Soon after I received the order, I've since forgotten what it was. Possibly some stainless steel measuring spoons.

m #9
PS
[rant]
"buy something on your credit card with a 6 month warranty and if it breaks after 7 months you can often get your money back from the card company" m #9
Is it just me, or isn't this a glaring indication these credit card banks are absolutely awash with cash ?!

They simply could not possibly do this on thin profit margin.

It's a really simple racket. The credit card bank skims a fee from the merchant for each credit card transaction, the merchant absorbs the loss to the cc bank, charging the same retail price whether paid in cash, or card.
During a gasoline price spike several years ago I read the credit card bank was making more profit from the purchase of a gallon of gasoline than the brick and mortar gasoline station actually providing the fuel to consumers. Don't know whether that's the norm or not.

- golly -
[/rant]

Is it just me, or isn't this a glaring indication these credit card banks are absolutely awash with cash ?!
well they are but they dont do this out of the kindness of their heart Section 75 of our consumer credit act compels them to do it

If you pay off the card in full there is no charge to you

I do not mean to imply malevolent intent, but somehow children get storybook / fairy-tale ideas that bleed into real life perception or expectation in later life. The truth is even within families there is gossip. Will uncle George unhitch his pants again at the banquet table this year, after over-eating?
There are numerous prerequisites that comprise our modern culture. The Industrial Revolution, interchangeability of parts, essential. Language & the written word, essential. Efficient transport, both car & truck, essential. And in my opinion, "universal" money, either £ or $ for example. A modern society could not be run on barter. How would a cattleman pay a bus driver for a 15 minute ride on the cross-town line? Or buy a newspaper for the ride?
Crypto-currency a tangent worthy of its own thread. But credit card as medium of exchange, easily based upon an underlying monetary unit. But it improves economic efficiency, cutting in half the time required to mail-order by filling in a paper order form & cramming it in an envelope (the standard early in my lifetime I imagine)(via "Sears" catalog, no relation).
OK, I'm already in over my head. Point is, credit cards benefit the society by improving economic efficiency, commerce, etc. Bankers are rewarded, yin-yan.

Good luck trying to get Newegg to send some USB external hard drives to you by buying them over the telephone with cash. Doesn't work.

In the U.S., same thing. Pay the monthly cc bill in full, and $zero $interest (& zero fees in some cases). Not sure which continent implemented that first.

I find this government deference to private industry fascinating. NASA used to drop their used rockets into the ocean. Then NASA teamed up with SpaceX, and now Elon Musk brings the spent stages back for re-use.

The cherry on top for me:
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell: US Patent Office Commissioner 1899 (Charles Holland Duell)

IIRC Duell actually wanted to shut down his own office, seemed to believe it had been rendered obsolete. Amusing notion for guy-on-the-street. But the head of the U.S. Patent Office ?! wowsers

ref:
M1, M2 and M3 are measurements of the United States money supply, known as the money aggregates. M1 includes money in circulation plus checkable deposits in banks. M2 includes M1 plus savings deposits (less than $100,000) and money market mutual funds. M3 includes M2 plus large time deposits in banks.

I tend to only use a credit card for on line purchases because the extra benefits if its real world I use a debit card - pre covid I hardly ever used my debit card conducting almost everything in cash.

good luck trying to get Newegg to send some USB external hard drives to you by buying them over the telephone with cash. Doesn't work.

You used to be able to pay Cash on Delivery (CoD) but that seems to have died out

In my early childhood Mom brought me grocery shopping because she didn't want to pay for a babysitter.
The Grand Union where she shopped didn't have conveyor-belts @register, which were mechanical machines. They may have had hand cranks on the side.
For the cashier to bring purchases in reach she operated a heavy wooden contraption that slid them across a non-moving counter.
$Cash was the coin of the realm. To pay by personal check was a major ordeal. The cashier had to summon a manager that had to verify and approve the transaction after confirming ID, etc.
Very late in that store's history I recall someone trying to pay with a credit card. It was a far bigger ordeal than personal check.

Today we don't even have to sign, and credit card purchase is quicker than cash. Either cram the card in the slot, or tap it on the chip reader.

Reportedly it doesn't end there. On TV I saw a segment that reported there was progress on a checkoutless grocery store. Just shop, fill the cart, and cart it out to the car. Don't know the details.
But we've got self-checkout here, seems to work OK. I've wondered what the shoplifting stats are, if it changed much with the introduction of self-checkout.

COD: makes me feel like a dinosaur to know what that is.

ps
A co-worker wanted to impress a gal. So he bought a brand new Jeep, and got a credit card, and took her to the athletic supply store where he tried to buy a weight-lifting set.
Don't know why but his credit card was rejected. He had no plan B (probably not enough cash on him to cover the purchase). Likeable guy. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. It's why I carry 4 credit cards, and the debit card.

I use a credit card for nearly everything because I get money back that can be used for hotel rooms (or I think flights but I don't get frequent flier miles if I use them for flights). This has, in the past 10 years or so, saved me a fortune. I recently dumped 2 years worth of points into a roadtrip along the south of England. Came home to find my freezer and computer had broken, replaced the fridge and computer, and got enough points to go back! We won't be road tripping this time, because, holy hell, that's the price per liter over there! It did temporarily shut my sister, who lives in California, up about the prices she pays for gas, though. :alien:

Not an accusation, a confession Z #16. Do to age, or some other mental infirmity, I have never collected a penny of the credit card "cash back" I've been told I have. I can't really call such kick-back unethical. I just don't like the idea. In 30 years I suspect it's amounted to quite a bit, as I carry $cash mainly for ballast. The only thing I don't buy with credit card is lottery tickets. I spend about $5 per week. $Jackpots for the two big jackpot multi-State games here are now over $400 $Million.
I tell myself at some size jackpot, it becomes less gambling, and more high-risk investing. But the truth is I have no children, no grandchildren, and no wives. So I'm not squandering anyone's inheritance.

Steady: I'm an amateur. But if the pros were so great, why is the man who invests someone else's money called a "broker"?

Well it expires, so it may not be as much as you think, but really, you should collect it. Otherwise it's just giving free money to a $billionaire corporation instead of keeping it for yourself. If you don't need the money, you can always donate it to me! <jk> Personally, I like to travel, and I'm in a long distance relationship, so hotel rooms are great for me. It's something I might not otherwise be able to afford, and it gives me at least one silver lining when there are $thousands in emergencies all of a sudden.

Well it expires, so it may not be as much as you think, but really, you should collect it. Otherwise it's just giving free money to a $billionaire corporation instead of keeping it for yourself.
That's what they want us to think. BUT !

My perspective:
If the item retail price is $100 and I pay $cash (paper money) the retailer gets $100.
If the item retail price is $100 and I pay w/ credit card, it costs me $100, but the retailer only gets $97 (or whatever his cut is). The bank skims $3%, and pretends to Robin Hood-like heroism by kicking back a slim share of his $3% plunder.

I don't fancy myself a purist. But in this case it simply has the appearance of "ill-gotten gain". I'm a disciple of psychologist Joy Browne. "While it is important to avoid impropriety, it is also important to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Right or wrong, even though it's legal, to me it's tainted $money. I don't want it. Am I just too old?

I'm not sure your age plays into it. My parents are older than you, but they get airline rewards points on their credit card, and are currently living it up in Italy based on those rewards.

The money is yours. You can give it back to the bank if you want, but I wouldn't.

Back