Election 2024

Biden Sets Fundraiser With Headliner David Letterman Amid Reports He’s Close to Dropping Out #340​

More than one possibility here, but the obvious:
Joe will go, BUT !
Neither quietly nor gracefully.

t #340
Letterman was also on top, and bowed out to some degree at the top of his game.
You think there's a connection?

When you are a child of immigrants & your Trump hating husband becomes Trump’s VP pick & you introduce him in front of racist crowd waving “Mass Deportation Now” signs​

XG7xTmO.jpeg

Link to article without paywall: Far-right attacks target J.D. Vance’s wife Usha’s Indian heritage

http://web.archive.org/web/20240719...07/18/rnc-convention-usha-vance-maga-attacks/

Nick Fuentes, an avowed white supremacist, who has also promoted antisemitism and who attended the deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville in 2017 — said he doesn’t expect “the guy who has an Indian wife” to “support White identity.”

Just a reminder to “model minorities” regardless of your qualifications, wealth, skills or contribution far right won’t accept you.

Yep - "chain immigration", something he's very vocally opposed to.
Trump ?
A hypocrite ?!?!?!
Where's my Metaprolol !?! [heart meds]

Honestly S2.
When it's so bad, even rapier satire bounces off, we know we've got a brand new definition for "grim".

Skip the Metaprolol. Get the Thorazine !

The Hill

Harris vs. Trump: What the polls tell us​

Julia Mueller / Sun, July 21, 2024 at 7:00 PM EDT
Trump, who officially accepted the Republican nomination at the GOP convention last week, leads Harris by 2 points, according to the aggregate of national polls, 47 percent support to 45 percent. That’s around the same as Trump’s 2.5-point lead over Biden, with 46 percent support to the incumbent’s 43.5.

Unless the DNC decides not to nominate her the question then becomes who she will choose for VP.

The names I like are probably unelectable (AOC and Pete Buttigieg) so she (they?) have to find someone.

I like Secretary Buttigieg on substance rather than style:
- a U.S. military combat commander
- a wicked smart, articulate guy that serves the People instead of himself - but
Not sure he'd do for the ticket what Senator Kelly would:
- A U.S. military pilot
- an astronaut commander (he's not just dreaaaaaaaamy, he's out of this world !)
and, he'd probably help Harris keep / turn Aridzona blue.

I get the impression Kelly's on the fast track.

Personally I liked Buttigieg more than Biden in 2020 but I don't think he's electable - he's gay and bigotry runs too deep in the US.

Hillary was ahead in the polls as well - that's one of the reasons she lost - everyone was convinced she was going to win hands down so they didn't need to vote

huAZosP.png

Personally I liked Buttigieg more than Biden in 2020 but I don't think he's electable - he's gay and bigotry runs too deep in the US.
Sanity check me here S2.
I was born '54.
If Jim Crow was over by then, it was still a fresh enough memory to be gone but not forgotten. Cultures, societies may change slower than laws.
I get the impression there's been more civil rights progress in my lifetime than there's been in the entire millennium before it.

Either way, it'd have been nice to see MLK at the Obama inauguration.

Obama012.JPG
I love this pic S2. NBC was televising Obama's inauguration. And two Tuskegee Airmen were in the audience to witness it.
The image is a simple screen grab caught half-way through a fade. It's a simple commercial television broadcast. BUT !
It's also a sign, we're not doing nothing about bigotry in the good ol' U.S. of A.

& hey, the next "Black" U.S. president may be a chick. AND !
The first gentleman a lawyer, AND a Jew.

What the %$#@ is this world coming to?!

Voter suppression

Q3Zpa1Q.jpeg

Agreement paves the way for VA to be a Voter Registration Agency in Michigan

WASHINGTON — Today, on National Voter Registration Day, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the office of the Michigan Secretary of State announced the signing of an interagency agreement to designate the Saginaw VA Medical Center, the Detroit VA Medical Center, and the Detroit Regional Office as voter registration sites. This agreement will empower VA to provide voter registration information and assistance to Veterans and eligible dependents at these three facilities.

What's more important?
- Outcome?
- Process?

President Trump legitimately won the presidency by the expressed will of the minority. That's process.

Trump biggest nightmare:
Switch to Kamala Harris leaves Team Trump with regrets about Vance

NBC
Mon, July 22, 2024 at 10:46 PM EDT
Donald Trump built his campaign on the idea of running against Joe Biden, including choosing a running mate more intended to stoke the base than broaden Trump's appeal. Now that Biden has deferred to Kamala Harris, Trump is having to retool with his disadvantageous running mate already locked in.

1721976956579.jpeg
NBC The Tonight Show, Greg Jarmon

Thursday night's segment featuring Greg Jarmon mentioned the Trump team's "embarrass Harris" strategy of
criticizing Democrat presidential candidate VP Harris' cheerful disposition.

Written into this segment, a counter to the Trump M.A.G.A. hat & slogan: Make America Great Again

M.A.L.A. is both a nickname, a contraction of the vice president's name Kamala (KaM.A.L.A.)
and a political slogan: Make America Laugh Again.

Not sure it'll catch on: Wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe we need a new thread called "political foot in mouth disease"?

That said this clip has everything! Anti-Semitism? CHECK! Misogyny? CHECK! Racism? CHECK! baseless premises? CHECK!!

As an observation, when he say's "it's really creepy" I think he was looking in the mirror.

That said this clip has everything! Anti-Semitism? CHECK! Misogyny? CHECK! Racism? CHECK! baseless premises? CHECK!! #357
OK
We now know what.
There may be two reasons why.
a) The reason he'll offer, if pressed.
b) His actual reason.

I'd be curious to know both.

Back