Cops behaving badly ...

But a first step would be to institute a policy that says any officer who engages with a suspect (or just the public) for any reason with his bodycam turned off gets an automatic suspension without pay.
Astounding that it's not already policy coast to coast. Isn't it?

There are a few technical problems.
A flashlight switch is quite simple, & fairly reliable, rapidly responsive to user command.
Depending on the model, a police bodycam on / off switch may require a few seconds to activate / deactivate the camera. Not merely that a brief tap of the switch results in a few seconds delay in activating the camera,
but on some bodycams the switch must remain depressed until the camera is activated.
That in turn suggests bodycams which remain on all shift.
That technology is nearly there, for an 8 hour shift.
The nerds that design bodycams do not understand the requirements of police work.

t #139
Seems like you & S2 have split the baby. Wouldn't surprise me if some policy making officers in the police chain of command are dismissive to some degree, thinking: police work isn't easy. Let the critics pound a beat for a few years. THEN they can criticize. And the problems persist.
What part of "public safety" do they not understand?

ohUGraz.png

France does it right.

dxy2bIv.jpeg

One kid and they turn everything upside down, meanwhile here in America we kill 10 kids before breakfast. France has always been great at holding leaders and people of power accountable, that’s definitely the one thing they do right over there. Although, I’m sure you’re not too happy if it’s your car they’re burning, but still…

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/06/28/...ice-traffic-stop-nanterre-intl-hnk/index.html

France does it right.
One kid and they turn everything upside down, meanwhile here in America we kill 10 kids before breakfast. France has always been great at holding leaders and people of power accountable, that’s definitely the one thing they do right over there. Although, I’m sure you’re not too happy if it’s your car they’re burning, but still…
I don't have enough information to make sense of this. I visited Paris a few times in the '70's. But since then I gather there's been an influx of immigrants many of whom are Muslim.
Reportedly the relations between the police and this segment of immigrants is bad enough that the immigrants don't like, and manage to curtail a police presence in their insular neighborhood/s.

On global scale, integration seems to be the liberal "solution". BUT !!
a) Is it viable?
b) At what cost?
The vision of integration as preached by MLK, if possible at all, may be centuries or millennia away.
But globally, some factors tend to integrate, while others tend to segregate. On global scale, I wonder whether the segregating factors will persist for virtual perpetuity.

Police in California are not immune from civil lawsuits for misconduct that happens while they investigate crimes, the state Supreme Court ruled this week, overruling a precedent made by lower courts that had helped protect law enforcement from litigation for decades.

Police in California aren't immune from certain misconduct lawsuits, high court rules

Police in California are not immune from civil lawsuits for misconduct that happens while they investigate crimes, the state Supreme Court ruled this week, overruling a precedent made by lower courts that had helped protect law enforcement from litigation for decades.

The justices on Thursday unanimously rejected an argument by Riverside County that its sheriff's deputies couldn't be sued for leaving a man's naked body lying in plain sight for eight hours while officers investigated his killing.

California law protects police from being sued for any harm that happens during a prosecution process - even if the officer acted "maliciously and without probable cause." Now, the Supreme Court says police can be sued for misconduct during investigations.

The ruling cites previous case law that defined investigatory actions as those before charges are filed.

"The potential for factual overlap between investigations and prosecutions does not justify treating them as one and the same," Justice Leondra Kruger wrote in the ruling.

Kruger noted the court issued a similar ruling in 1974. But in 1994, a state appeals court adopted a broader interpretation to shield police from lawsuits stemming from conduct during investigations. Lower courts have been relying on that ruling to dismiss misconduct lawsuits against law enforcement that did not involve prosecutions.

A lawyer representing Riverside County in the case did not immediately respond to a ....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scot-peterson-verdict-parkland-shooting-sheriff-deputy/

Parkland shooting sheriff's deputy Scot Peterson found not guilty on ...

2 days ago ... Scot Peterson was the only armed school resource officer at Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when the shooting started.

Tragic !

The result of this SCOTUS ruling: when rioters outside the doughnut shop are slaughtering innocents by the hundreds, on-duty policemen inside the doughnut shop will be allowed to finish their double latte frappuccino before they start reading the newspaper.

Remember the good ol' days when Republicans claimed to stand for law & order? That was a long time ago.

No charges for Oklahoma sheriff who talked of killing journalists, prosecutor says

A sheriff in southeast Oklahoma who was among several county officials caught on tape discussing killing journalists and lynching Black people won’t face criminal charges or be removed from office, the state’s top prosecutor said Friday.

In a letter to Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt, Attorney General Gentner Drummond said his office and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation had completed their investigation and found no legal grounds to ...

"Let's kill all the lawyers" is a line from William Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2. The full quote is: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". It is among Shakespeare's most famous lines, as well as one of his most controversial.
Wikipedia

This from France - the guy was minding his own business

They did prosecute the police woman who did this, but gave her a suspended sentence of 3 months, and let the others in the car off the hook, although they failed to give assistance to someone in urgent need (after they committed the violence). With cops like this, of course people riot. Although the case was in the news because of this amateur video, the only news about the conviction appeared in French sources.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/faits-diver...pour-une-policiere-ayant-gaze-un-sdf-20230107

Ohio police officer caught on Ohio State Highway Patrol body-cam unleashing a police dog on a Black truck driver.
Officer Ryan Speakman, ostensibly the Circleville police dog handler, has reportedly been fired.

Some reports indicate the unleashed police dog drew blood. Will the settlement reach $7 figures?

This isn't about behaving badly but instead it's about who actually gets hired as a police officer (and may explain some of their actions)

Too Smart To Be A Cop?

Forty-five-year-old Corrections Officer Robert Jordan believes he has been discriminated against after the city of New London, Conn., deemed him too smart to be an enforcement officer and denied him employment.

After he filed a lawsuit, the federal judge dismissed it, ruling that the police department's rejection of Jordan did not violate his rights. Jordan strongly disagrees and tells CBS This Morning's Thalia Assuras why.

"I was just taken aback," Jordan says. "Philosophically, I found it offensive to the entire profession of law enforcement. We all know talented, intelligent people that pursue successful careers in law enforcement."
In May 1997 Jordan filed a lawsuit against the New London Police Department for denying him the opportunity of becoming a law enforcement officer in the city where he was born and raised and which he still lives nearby.

"I just couldn't accept it. And I found out there is absolutely no evidence.Â…There is no connection between your basic intelligence and job satisfaction or longevity on the job," he says.

Jordan was deemed too smart for the police force because he received a high score on an intelligence test. Jordan, then 45, scored a 33, the equivalent of having an IQ of 125.

The average score nationally for police officers as well as for office workers, bank tellers and salespeople is 21 or 22, the equivalent of having an IQ of 104.

The city's rationale for the long-standing practice is that candidates who score too high could get bored with police work and quit after undergoing costly academy training.

Recently U.S. District Judge Peter C. Dorsey ruled the New London Police Department's rejection of Jordan, because of his high IQ test score, was not in violation of his rights.

The court dismissed his lawsuit Aug. 31 and his attorney informed him on Wednesday.

Jordan feels the New London policy is ludicrous primarily because ...

Continued

"Forty-five-year-old Corrections Officer Robert Jordan believes he has been discriminated against after the city of New London, Conn., deemed him too smart to be an enforcement officer and denied him employment." #155
This decision would be made at policy-making level.
The obvious explanation, police command didn't want to risk being out-smarted.

And thus, police recruitment limited to those less bright than their commanders? 'splains a lot

S2 #157
So the obvious question:
since "one bad apple spoils the barrel" have the dim-witted n'er-do-wells overtaken the asylum?
Has U.S. society simply ceded law enforcement to the mediocre & corrupt?

I suspect a false economy here. It may seem to some amateurish bean-counters like there's savings in low police salaries. But factor in the true social costs of inadequate policing, and what cost is society really paying?

Remember, this is the police on their best behavior when they KNOW they are being recorded." S2 #159
No explanation makes sense to me, but among the most plausible:
- their criminal misconduct became habit before the proliferation of the police body-cam
- they think they'll get away with it
- they don't think they'll get away with it, but don't care

The United States of America has abandoned cars
on the moon !
But we're not smart enough to end this abuse of government power? I suspect if they really wanted to, they could. That indicates while even if an inconvenience, it's just not bad enough to do anything about.

Back