Anthropogenic Global Warming ... how hot is it ?

I'm going to link this article in the "Trump crimes" thread as well since Chubb is the company that posted Trump's bond.

From Russia to Brazil, Chubb is Insuring Deadly Oil and Gas Expansion

RAN and partners are ramping up the campaign demanding Chubb CEO Evan Greenberg take concrete action for the climate and communities around the world.​

by Elana Sulakshana

Without insurance, no new polluting energy project can be built, or even financed. Chubb, an insurance giant based in NYC, is one of the biggest providers of these insurance policies, underwriting the risks of digging new coal mines, building tar sands pipelines, and expanding oil and gas drilling in sensitive ecosystems across the world.

Chubb CEO Evan Greenberg talks a big game on climate change, but those words ring hollow when examining his company’s business practices. Chubb insures ...

CONTINUED

lB8QmmV.png

WASHINGTON (AP) — For the ninth straight month, Earth has obliterated global heat records — with February, the winter as a whole and the world’s oceans setting new high-temperature marks, according to the European Union climate agency Copernicus.

The latest record-breaking in this climate change-fueled global hot streak includes sea surface temperatures that weren’t just the hottest for February, but eclipsed any month on record, soaring past August 2023’s mark and still rising at the end of the month. And February, as well the previous two winter months, soared well past the internationally set threshold for long-term warming, Copernicus reported Wednesday.

The last month that didn’t set a record for hottest month was in May 2023 and that was a close third to 2020 and 2016. Copernicus records have fallen regularly from June on.

February 2024 averaged 13.54 degrees Celsius (56.37 degrees Fahrenheit), breaking the old record from 2016 by about an eighth of a degree. February was 1.77 degrees Celsius (3.19 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than the late 19th century, Copernicus calculated. Only last December was more above pre-industrial levels for the month than February was.

NASA Analysis Confirms 2023 as Warmest Year on Record

2023averagetemp-4k-for-2024-release.png

This map of Earth in 2023 shows global surface temperature anomalies, or how much warmer or cooler each region of the planet was compared to the average from 1951 to 1980. Normal temperatures are shown in white, higher-than-normal temperatures in red and orange, and lower-than-normal temperatures in blue. An animated version of this map shows global temperature anomalies changing over time, dating back to 1880. Download this visualization from NASA Goddard’s Scientific Visualization Studio: https://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/5207.

Lee esta nota de prensa en español aquí

Earth’s average surface temperature in 2023 was the warmest on record, according to an analysis by NASA. Global temperatures last year were around 2.1 degrees Fahrenheit (1.2 degrees Celsius) above the average for NASA’s baseline period (1951-1980), scientists from NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York reported.

“NASA and NOAA’s global temperature report confirms what billions of people around the world experienced last year; we are facing a climate crisis,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “From extreme heat, to wildfires, to rising sea levels, we can see our Earth is changing. There’s still more work to be done, but ...

CONTINUED

“NASA and NOAA’s global temperature report confirms what billions of people around the world experienced last year; we are facing a climate crisis,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “From extreme heat, to wildfires, to rising sea levels, we can see our Earth is changing. There’s still more work to be done, but ..." #143
I've been "on board" with this since I debated the following resolve on my high school debate team:
"The U.S. federal government should establish, finance, and administer programs to control air and water pollution in the United States." high school debate resolve

So #141 - #143 in my case is preaching to the choir. But,
I have wondered about the Canadian wildfires that turned my air orange-brown last year. All out?

This Republican has the solution to climate change and he's willing to move heaven and earth (or at least the moon) to do it

This Republican has the solution to climate change and he's willing to move heaven and earth (or at least the moon) to do it #145
- snicker -
a) I agree.
b) I can't imagine that any astrophysicist familiar with the fundamentals of orbital mechanics could logically disagree. Problem is
c) Adjusting Earth & or Moon's orbital parameters is beyond our capability THANK GOODNESS!
It's an unmistakable Sorcerer's Apprentice scenario.

So, which is better?
If this nut-job campaigns for Trump, or not.

State lawmakers pass unprecedented anti-science law: 'Our families are already suffering'

Story by Leslie Sattler

ontana's legislature has passed the nation's most aggressive anti-science law, prohibiting state agencies from considering the impacts of excess heat-trapping pollution when reviewing permits for large projects like coal mines and power plants.

Governor Greg Gianforte signed House Bill 971 into law, dealing a blow to evidence-based environmental policy, according to Inside Climate News.

What happened?​

The new law prevents the Montana Department of Environmental Quality and other regulators from factoring in heat-trapping emissions and their environmental impacts during mandated reviews.

It strengthens an existing state law that already banned considering "regional, national, or global" impacts.

Why is this law concerning?​

This legislation comes at a pivotal time, as Montana's climate has already changed significantly over the past century. The state has experienced ...

CONTINUED

[Montana] "Governor Greg Gianforte signed House Bill 971 into law, dealing a blow to evidence-based environmental policy, according to Inside Climate News." #147
?
One possible reason: these government officials believe the alarming climate change news in Montana is flawed enough that it does more harm than good. Or
Their priority is $dollars ahead of people.

Is there a 3rd explanation?

Complicating further:
in the Trump era politicians take a position, but provide rhetorical fig-leaf to justify what they'd be too ashamed to admit outright.
So we know what they've done here. Do we really know why? Will we ever?

- grim -

One possible reason: these government officials believe the alarming climate change news in Montana is flawed enough that it does more harm than good. Or
Their priority is $dollars ahead of people.

Is there a 3rd explanation?
Of course there is. Never forget that

The first duty of a politician is to get reelected

And on that front obs will win out over the environment very time.

"obs" #149
?
It's often characterized as the difference between "doing" the job, and "keeping" the job, the re-election thing you mentioned.

By the time the consequences manifest, I'll be dead? Sprew the grandkids?
226257849260d12d94e74cc99e45670d6db2725.gif

Or
the more plausible explanation, they're all ISIL sleeper-agents, doing what little they can to end Western civilization.
Ahhh, now it all makes more sense ...

Prepare for an Active Hurricane Season by Strengthening Your Property & Limiting the Potential for Damage
National Hurricane Preparedness Week (May 5-11) serves as an important reminder for consumers to take action to protect their homes and prepare their finances before the start of hurricane season on June 1. With forecasters at Colorado State University predicting a very active hurricane season ahead, it is critically important for residents of hurricane-prone states to take steps to strengthen their property against potential hurricane damage. Limiting the potential for damage and reducing losses from natural disasters is critical to improving the affordability and availability of insurance long-term, says the American Property Casualty Insurance Association (APCIA).
May 6, 2024 | All States, NAIC, Federal, International, District of Columbia

batter down the hatchets
wax the unbrella
gunna rain
American Property Casualty Insurance Association (APCIA). #151
I imagine there's a $money angle here. Not quite sure what.
Feigning concern, to promote sales?

And from where have they gotten this "information"? I don't NOAA ?

Of course there's a money angle - if a hurricane comes thru it's going to result in a catastrophic level of claims (billions of dollars worth). Anything that can reduce that is a plus. A plus to everyone (and that includes the homeowners).

Thanks S2.

There seems to be a near subliminal message here.
- Colorado State U
- APCIA
- NAIC

I might not ordinarily think these 3 akin.
I suppose what has drawn these 3 into closer if unusual alliance is unprecedented anthropogenic global warming.

storm240508a.JPG

I realize government is often the bottom-of-the-pecking-order stepchild in these fora, an easy blame target.
But it seems to me there's more here than merely the folly of locating mobile homes where funnel clouds land.

We apply engineering / safety standards such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to guard against obvious dangers such as 120 VAC.
We know how to build storm-resistant buildings.

storm01.JPG

So why are we perdiddling here ?

Doesn't mean insurance is bad. But insurance addresses recovery after the disaster.
Aren't we overdue for upgrading standards?

Face it - there will be hurricanes and they will cause damage. But global warming means there will be more of them and they will be more intense.

Re #154 - I remember reading about a "hurricane proof" house in Galveston - and the owners had a hurricane party (after all, their friends and neighbors would be completely safe). Only thing is, that was in 1900 when the storm hit and come morning there was no house left. Just an empty lot covered with rubble.

The problem wasn't that the house couldn't withstand the storm. The problems was the surrounding houses. When they broke up the flying debris demolished the hurricane proof house - bricks flying at 100 plus miles an hour tend to do that.

That storm was the deadliest natural disaster in American history

With the start of hurricane season less than a month away, U.S. officials who predict, prepare for and respond to natural disasters had a message for Floridians on Friday: It's not a matter of if a hurricane will hit, but when. The 2024 hurricane season is expected to be busier than average.

There's also the question of where (a storm hitting Miami is going to do a lot more damage than one that only hits a remote area), and of course just how strong the winds are.

"Face it - there will be hurricanes and they will cause damage. But global warming means there will be more of them and they will be more intense." S2 #155
Indeed.
Over the eons, climate has changed. Not only ice ages, palm trees in Alaska.
Anthropogenic climate change deniers cite this to clear their conscience as they hose $100 worth of fuel into their HumVee.

Perhaps more emphasis on the hand-to-mouth nature of the global human food chain, and how famine could affect us all if food-producing regions are adversely affected.
To those dismissive about the detriment of famine:
- Adolf Hitler is a name synonymous with bad guy, because Hitler killed millions. But
- Joe Stalin killed more humans than Hitler did, also out of malice. Stalin may have been worse than Hitler, but not the worst.
- Chairman Mao Tse-tung reportedly killed more humans than either Hitler or Stalin. BUT !!
Mao reportedly killed Chinese agricultural peasants by the tens of millions not out of malice, but with Mao's "agricultural reforms". Benevolence. An example of the benefit of central planning.
"That storm was the deadliest natural disaster in American history" #156
Take that Hurricane Andrew !
Not such a big-shot now, are you?!

PS #156
Indeed.
There's obviously more to building a hurricane proof / flood proof building, than building one that isn't, but declaring it so.

PS #156
Indeed.
There's obviously more to building a hurricane proof / flood proof building, than building one that isn't, but declaring it so.
My understanding is that if the house in question had been in the open it (probably) would have been okay. It was the surrounding houses that caused the problem.

Newsom’s latest insurance move could help Californians avoid canceled policies — but they’ll have to pay

If approved, the governor’s “trailer bill” could take effect by July 1​

As some Californians continue scrambling for ways to affordably insure their homes, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday announced a push to expedite how quickly insurance companies can increase rates.

Speedier approvals for rate hikes is one of the key reforms insurers say is necessary for them to stay afloat amid a growing number of costly claims in the Golden State, especially tied to recent wildfires and other mounting costs of climate change.

Newsom said he is drafting a “trailer bill” that could cut the current approval process down to 60 days — legislation he hopes will quell an exodus of insurers bailing their business out of California and ....

CONTINUED

Back