Anthropogenic Global Warming ... how hot is it ?

Antarctica "cooler" or "much cooler than average" NOAA #120
I did not know that.
I thought I'd read "global warming", the change in temperature was greatest at the poles.

The oceans color-coded red tell an ominous story. - uh oh -

428637775_10224099328542125_6545318220208020951_n.jpg

428622459_1113262646779299_6047929028147455117_n.jpg

#120 & #122
Seems contradictory to me.
Either way, the conclusion seems to be Arctic sea ice is receding in seasonal duration, and polar coverage (area).

Who cares?

A staple of the polar bear diet are seals. Polar bears hunt seals from ambush, at breathing holes in the ice.
The ice is the habitat. When the ice is gone, so is the hunting habitat.

Polar bear: Species of bear native largely to the Arctic Circle

The polar bear (Ursus maritimus) is a large bear native to the Arctic and nearby areas.
... The paws are large and allow the bear to walk on ice and paddle in the water.
Polar bears are both terrestrial and pagophilic (ice-living) and are considered to be marine mammals due to their dependence on marine ecosystems. They prefer the annual sea ice but live on land when the ice melts in the summer. They are mostly carnivorous and specialized for preying on seals, particularly ringed seals. Such prey is typically taken by ambush; the bear may stalk its prey on the ice or in the water, but also will stay at a breathing hole or ice edge to wait for prey to swim by. The bear primarily feeds on the seal's energy-rich blubber. Other prey include walruses, beluga whales and some terrestrial animals. Polar bears are usually solitary but can be found in groups when on land.
More from Wikipedia

Apathetic laymen may dismiss this as inconsequential to them.
But the broader implication is vivid warning. It's called an "ecosystem" for a reason, and some interrelationships within it may be less obvious.
ref:

It will cost $110 billion to protect San Francisco Bay from rising sea levels, new study shows

Highways, homes, airports and wastewater treatment plants all need protection by 2050

Protecting the homes and businesses, highways and airports, sewage treatment plants and other key parts of society that ring San Francisco Bay’s shoreline from sea level rise will be a massive challenge over the next generation. And it’s not going to come cheap, according to a new report.

The cost estimate: $110 billion by 2050.

That’s the conclusion of a new study from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the Association of Bay Area Governments and the Bay Conservation and Development Commission.

So far, only $5 billion of that money is in hand, the study notes. The projects needed include expanding thousands of acres of wetlands, building dozens if not hundreds of ...

CONTINUED

"It will cost $110 billion to protect San Francisco Bay from rising sea levels" S2 #124
I have to be a member to read the linked article.
- but -

SF has a population of 808,437.
So $110 $B is $136,065 per person. Seems to me that's an outside-the-box scale budget.

One possible option, let it wither naturally, and site a replacement city on ground sufficiently higher to be twice as high as necessary.
Another approach, draw a contour line at twice as high above high water as predictions indicate, and only maintain the portion of SF above the line.
That saves the cost of re-routing highways, power lines, BART (bay area rapid transit, the passenger rail infrastructure recently installed there) etc.

Might make sense to hold a contest, promising $reward to anyone that submits a proposal that's implemented.

Still not sure what we'll do about Florida. Celebrate, when no portion of it is above sea level?

I may have gremmies (malware / gremlins) on sear's tower, a gaming PC now about 3 years old.

temp240223b.JPG

That's the same graphic I got before.
No biggie.
Whatever link, they probably don't list the science, meaning:
a) rate of sea level rise
b) elevation of various essential assets
c) sea level disable level for each asset
d) rate prediction: when the predicted sea level rise will reach fatal altitude for each of the various assets

Don't need all that.
I get the picture.
My counterpoint, not a demand, merely an insight.
Sometimes it makes sense to do one more repair to the Edsel, to try to get just a few more miles out of it. And
sometimes it makes more sense to trade it in on a 2024 Ford Glockenspiel (whatever).

Sometimes we have to move on. These People did.

1708668233931.jpeg

BTW

If your Cheerie O's are settling just a little too comfortably, may want to bear in mind for context:
It's not that Russia / Putin might shoulda / woulda / coulda someday / somehow maybe ...
It's already happened. Putin has threatened nuclear war (context: his defeat in Ukraine).
Russia reportedly (ostensibly U.S. military intelligence) has nuclear torpedoes it can launch from submarines we can't defend against.
Those nuclear torpedoes detonate under water, off shore, causing a nuclear radioactive wave that can wash over m/any of our coastal cities
contaminating them with radio activity, reportedly forcing us to abandon those cities, as nuclear decontamination would reportedly be impossible.

Thus I'm not casually dismissing the relevance of the alarm sensibly raised in #124.
Instead I'm joining the chorus of scientists sounding the anthropogenic global warming alarm.

It's bad.
It's real bad.
Drive a Prius?

AccuWeather is "sounding alarm bells for a supercharged season in 2024 with a risk for many storms," he added. The combination of building La Niña and historically warm water will lay the groundwork for a blockbuster season, AccuWeather said.

"Bomb Cyclone To Dump More Water Than in Lake Mead on California" #128

Glitter for the innumerate.
Double the surface area, halve the depth (for a rectangular prism) *.
California is big. Not sure Lake Mead could cover California an inch deep.

note:
It was overcast & foggy here this AM. Shortly before 4PM the sun peeks out.
I strolled to the mail box in 39 Fahrenheit Feb. glory.
Certainly there's a difference between weather and climate. But no matter how you slice it
it's been a mild Winter here. No complaints.

Insurance? 🩲

* In two dimensions it's a "square". In three dimensions it's a "cube".
In two dimensions it's a "rectangle". In three dimensions it's a "rectangular prism", near as I can tell.

From the pulpit religious snake oil salesman get away with saying -
god protects us. god is looking out for YOU. [left unsaid: so put big $cash in the collection plate]

The many god did not protect are gone. BUT ! They're also not in attendance. So the message only goes to those that might believe it.
"God"is portrayed as omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and short of cash." Crane
"Scientists warn that a crucial ocean current could collapse, altering global weather" #132
There have been cataclysmic environmental changes in Earth's past. Don't believe me? Ask the next dinosaur you meet.
Plants, green leafy life forms may seem fairly innocuous. But before their proliferation aerobic life-forms had no niche on Earth.
The photo-synthesizers help provide the O2 humans need, essential to us, BUT
a disaster for now marginalized anaerobes.

note:
I'm all rah - rah for sci-fi fantasies (Star Trek for example) of numerous humanoid cultures scattered across the galaxy, whom we can visit without relativistic time displacement penalty.
But it would seem sad if Earth is the only locus of sentience in the omniverse, and we proved ourselves merely clever enough to exterminate ourselves.

Climate perils are already causing the United States annual economic losses of US$97 billion (S$131 billion), or 0.4 per cent of its annual economic output, according to a study published on Feb 28 by the reinsurance giant Swiss Re.

The actual Swiss Re report is here and discusses more than just the US

Massive wildfires in Texas caused operations at the nation's primary nuclear weapons facility to be paused earlier this week, another reminder that the United States is covered in highly sensitive locations that house nuclear weapons, waste and energy reactors.

The U.S. has more than 3,700 nuclear warheads stockpiled around the country and 54 nuclear power plants in 28 states. And while nuclear energy facilities and weapons sites have always been built with potential natural disasters in mind — whether it was earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes or floods — those disasters stress their support systems and create new worries for safety experts.

As of Wednesday evening, the Pantex nuclear weapons plant near Amarillo was not ...

"Plants, green leafy life forms may seem fairly innocuous. But before their proliferation aerobic life-forms had no niche on Earth." s #133
No.
"The photo-synthesizers help provide the O2 humans need, essential to us, BUT
a disaster for now marginalized anaerobes." s #133
Yes.
No wonder I got it wrong. I like to keep an agile mind as long into the daily cycle as possible. But I made that slip at 8 minutes past noon. What am I? Superman?!
Climate perils are already causing the United States annual economic losses of US$97 billion (S$131 billion), or 0.4 per cent of its annual economic output, according to a study published on Feb 28 by the reinsurance giant Swiss Re.
It's surely made an impression on the energy sector. In 2016 candidate Trump promised West Virginia's coal miners he [Trump] would bring their jobs back.
Trump lost the vote, won the election, and the coal is mostly where it was 8 years ago.

Conversely renewable energy is reportedly the fastest growing energy sector.

Rural electrification transformed / helped modernize the U.S.
It helped us trade in the ice box for a refrigerator.
Rendering the U.S. power grid obsolete is not in our foreseeable future. But decentralization has already begun. Energy storage remains the obstacle. Battery technology is advancing. But the spontaneous combustion issue with Li Ion imposes limits.
An economical electrical storage technology that approaches or exceeds the energy density of gasoline, diesel, or JP4 would revolutionize home generated electricity.
"Another insurance company pulling out" #138
This has me wondering if our policy makers are addressing the symptom, re-writing insurance law, or addressing the underlying issue, the policies that promote / enable global warming.
Thermometers don't vote. Insurance policy holders do.

This isn't about climate change but it is directly related to the environment so rather than start a new thread ...

EPA awards $1 billion to clean up toxic waste in third cash infusion for Superfund program

It's the last installment in the $3.5 billion allocated under the 2021 infrastructure law signed by President Biden.

ATTHEW DALY Associated Press

Twenty-five toxic waste sites in 15 states are to be cleaned up, and ongoing work at dozens of others will get a funding boost, as the Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday announced a $1 billion infusion to the federal Superfund program.

The money is the third and last installment in the $3.5 billion allocated under the 2021 infrastructure law signed by President Joe Biden. It will help clear a backlog of hazardous sites such as old landfills, mines and manufacturing facilities targeted by the 44-year-old Superfund program.

Long-contaminated sites slated for cleanup include a former smelting plant in East Helena, Montana; an old textile mill in Greenville, South Carolina, and a New Jersey beach area blighted by lead battery casings and other toxic material used to build a seawall and jetty nearly 60 years ago.

The Raritan Bay Superfund site in Old Bridge, New Jersey, is one of three ...

CONTINUED

We -clean up- polluted / contaminated sites to contain, mitigate the toxic peril they present to planet Earth.
Just wondering: what planet do they move the contamination to?

When it's a wildfire, we snuff out the fire.
When it's a neurotoxic heavy metal we move it from point A to point B, to the delight of those residing at point A.

And for those without enough to worry about, some of the most lethal toxic waste on the planet is in the form of commercial nuclear power plant radioactive waste.
According to the reading I've done on this topic, none of it, zero % has actually been permanently disposed of.
Much of it languishes in temporary storage on site at nuclear power facilities.
This temporarily stored material is ideal for conventional explosives creating a "dirty bomb" mess. Fukushima tells the story. *

Ahhh, the reassuring sense of security we get sitting on a powder-keg. Why worry about a nuclear waste disaster when Trump is fast careening back to the white house?
"... and a New Jersey beach area blighted by lead battery casings and other toxic material used to build a seawall and jetty nearly 60 years ago." #139
"Whut wur you thuankin' ?!" Dr. Phil [seems like a 12 VDC idea in a 120 VAC world. Death to the dim bulbs!]

* The contamination is nuclear, but the 'splosions that spread it were chemical (not nuclear), waste Hydrogen exploding.

Back