What to call this thread?

Either way Williams seemed to me to be addressing the issue of "detransitioners". Reversing the reversal.

As is the case with any procedure there will always be a small number of people who regret their decision. But in reality, the number of "detransitioners" is actually very small. Recent studies put the numbers at well under 1% and one longitudinal study was unable to find anyone who regretted it.

In the 1950's my Mom had a pair of blue jeans. It might have seemed too butch for her to wear men's trousers.
But the zipper on her jeans was on the hip.

Much more recent than that it was pretty much the norm that women's slacks had the zipper on the side or even the back

"As is the case with any procedure there will always be a small number of people who regret their decision. But ..." S2 #441
Bottom line:
SOMEone will make the decision.

In reproductive rights it's the patient that should make the final decision.
I know of no compelling reason we should deny the patient the final decision in this case.

But in my lack of understanding about the <1% [#441] seems prudent to me treatment which results in significant change should be entered into as an informed decision.
That applies with choice as well, just as important, but perhaps substantially more obvious.

I would consider it civilized if those considering such medical treatment demonstrate at minimum a basic understanding of the issues involved in their options, risks, and consequences.
That might not make much sense out of context.
In a laissez-faire society & culture individual citizens might be more practiced at individual self-governance.
We're very far from there.
- Government school or substitute mandatory.
- Can't get a learner's permit until 16.
- Can't drink until 18, or 21.
- What other drugs / herbs / fungi are permissible,
- etc
Thus in context of this deeply entrenched government parentalization, it seems cruel, perhaps even treacherous to toss patients to the wolves on this issue.

You tell me which is potentially more consequential:
- converting genitalia from one sex to the other, or
- enjoying half a glass of wine at the Thanksgiving banquet.

I'm not Christian.
I'm surely not Catholic. BUT !!
A decade or two ago I learned of a premarital training program run by the Catholic Church. By the name of it I assumed it was horrid.
But I believe it's fabulous, just basic tools for understanding one's betrothed, for example:
- The next paycheck is 5 days away. Once rent and utilities bills are paid there won't be much left.
The baby has outgrown his clothes.
What do you spend the remainder of the paycheck on?
Some clothes the baby can actually wear, buy some food so the kitchen cupboards aren't bare, & save a $little for emergency?
Or buy the flat panel TV now that the 40% discount is available.

It's horrifying how few couples are on the same page about such decisions. Best that they know before it's too late.
The Catholic Church are the people who told Henry VIII when he wanted to get a divorce you can’t divorce her but if you'd like to cut off her head we’re OK with that. Bill Maher

But in my lack of understanding about the <1% [#441] seems prudent to me treatment which results in significant change should be entered into as an informed decision.
It is - this sort of decision isn't made in a vacuum - the individual is being monitored by a team of doctors and psychologists. And in most cases has lived as their correct gender for years before deciding to proceed.

- the individual is being monitored by a team of doctors and psychologists.
Not clear to me what if any role they play in "detransitioners".

One of two things is true.
a) Everything is fine. No need to change a thing. Or
b) while enormous improvements have been made making possible what a few generations ago was impossible,
there's still room for further improvement.

If "a" then why this thread?
And therefore since evidently "b", what further improvement?

There may be multiple objectives. But it seems to me I'd support reducing the detransitioner population, among the broader transitioned population.

And in most cases has lived as their correct gender for years before deciding to proceed.
Is there room for improvement?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man tries to adapt the world to himself. Thus progress depends upon the unreasonable. George Bernard Shaw
Perhaps unrealistic in the short term, but perhaps synergistically beneficial long-term,
rather than adapting the individual to the binary culture,
I suspect the more enlightened approach would be to update the culture to a new & improved multi-nary society, nation, world.

Back