What to call this thread?

You actually think that "the team" refused? Much more likely the coaching staff decided that they wouldn't play against that team.

And, surprise, it's a "Christian" school (I use the term loosely because Jesus' teachings did not include bigotry).

And we can always tell??

7JncIye.jpeg

You actually think that "the team" refused?
I tried to preserve the objective presentation. Mine was not an endorsement, merely a report, as follows:

PPS
I hadn't sought this example. But as I glanced the headlines I encountered this:

Girls high school basketball team forfeits tournament rather than play against transgender player

"You actually think that "the team" refused?" S2
As a statistician you know attributing a single monolithic position to an entire sport team is problematic. There may be no two in that group that share precisely the same perspective on it.

The implication of course is that the headline is not inconsistent with either majority, or plurality sentiment within that team. But it's a report of the outcome. It's not presented as a democratic result.
Jesus' teachings did not include bigotry.
I don't know enough about it to know for certain, but I appreciate the sentiment, and trust your perspective on it more than my own.
And we can always tell??
Not sure who asserts we can always tell.

The practical complication is when for example on the telephone, low fidelity audio plus ambiguous vocal register make it difficult to identify sex.
That's not a sabotage of harsh, punitive, disparaging moral judgement.
Instead, as a result of the way English is traditionally spoken, making "sir" and "m'am" distinction is the accepted standard. Thus failing to do so may be misinterpreted.
In that circumstance what is a person to do? Guess? That's a 50:50 gamble. Omit? That may be misinterpreted as gratuitous rudeness.

It's not a cosmos-ending cataclysm.
But it's a potential problem when it arises.

I haven't seen ... All At Once BUT !! I enjoyed her in the low budget A Fish Called Wanda, where she played well with John Cleese, and Kevin Kline, Mike Palin, etc. Didn't mean to douse your #28 & #29. rah rah JLC

From the article:

The insidious bill attempts to discriminate against LGBTQ+ Tennesseans by defining “sex” as a person’s “immutable biological sex as determined by anatomy and genetics existing at the time of birth and evidence of a person’s biological sex” throughout state code.
That statement alone proves that the Tennessee legislature is truly ignorant about genetics (and biology). To start with, genetics is far more complicated than the stuff we all learned in grade school (much of which was wrong in any case). There are XX men and XY women. Fact is a disproportionate percentage of female models are actually XY. And an XY woman can mature normally, experience menses, become pregnant and give birth to healthy children.

The point is, the bill makes reference to "immutable biological sex as determined by anatomy and genetics existing at the time of birth". The two don't always agree - besides, how often are newborns subject to DNA testing.

And then there's the little matter of intersex children. And better yet there are the "Guevedoces" - children who are born looking like girls - no visible penis or testes and having what appears to be a vagina. It is only as they approach puberty that they begin to grow a penis.

BTW, the article turned up on my FB feed and was pretty heavily commented. Most are like this:

don’t forget the lt governor who was just busted being wildly inappropriate with a 20 year old boy. Who was 17 when the comments started. The dude is 80. Like it’s always them. Always.

And

Heroes do the hard work. Thank you Sen Cavanaugh.

9Vdv8Hc.jpeg

S2 #33
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
writes John Emerich Edward Dalbert-Acton, 53, April 5 to Cambridge University professor Mandell Creighton. Lord Acton is a liberal Roman Catholic and a leader of the opposition to the papal dogma of infallibility
Source: The People's Chronology is licensed from Henry Holt and Company, Inc. Copyright © 1995, 1996 by James Trager. All rights reserved. (aka Bookshelf '98)

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that power is a magnet to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted." Frank Herbert

Thus:
Does Christianity "cause" pedophilia, or merely attract pedophiles?
I understand. I do NOT leave my grandchildren in Catholic daycare. But I'm enough of a student of Cause-&-Affect to know, aiming an indignant accusatory finger at Rome simply isn't constructive.

S2 #34

Guns ?!

- That's a problem neither you nor I will see solved in our lifetime. "Only the dead have seen the end of war." Plato I haven't even seen much constructive contribution to the debate since Pat Paulson.

I sincerely dislike this S2. Republicans claim to be conservative. In the abstract they advocate for smaller less intrusive, less authoritarian government. BUT !!
As soon as they find a social ill that displeases them, they lurch to authoritarian government for their own authoritarian, big-government "remedy". News Flash: genuine small-government conservatives understand this is none of the government's business.
- That's the case w/ homosexuality.
- That's the case w/ gender fluidity.
- That's the case with abortion.

I'm deeply offended by this for two glaring reasons.
They're hypocrites. They're so ashamed of their true affiliation they pretend to conservatism, to falsely advantage their hypocrisy on the merit of true conservatism which they have not earned. That's not merely theft of character. It's defamation. And as a true conservative I deeply resent it.

S2 #38
Conspicuous lunacy perhaps, but these morals-police politicians will continue with this foolishness as long as they're rewarded at the polls for it. That means indefinitely.

Back