U.S. Army recruiting goal short nearly 20,000 soldiers. Other branches down too.

Problem -
Apple have been doing it for years with their Iphones they remotely turn down the battery so the battery needs charged every day or several times per day officially its to protect the phone unofficially its so you will buy a new phone.
Solution -

Android

The broader issue of long term document storage is a major issue for government. Even simple records like deeds and birth certificates may be vulnerable.

"Incidentally in the late 1990s you could buy a copy of the magna carta on a disc - 20 years later unlike the original most of the copies cannot be read" m #40
The hardware to read it is up & running, but the medium, the disc has degraded below readability?
Your irony is noted m #40. If they'd drawn up the Magna Carta on a Commodore 64 nobody would know what it says. Shall we all revert to papyrus?

t #41
"Birth Certificates"!
Holy crud.
I don't know how they're handling that now.
I have a birth certificate of myself that's a photocopy of the actual hospital paper form. But I got a subsequent "birth certificate" and it's merely a government form that verifies my ID and birth, with an embossed seal for authenticity.

We've already got a topic on computer errors from space. https://citizenvoice.us/threads/computer-errors-from-outer-space.155/

Over a period of months, probably a rare problem. But for a government database covering human generations, ???

I haven't resolved my own puzzle. Some like the idea of writing their own epitaph. I've not been to a cemetery lately. Do grave stones list URL / links yet? It's one way for the dead to communicate with the living. Could be a video of the dead guy filling the screen, talking to the camera.
Again, I don't know. But if I compromise & write my own epitaph, I'll hope to do better than: "' told you I was sick!"

PS
skipping the grave stone entirely is a spectacular idea. I meant it metaphorically. I've already told the administrator of my estate I'd like to donate my remains for therapeutic organ transplantation. Imagine giving the gift of sight to a blind person !!
The remains after harvest I've directed as a cadaver to a med school. Not sure half a corpse will help much, better than nothing I hope.
yup, us too on the donation thing. my baby sister had a cadaver ligament installed yesterday, in her knee, and because of that donor, she'll walk again, and without pain. in my case, the rest goes to science to see if they can figure out why i never had any of the genetic nasties show up in me that have in the rest of the family. i get blood draws every 2 years to check those, and they're truly puzzled. me, i'm just grateful!

the sad thing for me about cremation is that future generations will lose access to the wealth of information that can be gleaned off tomb stones and coffin plates
that's why my sister is the family historian on both sides, and her youngest daughter is next in line for that job.

It may be too ghoulish, but for squeamish persons that think contemplating a comfortable casket is preferable to a therapeutic tissue donation OR, you may wish to research the history. Reportedly many caskets have been exhumed that had the inside padding of the casket lid clawed out by the persons buried alive in them.

- sweet dreams -

that's why my sister is the family historian on both sides, and her youngest daughter is next in line for that job.

but they wont be around in 200 years your tombstone would be

There have been cemeteries here that have been out of use for so long no one knows that they even exist until a builder pulls up a tombstone with his backhoe

Reportedly many caskets have been exhumed that had the inside padding of the casket lid clawed out by the persons buried alive in them.

that certainly happened during the 16-1700s I dont think that it was ever common but it did happen.
You still hear stories today of people waking up in mortuaries whilst awaiting burial.

Peter Kigen, 32, regained consciousness in a hospital mortuary four hours after he was pronounced dead
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13314058/dead-man-comes-back-to-life-kenya/ story from 2020

Dead Man Alive: 40-year-old Comes Back To Life After Spending 7 Hours In A Mortuary Freezer

https://www.indiatimes.com/trending...ing-7-hours-in-a-mortuary-freezer-554740.html (story from 2021)

Dead Mississippi man begins breathing in embalming room, coroner says​

https://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/28/us/dead-man-comes-back-life/index.html (story from 2014)

A Michigan woman who was declared dead by paramedics on Sunday was discovered alive hours later by a funeral home worker who was preparing to embalm her body, a lawyer for her family said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/us/michigan-woman-alive-funeral-home.html (story from 2020)

i see no reason for a tombstone, nor do i wish my family to have to spend the money for it. the paternal side of my family goes back to the 1600's, plenty of tombstones in mass. , and the maternal side goes back to the 1800's, plenty here in the midwest for them. i have no legacy, and those who loved me will have their memories. that's all i need to know.

m #46
Not an accusation, an observation:
you're cutting close to the bone on me, not out of malice I'm sure. But I seem to have a deep-seated need of permanence. If I listen to the radio I run the DVR, in case it's something I think worth archiving. I've been doing that for 40 years, back to audio cassette days.
I not only understand b #47, I'm right there with her. I intend to not have a grave stone. If I did they'd probably chisel into it: "We FINALLY got him!" Some things I'd rather not take for granite, know what I mean?
As for the links, I'd snail mail you a big fat stink-bomb for that, trying to give me nightmares. But you've sneaked under the wire with the Halloween exception. Lucky DUCK !
"i see no reason for a tombstone" b #47
m #46 just gave you one. I get your point. But even if not for blood kin, seems like not a bad idea to leave a trail of time-resistant bread crumbs, for anyone looking through the past.
"Space is cheaper than sort [& has been since 2006]." cryptographer Bruce Schneier
What Schneier meant was, before 2006 home computer users used to free up hard drive space by culling through the drive, and removing whatever was less valuable than the computer space it occupied.
That changed in 2006 says Schneier. And almost 2 decades after that, a megabyte is cheaper than dirt. We get it by the terabyte now.
My "free" Google e-mail gives me:

You are currently using 3334 MB (21%) of your 15360 MB

It's free for the asking. Just sign up, pick a pseud, or spell your name.

What I'm wondering is, are we careening toward the day when we'll have access to a funeral / remembrance account, and be encouraged to leave messages hoped interesting to future generations?
Today I drove my car to the local gasoline / convenience store, filled the tank for $27.oo (about 2 hours pay for an entry level worker) and spent another $6.oo for a loaf of bread and a quart of milk.

300 years from now the message may baffle them: what the $#@! is "gasoline"?!

Who started this thread anyway?

But I seem to have a deep-seated need of permanence. If I listen to the radio I run the DVR, in case it's something I think worth archiving.

pretty much all BBC output is available for at least 28 days on line, some for a year some indefinitely, The other UK TV channels likewise have every thing available for at least 28 days Music radio stations dont archive the content but you can get the playlist I used this facility not so long ago when I heard a really great track but missed the attribution, when on the website looked up the playlist and voila!

As I have said before I dont ever archive stuff for posterity I record stuff I cant see live and invariably watch it within a month if I havent watched it in a month I reckon that I wasnt really that interested in it so I delete it

m #49
That's not merely a superb multiplication of the utility of the program content. Having only a real-time, one shot opportunity to hear it, to obtain the information is far better than nothing. But in our 3rd Millennium lives (with attendant scheduling complexity) the ability to "time shift" is a magnificent technological solution to a technological problem. BUT !!

That's not the kind of "permanence" I was referring to. Asphalt roof shingles may only last 15 years. Steel roofing can last twice that long. I tend to prefer the more durable option. My home is concrete and steel tower, because I thought it would be the more long lasting. I knew it would outlast me whether build of concrete or wood. I chose concrete.

That's not the kind of "permanence" I was referring to. Asphalt roof shingles may only last 15 years. Steel roofing can last twice that long. I tend to prefer the more durable option

No one in this country uses asphalt roof tiles! and steel is very rare on other than industrial or commercial properties (some fancy modern houses have copper or zinc but they are rare. roofing material is either natural slate (older houses) or concrete tiles (modern houses) these will both easily outlast the building that they cover

But then unlike in the US where houses have "sidings" fixed onto a frame almost all houses here are either brick or concrete block

m #51
I know.
Been there.

Lesson learned. Turns out a simple modest split-level design (probably a gazillion blueprints available online) would probably have been all around better. At least my home is a:
- bullet resistant
- flame retardant
- passive solar
- nature observatory.

This one home-building experience alone has far advanced me toward expert status on such matters.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. Niels Bohr

Only an American would put "bullet resistant" at the top of the list of benefits (or indeed ANY WHERE on the list of benefits)!

flame retardant
whilst the concrete tower will not burn it might tend to turn any normal fire into a blast furnace

passive solar

concrete has awful thermal properties

we moved away from the internal walls of buildings being concrete maybe 50 years ago and now use an aerated concrete like material for the inner skin then 50mm polystyrene or polyurethane foam then an air gap then the outer brick skin.

Only an American would put "bullet resistant" at the top of the list of benefits (or indeed ANY WHERE on the list of benefits)!
Yeah, that gets more attention than: - water is wet ! -

I've even said it to a New York State Trooper a time or two, with about the reaction I'd have expected. Nowhere near as nefarious as I know it seems. They seemed comfortable with that once I offered them the following explanation.

Quite simple, and innocent really.
The land the tower is built on is hundreds of acres inside the Adirondack Park. It's prime deer-hunting forest, and during hunting season it's awash with poachers. Part of the problem with owning hundreds of acres of prime hunting land is, it's too much for a 70 year old man to successfully patrol. Even my next-door neighbors poach here.
- Trespassing is illegal.
- Trespassing with a deadly weapon, a deer rifle, essentially a sniper rifle, is far more dangerous still. And if they're crooked enough to break the law to hunt here in the first place (they are, I find their spent shells, coffee cups, and potato chip wrappers out there) I'm not prepared to bet my life they'll simultaneously be careful enough to not shoot in the direction of the house.
A direct shot with a 50 cal would probably penetrate the tower. Problem is, they'd have no aim. They'd have to guess at the target, and that's at best a low odds gamble for them.
The bullet resistance is mainly intended to deflect the errant shot, the missed target, from one of the more common 30 cal deer hunting guns.
Might not seem a concern at all, but every few years I read a newspaper story about a woman who finds a bullet hole in her infant's bedroom wall, etc.

It doesn't cure cancer or bring world peace. It's merely an exercise in caution. I could have picked vinyl, and risked having the home melt at the first wild fire.
Or I could go with concrete and steel, including steel roof, and find something else to fret about beside wildfire, or poachers that are also mediocre marksmen.
"concrete has awful thermal properties" m
So one might think! It's not all that spectacular in the dead of Winter. BUT !!

In the Summer, and on the fringes of the thermal bell-curve Spring and Autumn, when the days are hot but the nights are cool, there's enough thermal mass in the 3 poured slab concrete floors (basement slab well insulated w/ extruded polystyrene) to maintain a comfortable temperature inside most of the time. On summer evenings I turn on a fan, exhausting air out a top floor window, and open a screened window on the floor below.
The air filters in through the screened open window, brings fresh air, comfortable.

The concrete is 10" thick, plus 4" extruded polystyrene. So the walls are over a foot thick, and I find it comfortable. BUT !

I've learned some things. I'll add an extra chase or two in the concrete floors. I added a few before the pour. I'd add a few more, for unanticipated wiring, etc. I've drilled through the concrete. A pre-cast chase is easier.

m #46
Not an accusation, an observation:
you're cutting close to the bone on me, not out of malice I'm sure. But I seem to have a deep-seated need of permanence. If I listen to the radio I run the DVR, in case it's something I think worth archiving. I've been doing that for 40 years, back to audio cassette days.
I not only understand b #47, I'm right there with her. I intend to not have a grave stone. If I did they'd probably chisel into it: "We FINALLY got him!" Some things I'd rather not take for granite, know what I mean?
As for the links, I'd snail mail you a big fat stink-bomb for that, trying to give me nightmares. But you've sneaked under the wire with the Halloween exception. Lucky DUCK !

m #46 just gave you one. I get your point. But even if not for blood kin, seems like not a bad idea to leave a trail of time-resistant bread crumbs, for anyone looking through the past.

What Schneier meant was, before 2006 home computer users used to free up hard drive space by culling through the drive, and removing whatever was less valuable than the computer space it occupied.
That changed in 2006 says Schneier. And almost 2 decades after that, a megabyte is cheaper than dirt. We get it by the terabyte now.
My "free" Google e-mail gives me:

You are currently using 3334 MB (21%) of your 15360 MB

It's free for the asking. Just sign up, pick a pseud, or spell your name.

What I'm wondering is, are we careening toward the day when we'll have access to a funeral / remembrance account, and be encouraged to leave messages hoped interesting to future generations?
Today I drove my car to the local gasoline / convenience store, filled the tank for $27.oo (about 2 hours pay for an entry level worker) and spent another $6.oo for a loaf of bread and a quart of milk.

300 years from now the message may baffle them: what the $#@! is "gasoline"?!

Who started this thread anyway?
oh, i already have those. that started when i was around 8. everyplace i've ever lived, i've chipped my first name into a stone or brick. someday, someone will be curious enough to track them all down, lol!

oh, i already have those. that started when i was around 8. everyplace i've ever lived, i've chipped my first name into a stone or brick. someday, someone will be curious enough to track them all down, lol!
President Jimmy Carter's young daughter Amy reportedly carved her name into the wood windowsill of her white house residence bedroom. In either your case or hers, it's still probably closer to vandalism than historic archive. I'm not advocating the grave stone. But in this case I think the medium enhances the message.

What we need is some absolute rootin' tootin' epitaphs.
"Here lies b23zombie. Nowhere near as bad as it sounds."
Pantomimist Marcel Marceau's requested epitaph: "Silence"

Apple have been doing it for years with their Iphones they remotely turn down the battery so the battery needs charged every day or several times per day officially its to protect the phone unofficially its so you will buy a new phone.
They also do things like issuing a new version of something while the next one is already in the works.

When they released an earlier version of the iPad it only had one camera. Then a while later they released the iPad 2 which had two cameras. But one of the techie websites bought one of the earlier iPads and dismantled it only to discover that all of the screwholes, mounting hardware, and connections for the second camera were already there. In other words, the idea was that people would buy the older iPad and when the new one was released they'd upgrade - meant that Apple got to sell two iPads instead of one.

President Jimmy Carter's young daughter Amy reportedly carved her name into the wood windowsill of her white house residence bedroom.

A friend of mine has genuine viking runes carved on his window cill the result of the house being built with recycled stone, the cill was probably removed from a local viking long house or perhaps some passing viking just scratched a message on a convenient stone

A near neighbour of his whilst replacing an old stone tile floor ripped up one of the tiles and found a carving from the Pictish period (1200 years ago)

1666623782674.jpeg

Last edited:
Incandescent improv late night TV interview / comedian Craig Ferguson (Edinburgh) told of his experience with an archaeologist in a cave. Craig found some writing in Riddick Norwegian on the cave wall, and asked the archaeologist about what it said.
The archaeologist glanced up, admitted that he could read it, but continued with his work. Ferguson, bitten by the curiosity bug persisted: - What does it say ? -
Apparently it had been left there by tomb robbers / vandals centuries after the original artifacts were left there. Ferguson nagged until the archaeologist suspended his work, read the cave scrawl, silently translated eyes cast skyward, and then said: It says
"Ingaborg Swenson has the biggest tits in Norway." A message for the ages.

BTW
Not sure what kind of stone that is. I realize some stone is much easier to chisel than granite.
None the less, impressive artistry in #58, considering the tools most likely to have been used.

Back