Trump Gets Triggered By Looming Criminal Charges & Melts Down

Trump’s Team ‘Literally Popping Champagne’ Over Supreme Court Taking Up Immunity Claim

The former president is now highly unlikely to stand trial in the Justice Department's election interference case before November
BY ASAWIN SUEBSAENG, RYAN BORT

THE SUPREME COURT handed Donald Trump a massive victory on Wednesday by agreeing to rule on whether he is immune from prosecution for acts committed while he was president. The court will hear arguments on April 22 and won’t hand down a decision until June — which means it’s unlikely a trial in the Justice Department’s election interference case will commence before the election. If Trump wins the election, he’ll of course appoint an attorney general who will toss the case, regardless of how the Supreme Court rules this summer.

By Wednesday night, Trumpland was celebrating.

“Literally popping champagne right now,” a lawyer close to Donald Trump told Rolling Stone late on Wednesday.

Various Trump advisers and sources close to the former president and 2024 GOP frontrunner were jubilant about the Supreme Court’s decision, with all of them now viewing it as highly unlikely that a federal election interference trial will happen before Election Day. Though a Trump criminal trial in New York is expected to begin next month, the former president’s team had long viewed a Jan. 6-related trial as more politically damaging. For months, Trump’s lawyers expected ...

CONTINUED

I stand to be corrected but didn't Trump say, under oath, that he had $400 million in liquid assets?

2NilECU.png

Although not under oath Alina Habba repeated the same thing in an interview saying Trump would have no trouble securing the cash. His $100M bond offer is just another grift.

Trump’s Team ‘Literally Popping Champagne’ Over Supreme Court Taking Up Immunity Claim #381

"Disappointment is a function of expectation." psychologist Joy Browne

The risk is the 5 Republicans will tilt for Trump, and worry about the consequences (precedent) later.

Not sure it's appropriate here, but I vaguely recall a previous presidential administration where critics drew the analogy of the U.S. as a banana republic.
Ahhh, the good ol' days. [not sure Trump rises to that level of dignity, decorum]
I stand to be corrected but didn't Trump say, under oath, that he had $400 million in liquid assets?
Although not under oath Alina Habba repeated the same thing in an interview saying Trump would have no trouble securing the cash. His $100M bond offer is just another grift.
S2 #382
I don't recall that, though I may easily have missed it. I do recall during the 2016 campaign Trump declared himself "really rich".

Not sure what song & dance he'll use when he comes up short at the deadline.
BidenHarris2024 Mark Hamill
Use the force Luke!

Your criticism isn't entirely unjustified PG. But your righteous indignation overplays your hand.
The other side of that coin is the value of journalistic integrity / neutrality.

Welker might indeed have overdone it ham-handedly. But I appreciate her motive.

What you should consider PG #385:
which is the more appropriate journalistic response to the radical Republican mouthpiece, FOX News?
- An equally radicalized opposing agenda? Or
- journalistic integrity?

Agreed, Welker missed that mark in this case. But that's a criticism of her style, not her motive.

Donald Trump Suffers Two Court Losses in One Day

Story by Jon Jackson

he federal judge who oversaw former President Donald Trump's New York defamation trial on Thursday denied his request to delay the $83.3 million payment he owes E. Jean Carroll.

The decision came hours after Trump was ordered by a London judge to pay $382,000 to a company founded by former British spy Christopher Steele that the former president unsuccessfully sued over making claims that he said harmed his reputation.

In January, jurors sided with Carroll that Trump had defamed her by denying he had sexually assaulted her in the mid-1990s in a Manhattan department store. Last month, Judge Lewis Kaplan gave Trump 30 days to post bond or make the payment during his appeal.

Trump's lawyers have said his bond amount would total $91.63 million while he appeals the verdict.

In May, a separate jury also found Trump sexually abused Carroll but did not rape her as defined by state law and awarded her $5 million in damages.

"This is a continuation of a totally lawless witch hunt," Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement of Kaplan's Thursday decision. "President Trump filed a timely motion to stay the ridiculous judgment, and many courts, including the Second Circuit, recognize the importance of temporary administrative stays while ...

CONTINUED

"totally" #387
The risk of lying with superlatives is, without superlatives a single example for counter-argument may be dismissed. BUT !
With superlatives a single counter-example can disprove the assertion entirely.

And yet ... President Trump appears to be well on his way to securing the Republican presidential nomination. It would make interesting headlines if he doesn't.
That's monumentally unlikely, as Trump is already installing his own appointees & co-conspirators.

Who is new Trump-backed RNC Chairman Michael Whatley?
North Carolina GOP Chairman Michael Whatley, a close ally to former President Donald Trump, was elected to replace Ronna McDaniel ...

FOX News on MSN.com

btw:
Dr. John Gartner: The world is watching "a fundamental breakdown in Trump’s ability to use language"

Experts say Trump's decline may be "caused by his incapacity to manage the stress caused by multiple indictments" By Chauncey DeVega

Published March 7, 2024 5:45AM (EST)​

Can't believe that anyone thinks Trump is actually going to win his appeal

Chubb underwrites Trump’s $92mn bond for Carroll defamation verdict

Unfortunately the article is behind a firewall so I can't read it in its entirety. If I can find an open article I'll link it

"Unfortunately the article is behind a firewall so I can't read it in its entirety. If I can find an open article I'll link it" #389
Diminishing returns.
At some point in a conflagration, dumping yet one more gallon of gasoline on it doesn't make much difference.

A relatively coherent image has emerged, of a relatively incoherent candidate leading the 2024 U.S. presidential race.

note:
a) The United States of America is a military superpower. It's nuclear weapons ability has been measured in "planetary overkill", the fraction of its arsenal needed to exterminate the human race.
b) The president of the United States has full legal command of that arsenal.
c) The candidate leading the race has openly publicly confessed to planning / intending to operate as a dictator from day #1, if he wins (& perhaps even if not).
d) Trump's campaign platform is light on legitimate political objectives, and heavy on vengeance: "I am your retribution."
e) The U.S. has endured crises, presidential assassinations (Lincoln, Kennedy), world wars, Pearl Harbor, 9/11. This current Trump threat risks literally global peril, literally global human cataclysm. Goliath has already slain David Haley. Next !

Re #389 - if I was the Chubb underwriter who signed off on that bond I'd be feeling the back of my neck. After all, unless Evan personally okayed it I'd be very surprised if he's still employed if Trump doesn't win on appeal.

Technically isn't Trump out of jail on bail or bond?

I'm ignorant of the details of such bonds. Financially, aren't they akin to an unsecured loan? Meaning, not backed by a liquidateable asset of equal or greater value?
Either way, I'd want no part of it with Trump. I don't consider Trump a reasonable risk.

The asterisk is, whose $money is used. If it's a wealthy $Billionaire that can afford to gamble that Trump might be re-elected, then it's his own money at risk.
But if Chubb is a public company then it's the share-holders with skin in the game.
If I had Chubb in my portfolio I'd de-Chubb it quick.

Feels like I've seen this one before. Basically it's either incompetence, or willful risk. Is there a 3rd explanation that passes the Ockham's Razor plausibility test?

I've never cared much for Trump, not even in his Home Alone cameo. But I would be interested in knowing what ends his political career, & when.

There's an article about Chubb here

Have to say that Evan's motives may be political rather than economic or business focused - there's no way to know.

Just one question - if the bond is fully collateralized by Trump's assets why did he need a bond in the first place?

Chubb CEO defends underwriting Trump’s bond in Carroll case: ‘We don’t take sides’

BY ZACH SCHONFELD

The top executive of the major insurance company Chubb defended underwriting former President Trump’s appeal bond in E. Jean Carroll’s defamation lawsuit Wednesday.

“When Chubb provides an appeal bond it has nothing to do with the underlying merits or with favoring any of the parties in the case,” Evan Greenberg, Chubb’s chair and CEO, wrote in a letter to customers who inquired about the decision.

“As the surety, we don’t take sides, it would be wrong for us to do so and we are in no way supporting the defendant,” he continued. “We are supporting and are part of the justice system plumbing included in this case.”

In 2018, Trump appointed Greenberg to the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations, a volunteer group that advises the U.S. trade representative. Greenberg also served on the group during the Biden administration until March 2023, the company said.

Trump signed paperwork last week for one of Chubb’s divisions to underwrite his $91.63 million bond as Trump appeals the recent civil verdict against him for defaming Carroll, an advice columnist, by denying her sexual assault claims.

“I fully realize how polarizing and emotional this case and the defendant are and how easy it would be for Chubb to just say no,” Greenberg wrote. “However, we support the rule of law and our role in it. We considered this the right thing to do and we frankly left our own personal feelings aside.”

The letter was first reported by ...

CONTINUED

#398:
The Telegraph

Trump secures $3.5bn lifeline in battle to pay legal bills​

James Titcomb / Fri, March 22, 2024 at 11:07 AM EDT

donald trump

The former US president has until Monday to pay a $454m legal bill - REUTERS / Sam Wolfe

Donald Trump is due to be handed a $3.5bn (£2.8bn) payday as the Republican presidential contender faces a looming deadline to pay a huge legal bill, after his social media company passed the final obstacle to a Wall Street listing.
On Friday, shareholders in Digital World Acquisition Corp, a listed cash shell, voted to approve a merger with Trump Media & Technology Group (TMTG), the company behind Mr Trump’s social network Truth Social.
It means TMTG will join the Nasdaq exchange as early as next week. Mr Trump will own a majority of the combined company with a stake worth around $3.5bn.

Mr Trump has until Monday to pay a $454m bond to a New York civil fraud case and authorities could seize his assets if he does not pay. He must pay the bond as he seeks to appeal a ruling that he fraudulently inflated the value of his assets.
While he would not be able to sell his shares for six months, the merger of TMTG and Digital World may buttress Mr Trump’s finances.

Back