H E A D L I N E S : 2 0 2 2 & 2 0 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
faviconV2

Los Angeles Times

'Friends' star Matthew Perry dead at 54, found in hot tub at L.A. home​

In The Tonight Show Monday monologue host Jimmy Fallon reported Scott dropping out, and observed:

"... the announcement has really shaken up the race for 5th place." Fallon 23/11/13

Sandra Day O’Connor, first woman Supreme Court justice, dies at 93​

She was a pivotal figure during her 24 years on the court.

Trump's latest nickname?
MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell on Wednesday argued why the “Orange Jesus” nickname that one Republican lawmaker reportedly used to refer to Donald Trump is actually damningly emblematic of the entire GOP.
In former Rep. Liz Cheney’s (R-Wyo.) new book, she writes that she heard Rep. Mark Green (R-Tenn.) refer to Trump by the biblical burn while Green signed documents objecting to Trump’s 2020 election loss. A spokesperson for Green denies he made the comment.
“It is hard to think in the American political context of words more blasphemous than ‘Orange Jesus,’” said O’Donnell. “The Republican congressman’s use of that name for Donald Trump once again proves that Republican politicians professing their Christian faith is as empty as the rest of their political rhetoric.”

Happy December

President Biden

@POTUS
·
Putin loyalists in Moscow celebrated when Republicans voted to block Ukraine aid last week. The host of one Kremlin-run show literally said: “Well done, Republicans!" Folks, if you’re being celebrated by Russian propagandists, it might be time to rethink what you’re doing.
8:15 AM · Dec 13, 2023 #386
Unless, their deliberate intention is to achieve the objective that eluded the South in 1864.

The MAGA horde is ALREADY party to bloody insurrection.
And we're supposed to believe they're NOT trying to overthrow the Constitution? It's not that they're following Vlad Putin. They're WAAAAYYYYY ahead of him !

... before there were drugs.

Then they just ate those purple mushrooms. That said, think about whoever tried those first

47b401d20990638cace888297a04cf48a6fed41f853c0628f6c35e9a0b4d0dff_1.jpg

Joking aside, there have always been naturally occurring hallucinogens

#393 - there is a proviso that this does not look like a marriage

And he's receiving serious backlash over this

The following is lower case C, which distinguishes it from Roman Catholicism. None the less, wasn't the idea of calling that "Catholic" intended to boast broad, encompassing ... ?

cath·o·lic (kăthə-lĭk, kăthlĭk)
Share:​
adj.
1. Of broad or liberal scope; comprehensive: "The 100-odd pages of formulas and constants are surely the most catholic to be found" (Scientific American).
2. Including or concerning all humankind; universal: "what was of catholic rather than national interest" (J.A. Froude).
[Middle English catholik, universally accepted, from Old French catholique, from Latin catholicus, universal, from Greek katholikos, from katholou, in general : kat-, kata-, down, along, according to; see CATA- + holou (from neuter genitive of holos, whole; see sol- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots).]

ca·tholi·cal·ly (kə-thŏlĭk-lē) adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

sol·stice (sōlstĭs, sŏl-, sôl-)
n.
Either of two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest angular distance from the celestial equator. The summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere occurs about June 21, when the sun is at the zenith on the Tropic of Cancer; the winter solstice occurs about December 21, when the sun is at zenith on the Tropic of Capricorn. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year; the winter solstice is the shortest.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sōlstitium : sōl, sun; see sāwel- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots + -stitium, a stoppage; see stā- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

sol·stitial (-stĭshəl) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

vs

e·qui·nox (ekwə-nŏks′, ĕkwə-)
n.
1. Either of two points on the celestial sphere at which the ecliptic intersects the celestial equator.
2. Either of the two times during a year when the sun crosses the celestial equator and when the length of day and night are approximately equal; the vernal equinox or the autumnal equinox.

[Middle English, fromOld Frenchequinoxe, fromMedieval Latinaequinoxium, fromLatinaequinoctium : aequi-, equi- + nox, noct-, night; see nekw-t- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

(click for a larger image)
equinox
celestial sphere showing the positions of the autumnal and vernal equinoxes

Christmas provides a distraction, a brief pause from our media interconnected experience. Gift giving broadens our view beyond the egocentric. BUT !
Then after 24 hours, it's over for another year, and back to the grind. So a quick check of FOX News eases the resumption of the familiar news cycle.
Thank goodness the guardians of journalistic integrity maintain a finger on the pulse of humanity December 26, 2023.

1703599139069.png

Teen's death in sawmill highlights "21st century problem" across U.S.

Story by Kate Gibson

Like most workplace accidents, the tragedy that took place at a Wisconsin sawmill in June didn't have to happen. In fact, Michael Schuls, a high school student who had turned 16 just weeks before his death, should never have been trying to unjam a stick stacker machine at ....

I'd like to review the statistical progression per capita for such workers.
There have been some equipment improvements. For 100% human safety? Let the robots do the work.

Late in the previous millennium I reviewed some work-place safety stats indicating farm work is about the most dangerous in the U.S., rivaled only by deep sea fishing.
Motorization is a great big danger. This Winter people-muncher is diesel powered. I like the idea of wearing a long fashionable Winter scarf. BUT !

f87353d24e876bab1cef999e719e1cb3b624baf.JPG

I wear a neck gator instead, when I run this machine. AND
With suspenders-&-a-belt safety redundancy in mind I resolved to stay 10' from this deadly machine. But a few years into operating it, while standing about 10' from it, I slipped on the ice under the fresh snow, and fell
too close to the machine for comfort.

I still use the machine, but the 10' margin is no longer enough.
"270 prominent scientists say within 40 years robots will be doing most of the jobs we do not want to do. Especially illegal robots from Mexico." Jay Leno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back