H E A D L I N E S : 2 0 2 2 & 2 0 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pseudo-cons pretend to fiscal conservatism by vague advocacy for a balanced federal budget.
BUT !!
Pseudo-cons like Cruz tend to be short on detail about what spending they want to cut.

Cruz has plunged into the abyss, for abolishing the IRS would result in a major loss for U.S. federal revenue.

"Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die. ... People want the public services. We can't have the public services without some level of taxation." United States House of Representatives Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank​

DOJ identifies Pete Schwartz as the worst Jan. 6 attacker prosecuted to date — and asks for 24 year

Sarah K. Burns

CBS News reporter Scott MacFarlane reported Monday evening that the Justice Department is asking for the worst sentence yet of a Jan. 6 defendant.

Citing the sentencing memo, MacFarlane said that Pete Schwartz "stole chemical munitions, including pepper spray.. left behind by the fleeing officers and used that pepper spray as a weapon to attack those same officers as they desperately tried to escape"

He then assaulted a group of police officers in Washington. Then "Schwartz did not back down. He then joined the larger mob inside of the tunnel in attempting to push through the police line and into the Capitol Building..."

"By Schwartz’s own admission, he viewed himself as being at 'war' that day, stating in a Facebook post on Jan. 7, 2021, 'What happened yesterday was the opening of ....

Remember that Norfolk Southern derailment in Ohio?

Norfolk Southern expects February's fiery Ohio derailment to cost it $387 million, but that total will likely increase over time and that doesn't reflect how much the railroad's insurance companies will eventually cover. The railroad provided a detailed estimate of the cost of Feb. 3 derailment outside East Palestine, Ohio, Wednesday along with first-quarter earnings.

The DeSantis/Disney feud is becoming worth it's own thread - especially since we get to watch DeSantis melt down

Florida paper ridicules “punchline” Ron DeSantis for his “thermonuclear war on a cartoon mouse”

The paper mocked DeSantis's latest threat to build a prison next to Disney parks: "The wheels have come off."
By Molly Sprayregen

It has been just under two weeks since the Orlando Sentinel editorial board skewered Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) for his “foolish” and “petty” vendetta against Disney, and now the paper has come for him again.

In another epic takedown of the anti-LGBTQ+ governor, columnist Scott Maxwell ruthlessly mocked DeSantis for becoming “a punchline” as his attempts to take down Disney continue to backfire.

Maxwell wrote that DeSantis’s efforts to show brute strength by punishing Disney for speaking out against Florida’s Don’t Say Gay law has actually made him look quite weak.

In Maxwell’s words: “The wheels have come off.”

“Donald Trump is pounding on him like a bass drum,” he wrote. “Donors are running away. And most mainstream Americans are either confused by or put off by his constant culture-warring.”

“See, DeSantis was billed as a less chaotic version of Donald Trump,” Maxwell continued. “Instead, he declared thermonuclear war on a cartoon mouse.”

The op-ed was spurred by DeSantis’s most recent “press tantrum,” as Maxwell called it, during which he floated ...

"February's fiery Ohio derailment to cost it $387 million " S2 #244
Half the FOX settlement?

S2 #245
Perhaps I am a victim of Disney, I'd like to see a happy ending in this case. I gather DeSantis is being out maneuvered on this. Among a rational electorate I'd think DeSantis was perceived as looking bad.
But the axiom is, -no publicity is bad publicity-. I think Trump might have proved that. Kudos Disney

Have to admit that I haven't given much thought to the implications of the 14th Amendment as it applies to the debt limit - simply put, is the debt limit constitutional?

Letters from an American

May 2, 2023
HEATHER COX RICHARDSON

The end of the semester is always rough and I’ve had too many long nights, so tonight I am going to offer just one explanation about the debt clause in the Fourteenth Amendment:

The debt ceiling crisis continues to dominate the news, with some speculation now that White House officials are wondering whether the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution might require the government to continue to pay its bills whether Congress actually raises the debt ceiling or not.

The fourth section of the Fourteenth Amendment reads: “The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.”

This statement was a response to a very specific threat.

During the Civil War, the U.S. Treasury issued .....

Is the Debt Limit Constitutional? Biden Aides Are Debating It.

As the government heads toward a possible default on its debt as soon as next month, officials are entertaining a legal theory that previous administrations ruled out.

S2 #247

Biden gets a gold star if he can dump this dangerous U.S. federal $limit. For rhetorical simplicity I concede it was conceived & implemented with the best of intentions, to restrain run-away congressional spending.
a) We're at $31 $Trillion +
b) Therefore it's not working.
Since 1960, Congress has acted 78 separate times to permanently raise, temporarily extend, or revise the definition of the debt limit – 49 times under Republican presidents and 29 times under Democratic presidents.

https://home.treasury.gov/policy-is...al-institutions-and-fiscal-service/debt-limit
The detriment at risk is not merely a potential U.S. economic disaster, but potentially a global downturn.

Reportedly no other nation has such a ridiculous, ineffectual contraption.

I'm all for fiscal responsibility, balanced budgets, etc.
This debt limit is not accomplishing that. Instead it's a crisis to be averted, partisan politicians playing chicken with the global economy. Bad idea. Fix this Joe.

ref:
United States Constitution:
ARTICLE #14: Ratified July 9, 1868

SECTION 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

SECTION 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, [see amendment 26] and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

SECTION 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

SECTION 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

SECTION 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Just an observation - that $31 Trillion is seriously understated since, by definition, it doesn't include the funding shortfalls for Social Security and Medicare. Combined those add another $140 Trillion or so to the picture.

Note that article is from 2009 and the shortfall has grown every year since then.

Brief word I heard reported on sentencing: this Summer.
Not sure what happens 'til then.

Why the %$#@ is Trump still scurrying about loose? You have to "fight like Hell, or you won't have a country anymore". ?! Why the devil is this traitor allowed to see the light of day?

Le Show
Vogue magazine describes Le Show as "wildly clever,
iconoclastic stew of talk, music, political commentary,
readings of inadvertently funny public documents or
trade magazines and scripted skits."

Not sure what happened. I suspect this show is broadcast live, one hour per week. Today, part way through the broadcast, the usually linguistically competent Shearer suddenly mid-paragraph became incapable of completing a simple sentence.
Shearer seems to have known something was wrong, but also knew he was unable to overcome it.
I suspect he had a stroke on air, or some similar medical emergency. It may not have been terminal, even if fatal to his broadcast career. Not sure.

Harry !? Wassup bud'?

Prosecutors seek 25-year prison sentence for Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes​

Think they'll get it, or close to it?

& why the %$#@ is Trump still loose? RHIP ?
Seems to me the greater the rank, the deeper the public trust. Thus isn't Trump's collusion w/ Jan. 6 the greatest of all?

Go get her, Dylan.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Posts Something So Out of Bounds and Slanderous She DELETES It Herself…and FAST
ANDREA JEFFERSON

Dylan Mulvaney is one of the most prominent and eloquent trans voices in America. In a show of unity, Anheuser-Busch sent her a novelty 6-pack with her face on it and she made a video about it. This infuriated everyone on the right and they went insane. Kid Rock started it all by shooting up a bunch of beer, that he already purchased and spent the money on, because apparently that’s how you show MAGA toughness.

Dylan is not only big inside the LGBTQ community but one of the few that has busted out. Her voice has become powerful among the population open to not instinctively hate all things transexual.

You will note that the description above excludes Marjorie Taylor Greene who, if one judged her priorities by the time she spends on various issues, Marj believes she was sent to Congress to ensure that anyone wanting a gun to intimidate transsexuals has access.

Oh, and maybe she believes her job is to exert a certain influence on the cis-gendered Speaker of the House, by whatever means.

But even Marjorie recognized – very quickly – that her hatred went way too far this time, so far that, by all rights, she should be sued to the point that she spends the rest of her life in debt.

Based on absolutely nothing, Marjorie called Dylan a “pedophile.” Wait, no – MTG didn’t. What she actually said was:

“I’d like to bring up one of the biggest pedophiles in America today, His name is Dylan Mulvaney, and I won’t be referring… to him as a she or her.”

For reasons passing understanding, Marj then played part of a video showing Mulvaney in a bubble bath with a swimsuit on, laughing with a can of ...

"Marjorie Taylor Greene" S2 #257
We can puzzle over this in layman's terms. But in the quasi-science of psychology I gather MTG's dysfunction is known as "psychosis".

psy·cho·sis (sī-kōsĭs)
Share:​
n. pl. psy·cho·ses(-sēz)
An acute or chronic mental state marked by loss of contact with reality, disorganized speech and behavior, and often hallucinations or delusions, seen in certain mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, and other medical disorders.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

"Jewish space lasers"?

I've wondered this about MTG, & Trump as well. Are they genuinely psychotic? Or are they merely accomplished socio-political saboteurs, propagandists?

Law enforcement voices pushing for an assault weapons ban

The Police Executive Research Forum (PERF), a prominent law enforcement think tank, is calling for a ban on assault weapons as part of a comprehensive approach to counter gun violence. Join Washington Post Live for a conversation with PERF executive director Chuck Wexler and Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore about why they are pushing for an assault weapons ban.

Continued here

Thoughts and prayers Ted. Thoughts and prayers.

Ted Cruz Tapes To Be Handed Over to Jack Smith's DOJ Probe

BY GIULIA CARBONARO

Alawyer for Fox News whistleblower Abby Grossberg—the former producer on Tucker Carlson Tonight who's suing the host and other executives at the network—has confirmed that the DOJ's Special Counsel Jack Smith has requested access to some of the recordings in her possession.

The lawyer confirmed Smith's request on MSNBC on Tuesday, saying that he had "been contacted by several law enforcement authorities." When asked by news anchor Ari Melber if the DOJ was "one of those entities," the lawyer replied "yes." He then confirmed, after being prompted by Melber, that it was the special counsel—Jack Smith—who got in touch.

While the lawyer didn't specify exactly which tapes Smith asked for—Grossberg said she has about 90 unaired recordings from inside Fox News—MSNBC aired a part of the Ted Cruz tapes where the Texas senator discusses overthrowing the election with Fox's Maria Bartiromo.

Ted Cruz

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) speaks during a Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation hearing to examine advancing next-generation aviation technologies, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, on March 29, 2023.STEFANI REYNOLDS/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
>
The tapes contain evidence of the Republican senator discussing blocking the certification of the 2020 election with Fox News's Bartiromo, who joined the network in 2013 and became an advocate for Donald Trump during his presidency, often giving him unchallenged interviews. Bartiromo's coverage of the 2020 election, together with Carlson's, was a focus of the defamation lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting System against Fox, which the network settled for $787.5 million.

In the tape dated January 2, 2021, which Melber played on MSNBC, Cruz can be heard saying: "I think that the country deserves to have a credible assessment of these claims and what the evidence shows and the mechanism to try to force that is denying certification on the sixth."

The tape well precedes the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, and exposes Cruz's apparent plot to overthrow the 2020 election's result by blocking the certification of Joe Biden's victory on January 6 and establishing a commission to investigate alleged claims of fraud.

"As we were looking at this Jan. 6 certification, all of the options that were being discussed were problematic," Cruz said. "And so I wanted to find a path that was consistent with the Constitution and the law, and that addresses these very real serious claims."

Melber said that Bartiromo then asked Cruz who would decide who gets inaugurated, and Cruz answered "that this fake, made up, so-called commission that he and his Trump buddies were planning to try to create to bureaucratize a coup—and that's what they were trying to do—that was his answer, that's how they would steal this race."

Cruz responded to the airing of the tape on national television by tweeting that there's nothing secret about the tape. "This @msnbc is breathlessly reporting that I 'secretly' said ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back