Election 2024

P1
I have wondered whether either the Democrats, or Democrat sympathizers have in mind, if Trump wins the vote, to after election day simply declare Trump ineligible to serve.
Whether that would mean President Vance would be inaugurated, or what ... not sure.
On that topic, if a convicted felon can't join the armed forces how can they serve as Commander in Chief?
- Amen -

meanwhile ...

P2
Sept. 13, 2024, 4:00 AM GMT-5
By Jonathan Allen, Julie Tsirkin and Vaughn Hillyard
No one can keep former President Donald Trump away from Laura Loomer.
Throughout his third presidential campaign, aides and advisers have done their best to shield him from Loomer, a far-right social media influencer, and similar figures who stroke his ego and stoke his basest political instincts.

They lost that battle this week, as Loomer traveled on Trump’s jet to his debate with Vice President Kamala Harris on Tuesday and to Sept. 11 memorial services Wednesday. Her presence at the latter infuriated some Democrats and Republicans because one of the many conspiracy theories she has promoted is the false notion that the terrorist assault on the U.S. was an “inside job.” It wasn’t.
Loomer’s return to Trump’s side is pitting key figures in his coalition against one another, testing the strength of a campaign already reeling from his subpar debate performance Tuesday and Democrats’ resurgence in the wake of their July candidate switch. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., major Trump allies in Congress who represent opposite ends of the Republican ideological spectrum, are publicly pressing him to ditch her. Loomer fired back Thursday with a string of invective about Graham.
Moreover, her presence reflects Trump’s loss of faith in his campaign aides and their concomitant fear of upsetting him in a time of crisis, according to people familiar with the situation. Last month, he tapped his 2016 campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, to be an adviser to his top advisers — a move widely viewed as a rebuke of the existing leadership crew.
- more at -

Trump seldom impresses me as seeking stability and avoiding controversy.
But rumor of discord between Trump & Vance suggest the Trump campaign may be in crisis.

Wondered how long it would take for the Church to weigh in on the election. I'm sure this one was approved by the Vatican's lawyers so there was no risk of it endangering the Church's tax free status (as if that would ever happen) but the tone of his statements make his wishes clear

Pope criticizes Harris and Trump, tells US Catholics to choose 'lesser evil'

by Joshua McElwee

Pope Francis on Friday criticized both former U.S. President Donald Trump over his plan to deport millions of immigrants and Vice President Kamala Harris over her stance supporting abortion rights.

Asked about the U.S. presidential election on his flight back to Rome from Singapore, the pope said not welcoming migrants is a "grave" sin, and likened having an abortion to an "assassination".

He said U.S. Catholics would have to "choose the lesser evil" when they vote in November, without elaborating.

Francis was speaking in a press conference with journalists after a demanding 12-day tour across Southeast Asia and Oceania. Although the pope did not use Trump and Harris' names, he referred specifically to their policies and their genders. Despite criticizing both candidates, he said Catholics should vote.

"Not voting is ugly," the 87-year-old pontiff said. "It is not good. You must vote."

"You must choose the lesser evil," he said. "Who is the lesser evil? That lady, or that gentleman? I don't know. Everyone, in conscience, (has to) think and do this."

American Catholics, numbering roughly 52 million nationwide, are often seen as crucial swing voters. In some battleground states, including Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, more than 20% of adults are Catholic.

Francis, leader of about 1.4 billion Catholics globally, is usually careful about weighing in on national political elections. But he frequently criticizes abortion, which is forbidden by Catholic teaching, in sharp terms. He has also previously criticized Trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric. During the 2016 election, he said Trump was "not Christian" in his views.

On Friday, Francis said both candidates' policies are "against life".

"Whether it is the one who is chasing away migrants, or the one who that kills children," said the pope. "Both are against life."

Trump has promised to crack down on illegal immigration and deport millions of immigrants already in the U.S. if elected to a second term as president. He has also refused to rule out building detention camps for undocumented immigrants.

Harris has promised to sign any legislation passed by Congress to restore national protections for abortion access, which were struck down by ....

CONTINUED

Harris has promised to sign any legislation passed by Congress to restore national protections for abortion access, which were struck down by ....

... which were struck down by ....
a deliberate, premeditated criminal conspiracy to self-righteously usurp women's healthcare rights. "The ends justify the means"?!

Numerous ironies here: to concisely minimize clutter -
- The conspirators claim to be "pro-life". They're not.
- They're not even exactly anti-choice. The "pro-lifers" are not opposed to the choice being made. They simply don't want the patient to have that choice. Instead, the "pro-lifers" want to make the choice for her. And their choice is "No!" even in cases of rape, incest, or maternal mortal jeopardy.
- To commit this premeditated criminal conspiracy Republican presidents appointed anti-choice jurists to SCOTUS. More than one of these Republican appointees perjured their oath during senate "advise & consent".
- Then the Republican stacked SCOTUS reverse Roe v. Wade with Dobbs v. Jackson when the court acquired the 5:4 ability to do so. Note: Roe was decided, became precedent, the law of the land by 7:2.

Those that think of the Republican party, the GOP as political conservatives, champions of smaller, less intrusive, less authoritarian government, trusted public servants relied upon for honesty and integrity
have not yet adjusted to the new millennium.
The U.S. has had two Republican presidents in the new millennium, both dangerous liars.

"Time is not on our side. I will not wait on events while dangers gather. I will not stand by as peril draws closer and closer. The United States of America will not permit the world's most dangerous regimes to threaten us with the world's most destructive weapons." U.S.Pres. Bush (younger) in his State of the Union speech Jan. 29, 2002
"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt, that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised." U.S.President Bush (the younger) televised address to the U.S. March 17th, 2003

"I will build a great, great wall on our Southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall, mark my words." Republican primary presidential candidate Donald J. Trump 15/06/16 www.DonaldJTrump.com
"In this journey, I will never lie to you. I will never tell you something I do not believe." Donald Trump 16/08/18

If you're a U.S. citizen eligible to vote:
- vote for integrity
- vote for honesty
- vote for prosperity
- vote Harris / Walz.

And from the let's double-down department, Trump threatens to deport victims of his libel: *

RANCHO PALOS VERDES, California, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump pledged on Friday to conduct mass deportations of Haitian immigrants from the Ohio city of Springfield, even though the majority of them are in the United States legally.
The city for days has found itself at the center of a social media maelstrom after right-wing agitators latched onto false claims that Haitian arrivals were eating household pets.

Trump pledges to deport Haitians in Ohio city if elected

* ABC moderator David Muir fact-checked, authoritatively refuted Trump's assertion during the Trump / Harris debate.

note:
As his holiness the Pope has acknowledged, not voting is not an option.
Voting for Trump, not an option.
What other option is there?

"And we see bomb threats in Springfield" #506
2 pt. bonus question:

Are the bomb-threateners stupid sincere believers? - OR -
Are they merely criminal opportunist pyrotechnicians?

I genuinely don't know the answer, but w/ virtually zero to base it on I sense some tiny fraction of the Jan 6 horde acts betrayed, as if they didn't know Trump's "stop the steal" rhetoric was hoax.

As his holiness the Pope has acknowledged, not voting is not an option.
Voting for Trump, not an option.
What other option is there?
The Pope has made it clear who he wants you to vote for. He did not say "don't vote for Trump". According to him the choice is between chasing away migrants and killing children - he couldn't have made his feelings any clearer with formally endorsing Trump.

The Pope ... did not say "don't vote for Trump". #509
- yeah -
"Voting for Trump, not an option." s #506
That was me alright. *
"What other option is there?" s #506
KamHar 2024, & 2028 !

* It's a cliché: "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel".
What U.S. president other than Trump actually physically embraced the flag to graphically indicate a patriotic inclination.
Note:
- Trump's tie nearly matches the flag
- Trump's lapel pin
- Event: Conservative Political Action Committee
- The date, Feb 29, a date which occurs fewer than 3 times per decade.
- My stars ! Not sure about the lip action.
- Perhaps Trump's just wiping his hands, didn't want to get his hankie dirty. (or he didn't have a napkin?)

AND also party to bloody insurrection, to overthrow the Constitution ?!

Feb. 29, 2020

Watch Trump Fondle an American Flag at CPAC​

By Chas Danner, staff editor at Intelligencer

b22ae3001f142a69a0b671243386797f15-29-president-trump-american-flag-cpac-20.rsquare.w400.jpg

Ugh. Photo: Tasos Katopodis / Getty Images

Who Really Won The Harris / Trump Debate ?

The Hill
Opinion

With fact-checks like these, how does truth stand a chance?​

Jonathan Turley, Opinion Contributor / Sat, September 14, 2024 at 10:30 AM EDT
https://news.yahoo.com/news/opinion-fact-checks-does-truth-143000286.html#
Opinion - With fact-checks like these, how does truth stand a chance?
“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.” That famous line from Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.) remains a virtual mantra for politicians and pundits.
Yet, judging from the presidential debate between former President Donald Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris, we have officially entered the post-truth political era.
ABC News has been widely criticized for the bias of the two moderators Linsey Davis and David Muir. Even liberal outlets acknowledged that the two journalists seemed inclined to “fact check” only Trump. In the meantime, they allowed clearly false statements from Harris go unchallenged.

Three of the unchecked claims are being widely disseminated by supporters, including some in the media. Here are three legal “facts” that are being repeated despite being clearly untrue.

“Crime is down under the Biden-Harris administration.“

One of the most notable slap downs by ABC followed Trump commenting that crime rates have drastically risen during the Biden-Harris administration. Muir immediately balked and declared: “As you know, the FBI says overall violent crime is coming down in this country.”
Harris and her allies have been repeating the claim by ABC.
But the actual statistics show that Trump was right. The Justice Department’s released survey found that, under the Biden administration, there has been a significant increase in crime. Violent crime was up 37 percent from 2020 to 2023, rape is up 42 percent, robbery is up 63 percent and stranger violence is up 61 percent. Other reports had shown startling increases such as a doubling of carjackings in D.C. in 2023.

Perhaps it's the naïvety of youth?
In generations past politicians tended to the factually accurate, the plausible, knowing a flagrant falsehood c/would be seized by their opponent, used to undermine the entire candidacy.

Fact-checking is easier said than done. And real-time or contemporaneous fact-checking, more challenging still.

The opinion expressed above by attorney, legal scholar, writer, commentator, and legal analyst Turley may not entirely scuttle the nascent Harris / Walz campaign.

But it does raise scholarly doubt about the scale of the Harris debate "win".

The usual problem with crime statistics is how do you measure them? What percentage go unreported?

I'm not saying that the FBI is wrong, only that an increase in reported crimes can mean that (i) there were more crimes or (ii) people are more willing to report those crimes [that's particularly relevant when you're considering rapes, most of which have always gone unreported]

I've wondered about what qualifies for being counted, ER admissions, etc.
"We’ve all come across the phrase “Lies, Damned Lies, & Statistics” which was popularised by Mark Twain in the nineteenth century. And ..."
https://www.dorricottmpi.com/category/statistics/
The following 3 outlets seem more a caricature of themselves than serious news conduits.
"I have every sympathy with the American who was so horrified by what he had read of the effects of smoking that he gave up reading." Lord Conesford
Well Coney,
I'm so horrified by what I've been reading, I'm afraid I'm about to start smoking !
faviconV2

The Washington Post
Vance admits to creating false claims demonizing immigrants; Harris readies for swing-state tours
1 hour ago

By Amy Gardner, Mariana Alfaro & Maeve Reston
faviconV2

NBC News
Baseless rumors about Haitian immigrants threaten to unravel Springfield, Ohio
35 minutes ago

By Corky Siemaszko & Alicia Victoria Lozano
faviconV2

CNN
JD Vance defends baseless rumor about Haitian immigrants eating pets
1 hour ago

By Kit Maher

Marine Corps University
Quantico, Virginia

To Win without Fighting

Defining China's Political Warfare

Professor Kerry Gershaneck
17 June 2020
Abstract:

The People’s Republic of China (PRC) is at war with the world. Chief among the PRC’s weapons in its fight against the United States and many of its allies and partner nations are complex, unrelenting political warfare campaigns, often waged with difficult-to-recognize strategies, tactics, techniques, and procedures.

https:/ /www.usmcu.edu/Outreach/Marine-Corps-University-Press/Expeditions-with-MCUP-digital-journal/To-Win-without-Fighting/ https://doi.org/10.36304/ExpwMCUP.2020.04 PRINTER FRIENDLY PDF

- If this is true, we have a problem.
- If this is not true, we have a problem.

Ordinarily we rely on government to shield citizens from international malice.
But since the target of this alleged "war" includes United States government, and potentially election interference, U.S. voters have additional reason, need for applying patriotic vigilance in how they, we vote.
In addition to numerous vulnerabilities that have attended previous elections there are emerging Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) risks. There remains the risk of an "October Surprise", with or without A.I.

The candidate that has held the lead for most of the 2024 presidential campaign is a convicted felon that has described January 6, 2021 rioters as "horribly and unfairly treated January 6th hostages" at a Trump outdoor rally in March, 2024
Trump has threatened pardoning these convicts if reelected.

And if Trump was willing to overthrow the Constitution to retain the presidency in 2021, is there rational reason to believe Trump wouldn't make similar attempt in 2029?

Ref:
October Surprise
US political term for a news event that could influence the outcome of an election
In the politics of the United States, an October surprise is a news event that may influence the outcome of an upcoming November election (particularly one for the presidency), whether deliberately planned or spontaneously occurring. Because the date for national elections (as well as many state and local elections) is in early November, events that take place in October have greater potential to influence the decisions of prospective voters and allow less time to take remedial action; thus, relatively last-minute news stories could either change the course of an election or reinforce the inevitable. The term "October surprise" was coined by William Casey when he served as campaign manager of Ronald Reagan's 1980 presidential campaign. However, there were October election-upending events that predated the coining of the term.
More from Wikipedia

Assassination Attempt Number Two ?
Why are the gun-crazies after Trump ?

Ryan Routh: What we know about suspect in Trump assassination attempt​

By Brad Brooks and Alexandra Ulmer / September 16, 20247:06 AM GMT-5

Sept 16 (Reuters) - A gunman attempted to assassinate Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Sunday at Trump's golf course in Palm Beach, Florida, authorities said.
CNN, Fox News and The New York Times identified the suspect as Ryan Wesley Routh, 58, of Hawaii, citing unidentified law enforcement officials. The FBI declined to comment and Reuters could not independently verify his identity.

GUN BARREL IN BUSHES
The Secret Service said its agents were accompanying Trump on the golf course, when one who was securing holes ahead of Trump spotted a gun barrel in some bushes near the property line.
Multiple agents engaged the gunman and fired at least four rounds at him. The gunman then dropped his AK-47 style rifle, two backpacks, a GoPro camera and other items and fled in a black Nissan car.
Palm Beach County sheriff Ric Bradshaw said a witness managed to take a photo of the suspected gunman's car and license plate and gave it to authorities.
Shortly after, sheriff's deputies in neighboring Martin County stopped the suspect on Interstate 95 and took him into custody.

... three accounts bearing Routh's name suggest he was an avid supporter of Ukraine in its war against Russia.
On April 21, Routh directed an X message to Elon Musk, in which he wrote: "I would like to buy a rocket from you. I wish to load it with a warhead for Putins Black sea mansion bunker to end him. Can you give me a price please."

Re #515
"According to the news, officers saw a gun barrel sticking out of some bushes and fired at the suspect. It's unclear if he ever fired back." #516
What are the crazies after Trump for ?!
a) They're his peeps.
b) So they're trying to bump off Trump so they can be the crazy one ?

I haven't read any account of Trump accusing Democrats. Not sure why not.

Since he never fired, it sounds more like a concept of an attempted assassination. #518
a) ha !
b) During the Harris / Trump debate a moderator challenged ...
Trump repeated his attacks on Harris as an extremist Marxist and a flip-flopper who had three and a half years to solve problems and didn’t. He gave few specifics about his own policies and when pushed on how he would replace the Affordable Care Act, he responded “I have a concept of a plan,”

https://kansasreflector.com/2024/09...r-agenda-nearly-flawlessly-the-other-flailed/ BOLD emphasis sear's
That's Trump-speak for: No. I have no plan.

"page 750" #519
Reminds me of horror movies where the audience is aware of the monster lurking in the shrubbery, the protagonist is not.
Thus the audience can accurately anticipate the imminent carnage, but cannot prevent it.
A vote for Trump / Vance is a vote for Project 2025.
Addle-brained, seasoned citizen sear

Back