Can a quotation brighten your day?

sear

Administrator
Staff member
"There's no off position on the genius switch." David Letterman (ret)

"To laugh often, and love much, to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to give of ones self, to leave the world a lot better, to have played and sung with exaltation, to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803 - 1882

"There never will be talking pictures." D.W. Griffith, American filmmaker whose Birth of a Nation (1915) greatly influenced cinematic technique but is controversial because of its sympathetic portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes." Oscar Wilde

Your turn. Help bring cheer to a downcast world.

snail-mail to protagonist: Animal Crossing / New Horizons:
My dear,
With apple-stuffed cheeks I take
long walks and read long books.
I take long naps in long pajamas.

This time of year is wonderful,
but far too short.

Enjoy it while it lasts! - Mom

October 2
Texas vs TCU on ABC-TV Noon / ET

If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person. If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house. If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world.
Chinese Proverb

Thanks t #3.

"Summer is gone.
Winter drawers on." pappy: a native New Yorker born & raised

"Prices have gone up for autos ... energy ... furniture, rent & medical care ...
That's terrible!
One of my favorite things is being mobile, warm, comfortable, dry & alive." Stephen Colbert 21/11/10

Addressing Trump seeking legal exemption, from page #1:
"... Presidents are not kings, and Plaintiff is not President." DC District Court 1:21-cv-02769-TSC Doc 35 Filed 11/09/21 Page 1 of 39

"The only way to find the limits of the possible is to go beyond them to the impossible." attributed to Arthur C. Clarke on PBS Nova: Universe Revealed - Big Bang by Hakeem Oluseyi / George Mason University

Art Clarke is a ding-a-ling.

It would be interesting to see that debated, but we'd need a negative, & an affirmative.

Sear, your quotes are "inspiring " I wish that I could remember some, which have in my life led me to "dream".
However one (not a quote more passage of a Film I remember)

"I have seen things you people not believe. Attack ships on fire, off the shoulder off Orion, "C" beams glittering in the Darkness of Tenhousen gate, all these moments lost, in time, like tears in the Rain, time to Die"

I wish that I could remember some
You've eloquently summarized my life's lament.
In high school I had a friend that decorated a wall in her home with quotations she liked, Voltaire etc.

I changed residence addresses too many times for that filing system to work for me. BUT !!
She was my inspiration for a computer file I've been adding to for decades. When I encounter a quotation worth remembering, I copy it to that ever growing computer file.
"now all over the world, peace is a dream." Wolf2uk
In context of today, grim if prescient.

In this late stage of the global pandemic, perhaps a lighter perspective will suit:

Dear Ugly People,
You're welcome.
Sincerely
alcohol

Dear White people,
Don't you just hate immigrants?
Sincerely
Native Americans

Dear Dr. Phil,
There's only room for one fake doctor. I was here first.
Dr. Pepper

"I have seen things you people not believe. Attack ships on fire, off the shoulder off Orion, "C" beams glittering in the Darkness of Tenhousen gate, all these moments lost, in time, like tears in the Rain, time to Die"
Worf?

What about -:
I have written the story of my life,
for a foolish people mirth,
in jesting guise but ye are wise,
and know what mirth is worth.

Perhaps I need not pretend here,
but if I must pretend I'd pretend to scholarship & wisdom.
In the case of W #9 I'd say, seems a little over my head.

The value of mirth spans nearly the entire spectrum.

In an immediate life & death emergency such as a swimmer's shark attack mid-ocean, an amusing anecdote may have limited utility. BUT !

For mature seniors enjoying life with the backdrop of their entire lives as context, an amusing anecdote may be most welcome.

"If you couldn't do comedy what would you do?" Bob Hope
"Probably what you do." Lucille Ball

The Indian on horseback was being followed by a squaw on foot. The onlooker asked why the squaw wasn't riding. The Indian said: “Squaw got no horse.”

The Indian on horseback was being followed by a squaw on foot. The onlooker asked why the squaw wasn't riding. The Indian said: “Squaw got no horse.” Sear
That, quote has made my day. Now the only problem I have is trying to "persuade" my wife to understand, and obey. As in "what mirth is worth".

Just for you W #11: "Women! Can't live with 'em, and pass the beer nuts." George Wendt in role of Norm / Cheers, a pub regular

"If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing." km

sear, you like Bob Hope jokes?

“I love the outdoors. When I'm not indoors, that's where you'll find me.” Bob Hope

“I love the outdoors, & I love fishing. Give me a rod & a reel, put me in a stream, and I'll catch cold as quickly as anybody.” Bob Hope

Where ever I wonder, where ever I stray,
the loneliness will not leave me, it will not go away.
Peace of mind is what I long for, a place to lay my head,
so all my worries will leave me, and I sleep soundly in my bed.
I will rest one day my loneliness will come to an end,
when the last words are said about me, and along the last road I will tread.

Just food for thought.

Where ever I wonder, where ever I stray,
the loneliness will not leave me, it will not go away.
Peace of mind is what I long for, a place to lay my head,
so all my worries will leave me, and I sleep soundly in my bed.
I will rest one day my loneliness will come to an end,
when the last words are said about me, and along the last road I will tread.
If I were more articulate W #13, I'd have written that myself. Thanks for posting it. Nice to know there's someone else that thinks so too. And if you didn't write it, perhaps 3 of us?

Sear, I did write the quote, many years ago when "events" that happened, were very painful. I think that there are times when "painful or up lifting" events happen they inspire and although I am no way a literate person, sometimes the "words flow".
A time again many years ago comes to mind. A very close friend, met his end by accident (he had to much to drink and fell down the stair outside the Public house he had been attending) His wife asked if I would say a few words.
I am not a Religious person at heart so began the "words" by saying :-
"So I thought I would write Jim a letter, which I know will take time to be delivered due to the postal problems at this time. Then by using this method I was able to talk and quote about our Friendship and what we did together Will not bore you with rest, accept at the end, wrote,
So my friend Jim till we meet again, keep your powder dry, and as you sail your craft across the night sky, when the Moon is full and the fleeting clouds are set as a back cloth, etc, etc..

W2 #13
Anybody that tells you:
- there there, it's alright ... -
is a first class airhole! There's not much alright about the tragedy of losing a daughter.

It may seem cold comfort, but some may believe being driven to the depth of despair by such tragedy indicates the scale of the tragedy. Certainly that's a factor. BUT !!
The level of burden an individual experiences is clearly also influenced by the destruction of the love in the relationship that is no more. President Obama for instance has remarked publicly about how very special daughters are.

I know of no magic formula. Each such tragedy is unique. But there are enough similarities among many of them to make some generalizations.

In 1969, Elisabeth Kübler-Ross described five common stages of grief, popularly referred to as DABDA. They include:

I'm not smart enough to flunk out of doctor school, so I could only guess. But perhaps such stark by insightful poetry attends one of these 5 stages, "bargaining" (#3) perhaps.
It's a painful indication that at least you're making the effort to get through it. "Disappointment is a function of expectation. Expect nothing and you can't be disappointed." psychologist Joy Browne

IF you expect to find a magic formula that once followed will set things back the way they were before the tragic loss, then you will be forever disappointed.
I guess that's what Kübler-Ross means about "Acceptance" (#5).

I don't have any magic for you. But I can tell you, your lucid poetry shows you are in the fight. And even if you feel like it hasn't helped you (probably has), feels like it's helped me, even if only helping to clarify, focus, understand the lesser sources of grief in my own life.

Excellent points Sear, and yes I do believe that when events that bring in one's mind Pain, then as I did and have done on numerous occasions turn to expression in words, which has helped. I also believe when (and in my case) I awoke one (some moons ago) morning near totally Deaf (it balanced after a few months to total deafness in right ear and around only 20% in left ear, it did not in any way "destroy me", rather opened up a new path in life, which in turn bought so much pleasure, it now occurs to me it may have been "a Planned happening".:rolleyes:(y)
However, I am in some ways guided by a quote :-
Pay close attention to whatever triggers reaction from you- your triggers reveal the spot where an ancient pain is still buried.

Turns out, the closer you look, the more you may see.

In the 19th Century at the University of Edinburgh Medical School there was an extraordinary teacher, Dr. Joseph Bell. He sought to make his medical students good doctors by using their eyes not just to see, but to observe. When Queen Victoria was in Scotland, Dr. Bell was her personal physician. His powers of observation were astonishing. It was said that he could make a diagnosis before the patient had said a word about his symptoms. He could even guess his occupation, and recent activities. He was a pioneer in using forensic pathology in criminal investigations. Dr. Bell's ability to draw insightful conclusions from the smallest observations made a deep impression on a medical student by the name of Doyle; Arthur Conan Doyle. He became a writer, and used Dr. Bell as inspiration for the greatest detective of all time, Sherlock Holmes.

And if you had not noticed, Art Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character (the one whose side-kick was named "Dr. Watson") was the inspiration for Hugh Lorie's hit show House, the one whose side-kick was known as "Dr. Wilson".

I am very much a believer, in "Observation " . I also believe some, have the power to "project their image " a sort invisible force. It can take the power of your voice, which then seems to calm "aggression" in some people, or may be it's the power of a personality .

Last edited:
That's one of the interesting things about sentience W #19.

Some very young children observe details that might escape elder observers. Problem is, many young children simply lack the background information to put their observations in complete context, meaning a full practical analysis of the implications, risks.

W #19 is right of course. And we take a metaphorical pat on the back knowing, even if we don't know exactly what to call it, we know it's there. We've seen it, witnessed it, experienced it, and even benefited from mature mental poise. Sometimes it can manifest as charisma.

Back