Anthropogenic Global Warming ... how hot is it ?

jaguar-type-01.jpg

The Jaguar Type 01 all-electric four-door luxury vehicle after it was unveiled at its world premiere event in New York City, on Oct. 6, 2026.
(Mike Segar/Reuters)

Jaguar estimates that its 118-kWh usable battery will deliver up to 400 miles of EPA range, though the figure remains subject to final certification. The company says drivers can add up to 200 miles of range in as little as 13 minutes using a 350-kW DC fast charger, depending on battery and charging conditions.
Inside, the four-seat cabin features a central spine running the length of the vehicle, a 24-inch OLED driver display and a separate seven-inch touchscreen for commonly used controls.
The car is designed, engineered and built in the U.K., with production scheduled to begin in 2027 at JLR’s Solihull operations.

As a boy I liked the XKE, looks dated to me now.
1791457124159.png
 
"Dated or not it's still one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Of course you pretty much have to be a qualified mechanic to keep it running properly." S2 #742
Perhaps I'm succumbing to geriatric hardening of the IQ.
As long as the steering wheel is on the right side, which is to say the left side, I'm OK w/ it. BUT !
To me the style of the Type 01 four-door looks right at home here:
cartoon003p.JPG
I can't take it seriously, not much better than Musk's smart truck.
 
A good friend's neighbor had one - gorgeous car but he was under the hood every few days tinkering.

The only thing that can be said about Jaguars of that vintage is that they were hand built by eccentrics and if something went wrong the solution was to remove the ashtray, turn in upside down, and bang it three times on the dash. Then put it back. No idea why but it always worked.
 
"A good friend's neighbor had one - gorgeous car but he was under the hood every few days tinkering.
The only thing that can be said about Jaguars of that vintage is that they were hand built by eccentrics and if something went wrong the solution was to remove the ashtray, turn in upside down, and bang it three times on the dash. Then put it back. No idea why but it always worked." S2 #744
I've lost count of how many points / plugs / condenser tune-ups I've done. Bleeding knuckles, not as much fun as it sounds, - but -
there is a somewhat addle-brained fondness for the era of 4 on the floor, and a 5th under the seat.
EFI & CDI to the rescue.

Modern cars are miracles of engineering. They're incredibly reliable: get in, drive, park, repeat ...
but not real exciting.
 
Dated or not it's still one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Of course you pretty much have to be a qualified mechanic to keep it running properly.

Actually the XKE was much easier to work on than modern cars.
It was just a straight 6 cylinder, and even though it had dual overhead camshafts they were chain driven so needed no maintenance.
The dual SU carbs had a variable venturi from a dashpot that pulled a 2" tapered needle out of a fuel hole, so it was self cleaning.
You never had to rebuild the carburetor from dirt or water plugging it up.
It was likely the single easiest car to work on ever because the whole hood opened up to reveal all the drive train and suspension, right out in the open.
 
I've lost count of how many points / plugs / condenser tune-ups I've done. Bleeding knuckles, not as much fun as it sounds, - but -
there is a somewhat addle-brained fondness for the era of 4 on the floor, and a 5th under the seat.
EFI & CDI to the rescue.

Modern cars are miracles of engineering. They're incredibly reliable: get in, drive, park, repeat ...
but not real exciting.

I hate modern cars.
I have one that is declaring a emissions code that claims there is something wrong with a O2 sensor heater.
But I have checked all 3 of the O2 sensors and none of the heater elements are burned out and all have the same resistance.
The O2 sensor heater is only supposed to power for the first 15 minutes or so, until the engine heats up.
And the seem to be functioning perfectly.
So I can't re-register that car.
 
"So I can't re-register that car." R5 #747
I don't know how it works in Albuquirkue, BUT

In NY we have yearly inspections, & if the check engine light is on it has to be repaired before it'll pass inspection.
For particularly gnarly problems in New York I'd take it to the dealer. BUT !
$$$

"I hate modern cars." R5 #747
I like tight cars, cars without loose / worn suspension, etc.
Tight car therefore usually means new car.
And unfortunately there aren't a lot of brand new 1985 cars around anymore. Share my misery. Go ahead. I've got more.
 
I don't know how it works in Albuquirkue, BUT

In NY we have yearly inspections, & if the check engine light is on it has to be repaired before it'll pass inspection.
For particularly gnarly problems in New York I'd take it to the dealer. BUT !
$$$


I like tight cars, cars without loose / worn suspension, etc.
Tight car therefore usually means new car.
And unfortunately there aren't a lot of brand new 1985 cars around anymore. Share my misery. Go ahead. I've got more.

I can easily replace things like suspension bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.
But when the modern car starts throwing a code from a gas cap not sealing perfectly anymore, and a new gas cap did not fix it, it is very hard to fix.
The only alternative was to pull the gas tank and seal off the pump used to pressuring the gas tank to see if it vents leaks or not.
A tiny gas tank vent is not a bad thing, but not having a gas tank vent will prevent the vehicle from running at all.
In fact, not having a gas tank vent will cause the gas tank to collapse.
 
"I can easily replace things like suspension bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc." R5 #749
Yes BUT !
You'd have to replace them all to match a new car.
Some drivers might not even notice, or care.
I notice.
I care.
I can drive the old junker, keep it in lane most of the time.
I prefer brand new.

"But when the modern car starts throwing a code from a gas cap not sealing perfectly anymore, and a new gas cap did not fix it, it is very hard to fix." R5 #749
That's the down-side.
But I've never seen a one-sided coin.

My peeve w/ modern cars is the air-bags. Here's an idea: lets put explosives in the passenger compartment, and set them on hair-trigger ...

I have a friend / neighbor involved in a collision he'd have survived splendidly, but the air-bag deployed. He's now got permanent middle-ear injury.
 
Back
Top