What to call this thread?

Your #120 brings this to mind

FqEzkybWwBo2ihP

Please pardon a little free association on Ronald Reagan (elder):
- The Dems reportedly hoped Governor Reagan (R-CA) would win the Republican primary, as many Dems. believed Reagan so radical he'd be easy to beat in the general election.
- For years after the Reagan administration "President Reagan" was a name spoken with nostalgic reverence. Then fairly rapidly that ended. Still not sure why. BUT, Reagan's agenda looks quite good in context of Trump / MTG etc.
- If the title we accord Nancy Reagan is "First Lady" what shall we title Jane Wyman? "Zeroth"?
- Governor Reagan destroyed President Carter in debate summation by looking into the TV camera and asking: "Are you better off ... (after ~4 years of the Carter administration)"? Carter drove interest rates up to preposterous high levels, and though painful Reagan brought them down; which many loyal Republicans claim was the basis for the success of the Clinton (D) administration.

BUT !
S2 #121: More Republican hypocrisy, well cited. Thank you S 2.

Straight parents give birth to, & raise gay kids.

Wahls confirms what the sensible among us already knew.

The more important if unspoken subtext here is this minority in our country finds it necessary to address this issue publicly.

That's a persuasive indication we still have work to do.

BTW, the police response is also total BS - they say they can't do anything because they didn't witness what happened. If that's the case they can't arrest a bank robber because they didn't see it happen.
The “Corpus Delicti Rule” does not mean a dead body must be produced to prove a murder took place, but it does mean that the prosecution must produce some independent evidence of a crime before being able to introduce a defendant’s confession or admission to a crime.

Multiple corroborating eye-witness accounts might have sufficed. BUT !
If the responding police dawdled, arrived after the crowd disbursed, they strangled the baby in the crib.

Multiple corroborating eye-witness accounts might have sufficed. BUT !
If the responding police dawdled, arrived after the crowd disbursed, they strangled the baby in the crib.
Wouldn't have mattered if the crowd had dispersed the individuals officiating the meet would have been easy to track down. And I'm sure that it wouldn't have been difficult to find other parents who were present to hear the whole thing.

Wouldn't have mattered if the crowd had dispersed the individuals officiating the meet would have been easy to track down. And I'm sure that it wouldn't have been difficult to find other parents who were present to hear the whole thing.
In that case one of two possible explanations may apply:
a) They're bad COPs. Or,
b) the problem is systemic.

I suspect it's both, though I think system may be over half of it, perhaps ~70%.
I don't think most COPs become COPs to be bad COPs. That suggests the bad COP explanation is less than 50% likely.
What systemic problem?
The one cited in #128 may be a substantial factor.

NYSP02.JPG
That's last year's information.
I don't know what the current manpower shortfall is. But I gather it's mostly nationwide. And if I were 40 I'd consider making $80K. SO !! Something else is going on here.
The applicants all have records?

Something else is going on here.
The applicants all have records?
That's one possibility - I know one year my local fire department's recruiting drive crashed and burned - they had something like 25 applicants that were apparently acceptable but most of them tested positive for weed.

And then the police don't exactly have a stellar reputation anymore - all you have to do is look at the "Cops Behaving Badly" thread to see why.

As for increasing salaries the Department does have to worry about their budget - and don't forget, if they increase entry level salaries they're going to have to increase them for everybody else as well.

School Board President DESTROYS Homophobic Protestors
I know I'm way out on a limb here.
The only intimidation I recall feeling about someone regarding their sexuality was from attractive heterosexual males that might be my rival. *

Ancient history, but when I made a move on a woman, she may have responded receptively, or not. In the case of not, I'm not sure why. Was she afraid I'd progress to the physical? Or that I would not?
Similar deal w/ 1st date / 3rd date.
Get too physical on date #1 with her might offend her. BUT !!
She might act offended in similar way, if no physical approach by date #3.
"Women!
Can't live with 'em, &
pass the beer nuts." George Wendt in the Cheers TV series in his role as Norm! Petersen.
* So why would a gay guy be a threat to me? Because he might make a play for me? - OR !! - Because he might not?

Homophobia is ultra-ridiculous.
Doesn't mean it isn't monstrously harmful on occasion. What a thing to get worked up about !

Homophobia is ultra-ridiculous.
Just an observation - the majority of homophobes are in denial of their own feelings and a phobia is a fear of something it follows that homophobia is not a "fear of homos" but rather a fear that ""hey are a homo.

From my FB feed:

Regarding gender. From a doctor. Very interesting and informative.

In four years of medical school, three years of residency training, and nearly 30 years in practice as a family physician I have never been asked “what is the definition of a woman?”
Seems obvious that one could just look at the genitalia. You’re either a boy or a girl, right? Well, not always. Although it’s rare, many people are born with ambiguous genitalia. The OB/GYN and the pediatrician are simply unable to determine the sex. Historically, in consultation with the family, a sex would be assigned. Turns out that often as not the child would ultimately identify with the sex they were not assigned.

So it must be the chromosomes. The 23rd pair in humans is designated XX in females and XY in males. The Y chromosome determines male characteristics, so you are either a boy or a girl, right? Well, not always.

In embryology the default setting is female. The Y chromosome normally triggers male development. Ever heard of testicular feminization syndrome, now more properly referred to as androgen insensitivity syndrome? Sometimes an XY baby is born with essentially normal female external genitalia. The body simply does not respond to androgens associated with the Y chromosome. As the child grows and enters puberty there will be normal female breast development and other feminine characteristics. Unless genetic testing has been done at some point, the abnormality is not discovered until the teenage daughter presents to the doctor with concerns that menstruation has not started.

Examination will reveal that the vagina ends in a blind pouch, no uterus, and undescended testes. They are often very feminine - cheerleaders, beauty pageant contestants, etc.
Nearly everybody is a “normal” XX or XY, has anatomy to match, and is perfectly at peace with themselves. But not everybody. Several studies have identified how the sexual diversity between men and women does not exclusively involve the genitals, but also the development of different brain areas. And just as genitals can be ambiguous, or not match what XY would predict,so can the brain in some instances develop in a different direction than the genitals. Animal studies suggest this is likely due to atypical levels of sex hormones in the womb.

One of several such structures studied in the human brain have involved an area of the limbic system known as the nucleus of the terminal stria. The volume of this area appears to be influenced by the stimulation of sex hormones during brain development, and in men the volume of this area is greater than in women. Scans of this area in transgender women (genetic/anatomic men who identify as females) resemble that of non transgender females. In this matter gender identity develops from the complex interactions between sex hormones and brain during its development; moreover, this appears to be genetically predetermined and is not influenced by hormonal stimuli during the adult phase. It is important to understand that at this point it is not known for certain what causes gender dysphoria or incongruence, just as we don’t know for certain what makes someone gay or for that matter, left handed.

Gender dysphoria often begins in childhood and can lead to severe distress, depression, and suicide. Treatment includes thorough psychological and medical evaluation and psychotherapy. Hormonal treatments in children are designed to delay puberty until decisions about desired gender characteristics can be made. The treatments are not permanent and are REVERSIBLE. Hormone treatments are not given to prepubertal children and in fact are not started until Tanner stage 2 of puberty. Sex change (gender reassignment) operations are not done on children. (Rare exception might be in the case of ambiguous genitalia where surgery may be done to make genital appearance more consistent with the genetic sex).

Unfortunately there are many people who cannot or will not understand that someone different from themselves might really be different for a real reason. I recently watched a video of a Fox News personality guffawing, in an arrogant and grotesque display of not knowing what one does not know, about how "woke liberals" were looking into the science of what makes someone a man or a woman. I hope the information provided here explains why that question is not quite as simple as it sounds.

It is also unfortunate in Texas that people with political power seem to think that trans people just want to get on the girls' track team to win a lot of medals or get in the girls' rest room to watch them pee. Governor Abbott, Lt Gov Patrick, and AG Paxton have shown profound ignorance and cruelty in decreeing treatment for these kids to be child abuse. Even right wing columnist Mona Charen called Abbott's behavior "malice masquerading as policy making". They really no different than lunchroom bullies.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Medical Association, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the Endocrine Society have expressed outrage that government is inserting itself into a matter that should be left to families, patients, and their doctors. There are well established evidence based procedures that have been in place for decades. This is not a new phenomenon and it is not a fad. Treatment saves lives. Denying treatment is cruel.

I would hope that someone will share this with a conservative friend. For most of us it seems ridiculous that a guy would think he is a woman, or a woman to think she is a man. The human brain and human body are complex and wondrous and get it “right” almost every time, but sometimes they get it different. And different should not be wrong, and different people and their families should not be attacked by their own government.

- Joe McCreight, MD

S2 #139
Joe,
Bud A !
All that's fine. BUT !!
Not one single detail you've mentioned bears on what matters here. That is determined by the personal preference of each specific individual.

Go play golf, and live by the Golden Rule. Happy Juneteenth!

Back