The House select committee on the Capitol January 6, 2021 insurrection - 10:AM Wednesday June 15, 2022

Rampage

The House select committee on the Capitol insurrection is prepared for a two hour prime time telecast on the details of the January insurrection attack on the U.S. Capitol.
"We'll bring the American people back to the reality of that violence and remind them of just how horrific it was," one aide said. ...

Analysis: When hearings had the power to change history
On Thursday and in weeks of subsequent hearings the panel is under fierce pressure to establish the depth of Trump's apparent conspiracy. Its work so far suggests it plans to prove that the attack on the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob was not simply a rally that got out of hand but was the culmination of weeks of chicanery to subvert a free election by a President who called a crowd to Washington and incited an uprising against the American experiment itself.
The committee is racing against the clock, since Republicans who are whitewashing Trump's role as they seek to win back the House in midterm elections are sure to end its investigation.

In the U.S. neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have a monopoly on truth, goodness, and the American way. A half year before the mid-term elections the Democrats are scrambling to reprise the material they made public during Trump's second impeachment.

The Republicans may have an obvious interest in minimizing public attention on the January 6 mob at the Capitol. But if they succeeded, if their Republican party preference had been allowed to subvert the vote, what then would Republicans use in defense when the Democrats used the same methods against them?

Last edited by a moderator:
R #1
CBS Late Show host Stephen Colbert broadcast an interesting observation last night, after select committee broadcast.

Colbert claimed the commercial broadcast network FOX did not broadcast any commercial during the first hour of the House broadcast. Colbert speculates the reason: FOX didn't want its pro-Trump audience to channel surf over to the select committee's broadcast during a FOX commercial break.
Envy that Niccolò Machiavelli.

Congress can answer for itself. Read these -

Mr. Awesome Mr. Awesome
Congratulations to George Floyd on two years of sobriety!

Lara Spenzak Lara Spenzak
January 6 was the darkest day in history. It must never happen again.

Troll King Troll King
Protest is a right, not a crime. It's literally the FIRST AMENDMENT.

Donald Randolph Donald Randolph
The Soviet Union used to have show trials on TV like this congressional J6 bull shirt. I just hope everyone confesses & cooperates without too much torture.

Thanks R #1,
The January 6 insurrection may be the greatest threat to the union in a century.

It seems this committee is taking care to not scoop itself, but seems to have enough material possibly qualifying as "evidence".
For reason of pure showmanship they'll not want to release the information too early, or they'll lose their audience.
Those that want to know how scripted it will be can tune in Monday.

January 6 committee unexpectedly adds new hearing for Tuesday June 28
By Annie Grayer, CNN Updated 10:05 PM ET, Mon June 27, 2022

The January 6 committee has announced a surprise extra hearing that will contain new evidence of Donald Trump’s “dereliction of duty,” California representative Adam Schiff said on Sunday.
“The final hearing will cover what the president was doing and more importantly, what he was not doing as we were being attacked,” Mr Schiff told NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday.
The latest round of the highly watched inquiry will take place at 1pm ET on Tuesday, 28 June.

Thanks for the topic bump t #5.
The committee lead us to believe the next meeting would be in July. Not clear to me why they added one so suddenly yesterday. Perhaps the bombshell witness caught them by surprise.

I realize it distracts from the enormity of the insurrection, but I apologize to Trump. When President Trump addressed the crowd near the capitol from behind the outdoor see-through Trump told the crowd to go to the capitol, and that he Trump would be there with them. He wasn't. Trump has over the past half decade earned a reputation for semantic embellishment. I noted that Trump was NOT with the insurrectionists on scene at the capitol. But white house aid Cassidy Hutchinson excuses Trump. My apology to Trump for doubting his intentions in this narrow case, despite the fact that he was apparently trying to overthrow U.S. federal government.

Back