Russia is a member of the U.N. Security Council. Why?

titan

The U.S. based United Nations is western-friendly.
During the Cold War the Soviets needed coaxing to join the U.N. Permanent Security Council membership may have helped.

The following article was written over a year ago.

The Security Council was established by the 1945 UN Charter and comprises 15 members. Ten rotating non-permanent countries are elected by the UN General Assembly to do a two-year term on the Security Council. Five members – the USSR (now Russia), Republic of China (now People’s Republic of China), the US, UK and France – have the status of permanent members and so have a veto on any vote before the Council.
There is no mechanism to remove a permanent member of the Security Council written into the UN Charter. The word “permanent” was to mean just that. But there is a process to remove a country from the United Nations. That would require a vote of the UN General Assembly based on the recommendation of the Security Council. This has never been done. And given that Russia has a veto on the Security Council, the Council cannot recommend Russia’s removal without Russia’s agreement. This simply will not happen. So no, Russia cannot be kicked out.

So the world is stuck? Forever? The following is from the same article quoted above.

"But is Russia validly there at all? This is Ukraine’s question. The UN Charter says that the USSR, not Russia, is the permanent member."

Sanctions have already isolated Russia, pressing it further toward the dark side. Might revising Russia's U.N. status instill some sanity? Or push Russia over the edge?

Alright t #1.
Sanctions have already isolated Russia, pressing it further toward the dark side. Might revising Russia's U.N. status instill some sanity? Or push Russia over the edge?
So it boils down to -is it worth the risk-?
At least I suppose the other U.N. members should consider it.

And if I may skip ahead:
what happens within NATO if / when two NATO member nations go to War with one another?

After the Cold War was Russia bound by such international agreements, treaties as nuclear agreements? By standard of international law yes.
So if Russia's UN security council membership validity is determined objectively on that basis, Russia's membership is likely to continue.
Whether Russia's security council membership should be withdrawn for its invasion, occupation, and attempted assimilation of Ukraine is a different issue. The US constitution prohibits ex post facto law. Does the UN charter?

R #3
Here's a link to the U.N. Charter: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_United_Nations

The term "ex post facto" does not appear in it.
Seems to me it wouldn't be prudent to remove Russia from the Security Council casually, without deliberate consideration of precedent & consequence. BUT !
It's not clear to me it's a substantially lesser sin to allow Russia to proceed on its global conquest, without consequence.
The world didn't fuss much when Russia claimed Crimea. Thus emboldened, Russia is now in year #2 of its attempt to conquer Ukraine. Anyone here need to be reminded of what "the domino theory" means?

Back