"quotations"

sear

Administrator
Staff member
"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creatures that cannot." Mark Twain

He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper. Edmond Burke

"The people who say 'you are what you eat' have always seemed addled to me. In my opinion you are what you think, and if you don't think; you can eat all the meat in Kansas City and still be nothing but a vegetable." Russell Baker

"Indeed, it could be argued that when Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote, 'Taxes are what we pay for civilized society,' he got it precisely backwards. Properly understood, the levels of taxation, government spending, and economic and social regulation are measures of our failure to civilize our society." Edward H. Crane, CATO Institute President

"Every gun that is made, every warship that is launched, every rocket that is fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children ..." President Dwight D. Eisenhower

"A prudent question is one half of wisdom." William James

Thanks t #4,
I haven't figured out the best way to format it. I think the likely popular preference would be one thread for quotations, and a parallel thread for discussion, listing the quotation as the intro to the post / comment.
But two threads seems kind of clumsy. Any ideas?

"The single greatest threat to our republic is a president who would put his own self-interest above the Constitution, above the national interest. We've had a situation where President Trump claimed for months that the election was stolen and then apparently set about to do everything he could to steal it himself and that ended up in an attack on the capitol. 5 people killed that day." Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) speaking on FNS Superbowl Sunday 21/02/07

that ended up in an attack on the capitol. 5 people killed that day.

certainly five people DIED that day, but KILLED?

Ashli Babbitt, an Air Force veteran, was fatally shot by a Capitol Police officer as rioters tried to breach the House chamber
Kevin D. Greeson died of a heart attack, collapsing on the sidewalk west of the Capitol on Jan. 6
Rosanne Boyland appeared to have been crushed in a stampede of fellow rioters as they surged against the police.
Benjamin Philips, the founder of a pro-Trump website called Trumparoo, died of a stroke
Officer Brian D. Sicknick of the Capitol Police, who was attacked by the mob, died on Jan. 7.

mm #7

OK
But I'm not sure "died" is a significant improvement, if Sicknick died two days later.

Precision becomes all the more important in matters of national importance. But in the case of Trump's insurrection I suspect what matters is that human life was lost, rather than how many and when. At either estimate, from lowest to highest, was the republic any less threatened?

Back