Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee, historic 70 year reign

what has she done that impresses you so much?
World war two Vet - like just about every other Brit of her age (For several years during the war, Britain conscripted women to join the war effort. Unmarried women under 30 had to join the armed forces or work on the land or in industry)
who is she a "Savvy leader of" she is a figure head, a face to put on postage stamps and on the obverse of coins. She doesnt draft laws, she doesnt pass laws so in what way does she lead?

Last edited:
"what has she done that impresses you so much?" mark

Part of it may be personal. She's been queen all my life.
I appreciate her commitment, to Chaz chagrin it seems.

Decades ago palace security failed her, and a "commoner" (my choice of word) reportedly walked into Elizabeth's bedroom. Reportedly she kept her cool, until rescue arrived, apparently unsummoned.

Though there have been controversies within the House of Windsor, no scandal involving her directly that I recall.
When Harry & Meghan surprised Elizabeth by slipping from the royal tradition, Elizabeth quickly and adroitly set the limits of their new roles. She's handled other family issues with comparable skill and dignity.

"She doesnt draft laws, she doesnt pass laws so in what way does she lead?" mark

It's been called a "ceremonial monarchy". Then why continue the tradition? As a vestige?
Some say economically, she's a net gain for the U.K., promoting tourism and publicity.

Her wholesome respectable example might be faked for a weekend, or a few weeks perhaps. It's seven decades in a row, still an inspiration.
And what will become of this royal tradition after she's gone?

She's handled other family issues with comparable skill and dignity.

By giving the disgraced Andrew a prominent role in her appearance in Westminster Abbey just 6 weeks after he settled with the woman he "allegedly" raped?

we were told that he would be "stepping down from public duties" and yet there he was just 6 weeks later having a very public role.

Looks like a series of errors, including stepping down from public duties, if the royals weren't committed to it. Whatever the case, I don't envy her majesty's royal role. And while Prince Charles seemed eager decades ago, the appeal may have lost luster for him as well.

The upside of gossiping about the royals, it leaves less time and energy to fret about escalating energy prices, supply shortages, and so on.

I don't envy her majesty's royal role.

Good because I don't think that you were going to be offered it!

I think that in his old age Charles has realised that he would be happier talking to his plants and driving around in his wine powered Aston Martin and leaving all of the bothersome stuff to the son (the one which isnt a total waste of oxygen)

I'm a little bit with t #5 on it. Can you name a better monarch?

Not clear to me what the contempt for Chaz is about. I know very little about him. But I gather he studies, prepares for meetings so he can show interest in those he's meeting. It's effortless rhetoric to say the Brit royals do "nothing". The reality is more abrasive for them.
A decade ago or so I saw Chaz in a full scale mock-up of a community designed / intended for energy efficient living, but without being crammed into a high-rise apartment building. If you'll pardon me extrapolating from a single data point, this seems to show Charles has some interest in humanity, beyond his own lifetime.
The model village I saw him in looked charming, nearly picturesque. And it addresses something I haven't read much alarm about lately, the "population explosion".

One of the things I find most charming about Charles: between Camilla and Diana, seems to me Diana was the "hotter chick" (no disrespect intended). Charles did his duty, continued the royal bloodline. But his heart was obviously with Camilla. It's a scant glimpse into personality. But that glimpse indicates to me by that criterion Charles isn't as superficial as I am. Good for him.

I've got no "skin in the game" mm #8. For U.S. citizens it's an issue about as important to the vital interests of humanity as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
But for reasons not clear to me I sense in myself a slight residue of hope that the casual resentment I've found of those in the monarchy is merely the gloss of modest pride. In any case, hardly anything worth getting worked up about.

Usage Note: Traditional usage holds that we are jealous when we fear losing something that is important to us and envious when we desire that which someone else has.

I'm a little bit with t #5 on it. Can you name a better monarch?

Without resorting to Google can you name another monarch?
Dont get me wrong the queen is fairly benign but then she doesnt really have the facility to be anything other than benign.
The royals (some of them) are busy people it must be mind numbingly tedious for them to wander around shaking hands with the fawning commoners (in a world that smells of wet paint). Of course other royals Edward for example what does he do? Andrew never did very much (other than being an embarrassment) he was most famous for his jet set life style and his love of travelling in private airplanes.

Prince William (de facto heir to the throne) frequently travels on budget airlines (he has been seen on Ryan Air and believe me that is as budget as it gets)

King Hussein of Jordan impressed me, but that was years ago. He may have died by now. I take your point. But we ought not cast final judgement based on my knowledge of Earth royalty.
"but then she doesnt really have the facility to be anything other than benign." mm #10
I generally try to avoid metaphor. But I suspect there's some symbiosis from the House of Windsor. The sanity check: why would they still be allowed in the role, if there wasn't some perceived good of it? There's more to it than this. But the castles are irreplaceable historic monuments. If little else they are caretakers of those architectural relics from an era gone & otherwise forgotten. Surely there may be more economical ways to preserve those old stone buildings. But to this foreigner there's a hint of British charm showing through.
"Prince William (de facto heir to the throne) frequently travels on budget airlines (he has been seen on Ryan Air and believe me that is as budget as it gets)" mm #10
William? Charles' eldest son?
Didn't William's gramma knight Sir Richard Branson? Has the cloud of family scandals kept William off aircraft called "Virgin"?

Again, I'm far beyond my depth here. But perhaps the status of royalty for William & kin might be in greater jeopardy if they all flew opulent first class.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands (abdicated in 2013 in favour of her son King Willem-Alexande )
King Phillipe of Belgium
Queen Margrethe II Denmark
King Carl XVI Gustaf Sweden
King Harald V Norway
King Felipe VI Spain
None of whom so far as I am aware has even done anything worthy of disapproval

And of course there are the "minor royals" of minor countries
Prince Hans-Adam II Liechtenstein
Grand Duke Henri Luxembourg
Prince Albert II Monaco
about whom who cares? (most people even Europeans would struggle to find their kingdoms on a map)

William? Charles' eldest son?

yes him - with his wife and children

Branston - who made his start up money using a tax fraud was indeed knighted but I very much doubt that the decision to do so was made in Buck house (not queenies decision to make)

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have taken a budget airline flight from Norwich to Scotland. The royal couple and their children took the Flybe jet from Norwich Airport to Aberdeen on Thursday morning. It comes a week after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were criticised in some circles for using private jets" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-49439089

mm #12 +
I feel a pang of guilt, as if I've done anything wrong here. I get the impression these royals are being judged harshly. Not sure why.
Perhaps it stems from notions from storybooks, fairy-tales. It's a simple matter for a storybook author to present fictional characters as without human flaw. I'm not sure how realistic it is to hold the British royals to storybook (ideal) standards.
You've already made persuasive counterpoint in your numerous examples in #12.
Yet again ... how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. No big deal. But mm, you have me wondering if you might just breathe a shade easier if you bump the serenity prayer up a notch or two in your outlook.

the Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference

I offer this insight based on personal experience. I learned too late in life that a persistent curmudgeonly attitude resulted in a dour life experience. As a teen I perceived those with a tendency for mirth as shallow, perhaps ignorant. But late in life I realized the one that would suffer the consequence for me not enjoying life would mainly be me.

It's a subtle message, which my own lack of linguistic skill leaves me presenting bluntly, crudely. I hope you can see past the style, to recognize the constructive insight that motivates it.

Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel and countenance. - Benjamin Franklin

PS

Queen misses jubilee service with Harry and Meghan in attendance as Boris Johnson is booed​

London (CNN)The second day of celebrations marking Queen Elizabeth II's 70-year reign began with members of the royal family, including Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, attending a religious service at the famed St Paul's Cathedral in central London on Friday.
The Queen, however, remained at home after experiencing "discomfort" on Thursday, the first day of the Platinum Jubilee, during which she appeared twice on the balcony of Buckingham Palace. The 96-year-old monarch will not attend the Epsom Derby event on Saturday, Buckingham Palace said. She is expected to watch it on television at Windsor Castle, as she did for the service on Friday, according to the palace.

mm,
Perhaps I'm projecting. But this royal gal has been queen since before I was conceived, I'm 68. I retired in 1997, age 43. She's more than twice that, and could retire at a finger snap if she wished to. That seems to me to be a persuasive insight on her character. I wish her, and her many millions of countrymen very very well.

Strange the way the same incident gets reported, In the UK news sources report that it was Harry and Megan that got booed.

Harry and Meghan booed as they arrive at St Paul's after 'enormous snub' to Queen​

‘No red carpet’: Harry and Meghan booed at royal event

In the videos (at the links) Boris isnt even in the shot!

At one point Zara Phillips (Princess Anne's daughter) in the pink can be seen to say "My God they really hate them)

Perhaps mm #15 explains their durable status (tenure) as royals, entertainment value.

mm #15, I do not know. I'm not telling you that because I thought you didn't know I don't know. I told you because I didn't know whether you knew that I know I don't know.
It's simplifies all that manifold for me to simply say: Congratulations on seven zero Queen Elizabeth.

"what has she done that impresses you so much?" mark

Part of it may be personal. She's been queen all my life.
I appreciate her commitment, to Chaz chagrin it seems. Rampage

I think that answers very much what a number of people who have "lived" through her Monarchy feel.
We held a street party , and hung symbol's of her Reign along the Road I live in. But during the last WW2 she and her Father, did represent the UK. Her power today has "slipped away" and todays population may not understand, but last night a Party was held outside Buckingham Palace and the area around was "Packed" with people, so she still holds a place in people of the UK and Common wealth, Hearts.

"In the UK news sources report that it was Harry and Megan that got booed." mm #15
I'd trust the domestic reporter's perspective in that case. Foreign reporters may simply not understand the context as well.
"At one point Zara Phillips (Princess Anne's daughter) in the pink can be seen to say "My God they really hate them)" mm #15
Crowd reaction can be difficult to interpret for multiple reasons. For one, it's rather binary, either approval, or disapproval. But disapproval in that case might instead by somewhat reciprocal, intended as support for Elizabeth.
Also, such crowd reaction isn't likely to be unanimous. So then it becomes a matter of degree. It's a little too much like reading tea leaves.

W #17
If there'd been a scandal where security camera video caught her ripping wings off butterflies I might be more inclined to support criticism. But she seems like a nice lady to me.

Matter of fact mm #2 somewhat makes that point, even if in a backhanded way. She has virtually no authority, and yet she's retained power. Not a perfect analogy, but comparable to remaining on the payroll after the work is done.

If there'd been a scandal where security camera video caught her ripping wings off butterflies I might be more inclined to support criticism. But she seems like a nice lady to me.

And to me......BUT there are a hell of a lot of "nice ladies " about and I see nothing that singles her out, she doesnt have the power to do anything really bad and if she did it wouldnt be reported

I think what we should really see, is she is a symbol. No one can live as she has lived (and before as her Father) lived with the "Press just ready for any slip in their image" and still really understand the pressure the Royal family has been and is still under. But she still IMHO stands as a symbol if not now so much, but when we needed that symbol in our past.

Back