HEADLINES: 2024

I seem to be in a desperation-powered potty-minded slump.
... I'm dreaming of a Black / South-Asian Christmas, just like the one no one's ever known ...

Roto-Rooter #261
The promotional "jingle" isn't entirely gone, but that one from the previous millennium, from my childhood over a half-century ago, is memorable.

"Roto-Rooter, that's the name
and away go troubles, down the drain. Roto-Rooter!"

The reason I remembered the Roto-Rooter slogan (number 1 ...) is because it was actually playing on the car radio just before I came home yesterday.

The reason I remembered the Roto-Rooter slogan (number 1 ...) is because it was actually playing on the car radio just before I came home yesterday.
- holy cow -
I haven't heard it in the new millennium. I figured they might have gone the way of Robert Hall, down the tubes.
- guess not - (or, your car has a real old radio?)

Associated Press

A couple found the Kentucky highway shooter's remains by being bounty hunters for a week, they say​

DYLAN LOVAN and BRUCE SCHREINER / Updated Thu, September 19, 2024 at 5:59 PM EDT

In this photo made from video provided by Sheila and Fred McCoy shows the couple while searching for the remains of a suspected highway shooter in London, Ky., Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024. (Sheila and Fred McCoy via AP)

Kentucky Interstate Shooting​

In this photo made from video provided by Sheila and Fred McCoy shows the couple while searching for the remains of a suspected highway shooter in London, Ky., Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024. (Sheila and Fred McCoy via AP)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Days after a shooter attacked an interstate and disappeared, leaving a Kentucky community scared and on guard, Fred and Sheila McCoy decided to lace up their boots for the first time in a long time and spend days in rugged terrain searching until, finally, they found a body.
Kentucky State Police credited Fred and Sheila McCoy, who typically spend their retired days creating YouTube videos about the Hatfield-McCoy feud, with helping investigators find what they believe are the remains of Joseph Couch. Couch, 32, is suspected of firing randomly at vehicles on Interstate 75 on Sept. 7, wounding five people.

High-speed rail project connecting two major US cities takes massive step forward: 'Looking to open in the early 2030s'​

Mike Taylor / Thu, September 19, 2024 at 6:30 AM EDT
Texans know how bad big-city traffic can be, and various proposals to widen highways never seem to provide adequate remedies. So, why not turn to trains?
The long-anticipated high-speed rail project to connect Houston and Dallas — for decades nothing more than a rumor — is finally taking concrete shape, Houston Public Media reported.
The 240-mile line would include a stop in the College Station area and boast a travel time of less than 90 minutes at 205 mph.

The company only entered the conversation in April after it inked a non-binding agreement with Texas Central, who created the plan, but it is already moving the needle. Amtrak and the Japanese government are in talks to use the N700S Series Shinkansen train for the line.
"The Shinkansen has a flawless — flawless — safety record," senior vice president of high-speed rail development Andy Byford said at a conference in April. "It has not had one single train-caused fatality in its whole operation since 1964. It's remarkable. And that's because what you're buying is a system."

The U.S. passenger & freight rail systems are antiquated. Here's a list of the 10 fastest on Earth, none of them in the U.S.

High speed rail in Texas? Good idea?

House to Vote on Short-Term Spending Bill to Avert a Shutdown​

By Catie Edmondson / Reporting from Capitol Hill / Sept. 25, 2024 Updated 9:34 a.m. ET

Speaker Mike Johnson is once again turning to Democrats to supply the bulk of the votes to keep federal funding flowing through Dec. 20.
“It would be political malpractice to shut the government down,” Speaker Mike Johnson said on Tuesday.Credit...Tierney L. Cross for The New York Times

The House is set on Wednesday to vote on a short-term spending bill that would avert a government shutdown just ahead of the November elections but punt a bigger funding fight to the end of the year.
Unable to break through a wall of conservative opposition to any measure that would not significantly cut federal spending, Speaker Mike Johnson is once again turning to Democrats to supply the bulk of the votes to keep federal funding flowing through Dec. 20.
After it appeared that a critical mass of conservatives could move to block consideration of the bill on the House floor, Mr. Johnson opted to bypass them entirely. He plans to bring the legislation to a vote on Wednesday evening using a special procedure that requires the support of two-thirds of those voting to pass.
It is the continuation of a long-running saga that has bedeviled House Republican leaders, both Mr. Johnson and Speaker Kevin McCarthy before him.

Speaker Johnson [R] may have gotten help from Democrats [D], BUT !!
Republicans dumped Speaker McCarthy.

In September 2023, McCarthy relied on Democrats to help pass a bipartisan continuing resolution to avert a government shutdown. As a result, Republican congressman Matt Gaetz filed a motion to vacate against McCarthy.[14] Following a largely unprecedented House floor debate between members of the majority party, McCarthy was voted out as speaker on October 3, 2023.[15] His tenure was the third-shortest for a Speaker of the House in United States history,[16][c] and he became the first speaker to ever be removed from the role during a legislative session.[17][18][19] McCarthy resigned as a member of the House at the end of that year.[20]

A Supreme Court Justice Warned That a Ruling Would Cause “Large-Scale Disruption.” The Effects Are Already Being Felt.

• Long-time Precedent Abandoned: The high court rejected a doctrine granting deference to regulatory agencies in interpreting laws when Congress hasn’t clearly defined the scope of the agencies’ power.
  • Effects Were Immediate: After less than three months, parties or judges have invoked the new ruling in 110 cases, with more likely to come.
  • Broad Reach: The ruling has already been cited in cases on abortion, overtime pay, airline fees, protections against health care discrimination, background checks for guns and more.
These highlights were written by the reporters and editors who worked on this story. Were they helpful?
For headline-grabbing drama, few Supreme Court decisions could equal the justices’ July ruling that former presidents are immune from criminal prosecution for virtually all of their official acts. But a decision in the seemingly humdrum realm of administrative law could end up having far broader consequences, affecting vast areas of American life by slashing the power of federal regulatory agencies that police pollution, food safety, health care and countless other aspects of modern society.

Lower court judges have already cited the Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision, in a case known as Loper Bright, to halt implementation ....

CONTINUED

Back