H E A D L I N E S : 2 0 2 2 & 2 0 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks S2. Drilling 3 holes all the way though the hull of such a "deep sea" submersible is not recommended. But there were "red flags" all over this operation.

When I was a boy I visited the Empire State Building in NYC. We rode an express elevator to the observation deck (86 stories up?). I was too young to have learned how to yawn to equalize the pressure.
But that pressure differential, 4% by my approximation, is trivial compared to the difference between 14 PSI at sea level, and the more than one ton per square inch several thousand feet below the ocean's surface.
Before the fate of the submersible was known there were imaginings of the 5 occupants conserving energy by limiting gross motor (body) movement to extend the duration of their Oxygen supply.
That's unlikely.
Such structural failure occurs as a cascade failure, a structural catastrophic fail. It's too fast for the human nervous system to be aware of. "Implosion" describes it.
Not just like being hit by the proverbial "ton of bricks" but being crushed by a ton of bricks on every square inch of their body.

Photons travel through the unencumbered vacuum of space at 100% SOL = C
Electrons travel through a Copper wire at 96% SOL
Reflex action nerve impulses travel at 250 MPH
Thought nerve impulses travel at 70 MPH
Pain nerve impulses travel at 3 MPH
source: Bob Berman 19/02/07

It's a virtual certitude they never knew what hit 'em.

There are historic accounts of travelers in covered wagons grabbing their flintlock musket from the wagon, and shooting themselves with it by snagging the hammer.
Some manufacturers affix warning labels on electric hair dryers, not to be used in the shower.
And then there are these lame brains, who could have gotten a better view of the Titanic via an unmanned submersible with a few UHD / 4K cameras, the adventurers enjoying the comfort of the surface ship. BUT NOOOOOOOO !!!

At some point it seems best explained as Chlorine for the gene pool. Consider it Eugenics 2.0, for the DIY crowd.
"Hey fellas! Watch this !!" many a redneck's famous last words
PS
There's a little more to be said, BUT !! This event took place in international water. Demand for regulatory legislation goes to ... who? The U.N.?
Outlawing stupidity seems noble enough. But before that, what do you say we solve the global warming problem first. OK?

BTW, I'm sure the screws supporting the monitor didn't go all the way thru but even going part way would weaken the hull.

As a point of information, the pressure at that depth would be about 5,600 psi or almost three tons.
The "news" coverage has been cluttered with -oh ain't it just awful-.
Whatever the PSI is at that portion of the ocean floor, it's not clear to me to what depth the submersible descended at the time of the implosion. I doubt they ever reached the sunken ocean liner.
The debris may have been located on the bottom. But at what depth did the voyage end?
BTW, I'm sure the screws supporting the monitor didn't go all the way thru but even going part way would weaken the hull.
I've wondered. I doubt they went through. From the blurred image in #300 they look like heads rather than the threaded end. If so there were either nuts on the outside of the hull, or the holes didn't quite go through.
Part of maintaining the structural integrity of such a vacuum chamber involves preventing asymmetric structural forces ("stresses"). I don't know enough about civil engineering to quantify the degree of weakness (2.371%?) imparted by installing the monitor support.
But the curious can experiment at home with hen's eggs, hard boiled recommended. It won't implode. But it can show that once a crack in the shell develops, the structural integrity is permanently compromised.

eggs02.JPG

A word to the wise: THINK !

The first 6 months of 2023 end tomorrow.
So far, as bad as you figured? So far:

Published June 29, 2023 11:05am EDT

Supreme Court rejects affirmative action in ruling on universities using race in admissions decisions​

In 6-3 affirmative action opinion, Supreme Court decides using race as factor in college admissions violates Constitution's 14th Amendment​

By Anders Hagstrom , Haley Chi-Sing , Brianna Herlihy | Fox News

Supreme Court rules race cannot be factor in college admission

The U.S. Supreme Court handed down a major ruling on affirmative action Thursday, rejecting the use of race as a factor in college admissions as a violation of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.
In a 6-3 decision, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the majority opinion that, "A benefit to a student who overcame racial discrimination, for example, must be tied to that student’s courage and determination."
"Or a benefit to a student whose heritage or culture motivated him or her to assume a leadership role or attain a particular goal must be tied to that student’s unique ability to contribute to the university. In other words, the student must be treated based on his or her experiences as an individual—not on the basis of race," the opinion reads.

If illegal for employers to discriminate against older job applicants, how could requiring a birth date disclosure on their employment application be justified? Employers circumventing that could require disclosure of the applicant's high school graduation date.

If SCOTUS is serious about excluding affirmative action on basis that it's discrimination, will SCOTUS insure college admissions boards do not solicit or obtain race information from their applications?

So the year's half over. What about part 2023 part II?

If illegal for employers to discriminate against older job applicants, how could requiring a birth date disclosure on their employment application be justified? Employers circumventing that could require disclosure of the applicant's high school graduation date.
I regularly receive resumes with no birthdate or age shown but it's usually not difficult to estimate an approximate age - when they graduated from university or the date they first started work. While you can easily be off by a year or two you're not going to be very far wrong.

Yes, BUT !
That's a fraction of the story.

The racist's mantra on this topic is: to end racism stop making racial distinctions.
The U.S. retains racism with various manifestations. The idea of affirmative action was to counter that racism. Affirmative Action didn't achieve static balance, but it seemed to help tilt the system more toward an equilibrium.

Point being, if there will be no compensation for minority status (at my last check U.S. military veterans got an automatic 10 extra points added to their civil service test score. Doesn't the reason for this SCOTUS ruling also invalidate this preference for vets?) under the pretense of purity, then shouldn't that pretense at least be plausible?
Admissions boards can't consider factors they're unaware of.

Not sure how to deal w/ Tariq Wembanyama vs Wentworth Davidson.

Bottom line, my opinion, SCOTUS pulled a Trump here. Under the guise of improvement they've destroyed a functioning system, without any hint of replacement, etc. I understand replacement can be legislative, not judicial. None the less, SCOTUS pulled the rug out from under ...

Sear, the fox news link you posted includes "We did not fight a civil war about oboe players," Roberts shot back. "We did fight a civil war to eliminate racial discrimination." The 6-3 majority premises this decision on equality of process rather than equality of outcome. Why shouldn't university populations reflect the diversity of the nation? In a bias-free society eliminating bias from college admissions would be an improvement. Does this 6-3 majority really believe this is a bias-free society?

Could he be more of an ignorant jackass?

CNIFLnr.jpeg

The title question is rhetorical. Yes, Mike, racism is gone from US society and clearly people of color are no longer disadvantaged!

The last few years has clearly highlighted that! /S

I also have to agree that his three white, Christian, financially advantaged kids attending college without difficulty is the perfect barometer for evaluating whether there is systemic discrimination or not still inherent today. Who can't see that? /S

Roberts shot back. "We did fight a civil war to eliminate racial discrimination." #308
The Civil War ended in the 19th Century C.J. Roberts. Pursuit of achieving the objective continues in the 21st.
Could he be more of an ignorant jackass?
- ok -
a) I'm not promoting Pence's candidacy. But in the talking heads interviews I've seen Pence in lately, he seemed quite skilled to me at walking the tightrope.

b) Not to agree w/ Pence, but a sincere inquiry:
The notion in #309 seems to be: "affirmative action" (aka reverse discrimination [which means "discrimination"]) has not yet succeeded, and that it should not yet be discontinued.
QUESTION: For how much longer should affirmative action be continued? Until true equality is achieved? By what metric?
And if affirmative action were to be continued from 2023 to 2123 or 2223, and true equality is not achieved, then what? Enshrine affirmative action (reverse discrimination) as a U.S. institution for perpetuity?

I'm not rejecting affirmative action, nor am I endorsing the recent SCOTUS ruling. But the notion that preferential treatment must me accorded for things to work out "fairly" should alarm the cognitive mind.

Pence #309 says we're there. We're not.
But at what point should we question the legitimacy of discriminating against the majority?

NATO summit host Lithuania is a small country with a loud voice, especially when it comes to Russia​

Former Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite speaks during an interview with The Associated Press at the President's palace in Vilnius, Lithuania, Tuesday, July 4, 2023. Grybauskaite has earned a reputation as the "Baltic Iron Lady" for her resolute leadership and bluntness, particularly regarding Russia, she was one of few European leaders who warned of Russian interference in eastern Europe even before Moscow annexed Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in 2014. (AP Photo/Mindaugas Kulbis)
ASSOCIATED PRESS
LIUDAS DAPKUS
Sat, July 8, 2023 at 3:07 AM EDT

VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) — The area, usually busy with cars, cyclists and pedestrians, is closed to traffic and packed with heavy armored vehicles.
“Never in its history was Lithuania this safe," says Jonas Braukyla, an IT engineer, who brought his family to see the U.S.-made Abrams tanks, German Leopards and Marders and other military hardware brought out to project NATO power ahead of an alliance summit next week. “They are even bringing Patriot missile defenses over here. Now we must help our brothers and sisters in Ukraine and I hope the summit will bring good news for them.”
The two-day summit starting Tuesday with U.S. President Joe Biden and other NATO leaders will be the most high-profile international event that Lithuania has hosted since it joined the alliance in 2004, and some locals hope it will be of historic significance.
Others are less optimistic.

“The Vilnius summit will be important, but not historic. I doubt that the decision on Ukraine’s future will be precise and affirmative,” said Dalia Grybauskaite, Lithuania's former president.
Her skepticism reflects a widely held belief in the Baltic countries that the West, even after Russia launched the biggest war in Europe since World War II, has never truly understood the threat that Moscow poses to the continent.
Grybauskaite earned a reputation as the “Baltic Iron Lady” for her resolute leadership and bluntness, particularly regarding Russia. The European Union’s budget commissioner for five years before serving as Lithuania’s president from 2009 to 2019, she was one of few European leaders who warned of Russian interference in eastern Europe even before Moscow annexed Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula in 2014.
Now, she says, many Western leaders are still grossly misled about the Kremlin’s real intentions and lack the political will to respond accordingly.

Several important issues:
- how much matériel should NATO provide Ukraine, so that Ukraine can finish off Russia, without NATO having to expose its own troops to combating Russia?

- NATO membership?

- China ?

- North Korea ?

Is the Biden team ready?

FBI funding slashed by $1B in legislation moving closer to a House vote​

FBI funding would drop from $11.3 billion to $10.3 billion under the bill​

By Peter Kasperowicz | Fox News
House Republicans on Friday advanced legislation that would cut FBI funding by $1 billion and rein in what the GOP says is the over-politicization of the bureau.
In a party-line vote, a House Appropriations subcommittee approved the Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies funding bill for 2024. The legislation goes further than the spending deal reached by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and President Biden by steering overall funding levels to those seen in 2022 rather than 2023.
For the FBI, that means a significant 9% cut in funding. The bill chops discretionary funding for the bureau from $11.3 billion in the current fiscal year to $10.3 billion.

FBI IS ‘ABSOLUTELY NOT' PROTECTING THE BIDENS, WRAY TESTIFIES IN HEATED HOUSE JUDICIARY HEARING

FBI Director Christopher Wray would face a $1 billion cut in discretionary funding if a GOP funding bill became law. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)
The big chunk of that cut is a $400 million reduction to FBI salaries and expenses. But the bill also imposes new spending limitations on the bureau, which has been a focus of complaints from Republicans who say the FBI has failed to pursue charges against Hunter Biden while it has aggressively worked to prosecute conservatives.
Among other things, the bill bars the FBI from conducting any politically sensitive investigations until the Justice Department sets up a policy that lets non-partisan staff oversee these probes.

Bottom line, Republicans are punishing the FBI for doing its job to defend the Constitution against the insurrectionists including Trump. This Republican treachery threatens the sovereignty of the United States of America.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville is waging an unprecedented campaign to try to change Pentagon abortion policy by holding up hundreds of military nominations and promotions, forcing less experienced leaders into top jobs and raising concerns at the Pentagon about military readiness.
Senators in both parties — including Republican Leader Mitch McConnell — have pushed back on Tuberville’s blockade, but Tuberville is dug in. He says he won’t drop the holds unless majority Democrats allow a vote on the policy.

There's widespread alarm among responsible U.S. officials that U.S. military readiness is degraded by Tuberville's windmill tilting.

Does it make sense to hold U.S. military readiness hostage in time of war?

PBS NewsHour broadcast the following yesterday:

PBSNH230714.JPG

While the war in Ukraine has upended the global supply of grain, a WSJ investigation in 2022 revealed how Russia has quietly institutionalized the theft of hundreds of thousands of metric tons of it out of newly occupied areas of Ukraine and into Russian-allied countries in the Middle East.
ISTANBUL—Russia said Monday it was withdrawing from an international agreement that allowed Ukraine to resume much of its Black Sea grain exports, raising concerns about a key link in the global food supply chain.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-says-it-is-pulling-out-of-ukraine-grain-deal-68190d1
Famine, human hunger had not been eliminated before Russia invaded Ukraine.
But Russia withdrawing permission for Ukraine to export this staple food, the scourge of human hunger will only worsen.

Topic Question:
Even if Ukraine did not export grain any specific U.S. ally or trading partner, Russian interference with Ukraine's grain exports does affect the global food supply, which does affect the United States, our allies, & trading partners.

While that need not necessarily draw full bore NATO military response against Russia, might it not justify military protection of cargo vessels transporting / exporting Ukraine's food, the way there was military protection of oceangoing oil tankers during tensions in the Middle East?

Ref:
“Well article 1 section 8 of the Constitution gives Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce. Beginning in the 1930's progressives used the commerce clause to claim that the government could do virtually anything it wished. It culminated in the case mentioned in the opening post to this thread, Wickard v. Filburn. In that case, Mr. Filburn had grown a few hundred bushels of wheat over his allotment in FDR's disastrous price fixing scheme. The wheat was entirely for Filburn's own consumption but the Supreme Court held that Filburn's fines were Constitutional because the wheat he grew for himself would otherwise have to be procured off of the open market and that affected interstate commerce.
After that there were practically no limits to the scope of government power.” Cincinnatus87

Hollywood is stricken. With both writers & actors on strike, this tip of the U.S. culture spear has gone dull. What's left?

Movie fans hit the multiplexes for 'Barbenheimer' July 21, 2023

Two feature films, one based on a popular child's toy doll, "Barbie". The other on J. Robert Oppenheimer, sometimes nicknamed the father of the atomic bomb.

Have you seen anything at the cinema lately? Anything worth comment?

And does this climate of crisis fatigue, War in Ukraine, congress snarled over U.S. military promotions, etc. reflect badly on Biden? Will it factor in the 2024 election outcome?

It's Too Hot For EVs To Work Right​

The heat wave affecting much of the U.S. may be causing electric vehicles to lose nearly a third of their range.​

By Andy Kalmowitz

We already knew electric vehicles don’t do so well when it gets really cold outside. Well, apparently they don’t really like extreme heat either. According to Automotive News, the recent heat wave across much of the Southern and Western U.S. has brought their range issue to the forefront.

A Seattle-based EV battery and range analytics company called Recurrent has reportedly tested thousands of vehicles in various weather conditions. It found that many vehicles experienced “significant declines” in their range as temperatures rose. Some apparently suffered a 31 percent drop when temps got about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That is less than ideal. At cooler temperatures, the outlet reports that the range loss wasn’t as high. There was an average of 5 percent reduction at 90 degrees and 2.8 percent at 80, so it’s definitely not linear.

Typically the home appliance that consumes most energy other than the furnace is the refrigerator.

Air conditioning in a car with an internal combustion engine (ICE) works because the energy density of gasoline exceeds that of Li-Ion batteries.
The energy margin with full electric (meaning not "hybrid") means, to operate a conventional air conditioning compressor in an EV would substantially reduce mileage range between charges.

There may be innovations to circumvent that, perhaps liquid Nitrogen, so when an EV is being charged in Arizona, the Nitrogen tank can also be filled, enabling the occupants to travel in low Carbon comfort.

BF Skinner warned us, each new technological "solution" tends to result in new technological problems.

Update on the United Parcel [delivery] Service (UPS) contract negotiations:

World at Work

UPS, union avert strike with planned 5-year deal, pay increase​

By Lisa Baertlein and Priyamvada C / July 25, 2023
UPS workers, who are members of the Teamsters Union, take part in a 'practice picket line' ahead of an upcoming possible strike, outside of a UPS Distribution Center in Brooklyn, New York, U.S., July 14, 2023. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

July 25 (Reuters) - UPS (UPS.N) and its Teamsters union have agreed on a tentative contract deal for about 340,000 U.S. workers at the parcel delivery firm, one week ahead of a threatened strike that could have cost the economy billions and disrupted a quarter of U.S. package shipments.
Tuesday's announced deal, which must be ratified by union members, cinches another win for labor unions, especially in the transportation and industrial sectors that have seen their hand strengthened in recent negotiations amid worker shortages and higher demand.

UPS had incentive to settle, as a Teamsters strike would have driven package delivery business to competitors including FedEx and USPS.

"Breaking News: Senator Mitch McConnell Freezes On Camera" "19 seconds of silence" source NBC-TV News

81 year old Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), longest serving party leader in senate history, not without health issues.

- Shoulder surgery after falling in 2019
- 6 week recovery from concussion & fractured rib, again from falling

McConnell's 19 second freeze resulted in McConnell being lead away from the podium by fellow Republicans, returning "moments later" to continue McConnell's weekly news conference, where he announced "I'm fine."

McConnell is anti-choice. It was a "pregnant pause". Make up your own joke.

On Sunday August 6, 2023 ABC-TV ThisWeek moderator George Stephanopoulos referenced a recent New York Times poll that lists the race between Biden and Trump a "dead heat".
Panelist & former Acting DNC Chair Donna Brazile responded:

It's a dead heat. That's because as I said before the Democratic family is still being unified. And when you look at the president's weaknesses it's among young voters. And I talked to his campaign manager this weekend ... they have a strategy to re-engage with those voters to bring those voters back into the room. Once those voters come back into the room it's not going to be a dead heat.

Look, Donald Trump is out on bail. He's out on bail. He's been indicted. I mean, he was arrested. And while we don't have the fingerprints, the mug-shots, the Republicans are willing to put their boy in, their entire apparatus behind someone who's been indicted for defrauding the United States government and denying the People of America the right to vote. That's huge. We've never seen this before. And the notion that all of a sudden we got to continue to break so that we can hear his blues, hear the former president say I'm going to go after you if you come after me, that's what he said to the Republican officials who tried to certify the election. Follow the law. I don't know the speaker of the house in Arizona, but you should call him, and say, how do you feel today with all the death threats? Call Ms Freeman and her daughter. How do you feel with all the death threats? And ask Mike Pence, how do you feel with all of the death threats? This is unAmerican for a former president to continue to threaten our democracy.

Has Trump threatened those that may be jurors at Trump's trial? "I'm going to go after you if you come after me"? Jury tampering?

August 7, 2023:
It's Civic Holiday in Canada.

279257748f6a711694873dd617a8bad39602b5f.JPG

Right back atcha Northern neighbors ! - rah rah -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back