“Rudy’s defense is that he was a bad lawyer”

Shiftless2

I do have to say that shortly after 9/11 I attended a conference where Rudy was the keynote speaker. And I have to admit that he was extremely impressive. Further there was a private dinner with him and some very senior industry execs (no I wasn't an attendee) and they were all seriously impressed by him. But somewhere along the line he completely lost it.

“Rudy’s defense is that he was a bad lawyer”: Giuliani struggles with questions at D.C. Bar hearing
Giuliani doubled down on false election claims while trying to defend his law license

By AREEBA SHAH

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani defended his role in challenging the 2020 presidential election after the D.C. Bar accused him of misusing his law license and called for it to be revoked.

The ethics case, brought by the D.C. Bar's Office of Disciplinary Counsel, will determine whether Giuliani violated attorney ethics rules with the federal court by filing a "frivolous" post-election lawsuit in Pennsylvania that falsely claimed the November 2020 general presidential election was wrought with fraud on behalf of then-President Donald Trump, Politico reported.

Giuliani appeared as the first witness in his own attorney misconduct hearing in a trial scheduled for the next two weeks. The panel will issue a report with recommendations after hearing arguments and testimony.

Ultimately, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals will rule on whether to impose sanctions, which can range from a written reprimand to stripping Giuliani's license to practice. A state court in New York suspended ...

From the article
"Rudy Giuliani's defense in his bar discipline case is that he was a bad lawyer who was just sloppily throwing allegations out there … even though he was trying to help the President overturn the election," tweeted former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti. "He's half right—he *is* a bad lawyer. But he's also a dishonest one."

I do have to say that shortly after 9/11 I attended a conference where Rudy was the keynote speaker. And I have to admit that he was extremely impressive. Further there was a private dinner with him and some very senior industry execs (no I wasn't an attendee) and they were all seriously impressed by him.
- ditto -
Giuliani first showed up on my radar when he was a federal prosecutor, busting up the mob. In that role he seemed fearless, heroic. Even as NYC mayor at least the trains ran on time, you're welcome Mussolini fans.
That's what I was gunna say.
somewhere along the line he completely lost it.
Follow the bread crumbs connecting Trump Tower to 1600 Penn. Ave.

Though Trump himself was not convicted, today's ruling
CAUqDwgAKgcICjCO64oDMJavPDDxy8GUKWoJaW1hZ2UvcG5n
The New York Times
Trump Organization Found Guilty in Tax Fraud Scheme: Live Updates

Everything King Midas touched turned to Gold. Similar story w/ Trump.

PS
Too early to say fer sher, but Trump might have sparked the revision of the GOP by his comment about suspending the Constitution about his election loss. Romney's been on the right side of that one all along. But lately, he's not alone.

Rudy Giuliani's Florida Property Slapped With $550,000 IRS Tax Lien Amid Financial Woes

The Internal Revenue Service has placed a tax lien on Rudy Giuliani’s Florida condo in another sign of the longtime Donald Trump ally’s growing financial difficulties.

The condo, part of a complex built in 1969, is located around three miles north of the former president’s Mar-a-Lago golf resort in Palm Beach, Florida.

Giuliani owes about $550,000 in income taxes to the IRS, according to a filing signed in late August. That’s in addition to a variety of legal bills that are reportedly mounting as the former New York City mayor faces criminal election interference charges in Georgia and other legal woes.

The former mayor listed an Upper East Side apartment for $6.5 million this summer but has yet to find a buyer.

An attorney for Giuliani, Adam Katz, told a judge in August that his client was “close to broke.” Among those suing him are Smartmatic, the voting technology company accusing Giuliani of defamation, and Robert J. Costello, a former attorney who says Giuliani owes him more than $1 million in unpaid fees. Also in August, a federal judge ordered Giuliani to pay nearly $133,000 to two Georgia election workers after he failed to produce evidence in their case against him.

Giuliani Ordered to Pay $148 Million for Defaming Election Workers

Donald Trump's former lawyer is finally facing accountability for the slew of lies he told in the aftermath of the 2020 election
BY NIKKI MCCANN RAMIREZ

Rudy Giuliani has been ordered to pay two Georgia election workers a total of $148 million for spreading defamatory conspiracy theories about them in the aftermath of the 2020 election. The massive judgement is the most significant legal accountability any one individual has faced for lying about election fraud.

The eight-person jury reached the decision unanimously on Friday after deliberating for two days. The jury found Giuliani owes Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss and her mother Ruby Freeman $16,998,000 and $16,171,000, respectively, for defamation; $20 million a piece for emotional distress; and $75 million total in punitive damages. The payouts total over $148 million.

Giuliani showed no remorse outside the courtroom after the judgement was handed down. “I don’t regret a damn thing,” he said, adding that he plans to appeal and that the entire proceedings were “absurd.” He said the lies he spread about Moss and Freeman were “supportable” and are still “supportable today.”

CONTINUED

Some related articles

If he didn’t want to pay millions to two Georgia election workers, he probably should have refrained from defaming them

"Not looking good for Rudy" S2 #3
BUT !
If we were to compress Giuliani's entire history with DJ into a single photographic image, could we do better?

"Giuliani Ordered to Pay $148 Million for Defaming Election Workers" #5

Reportedly this is more than the plaintiffs originally requested.
It seems the jury deliberated that the original $sum was not enough.

Also reported: Giuliani has maintained his false claim of corruption, even during the trial. And after the verdict?

btw:
I'm guessing Giuliani doesn't have that much $cash available at the moment, and it wouldn't surprise me if Trump doesn't either. So what happens now?

Christmas came a few days early this year ...

ZDCoD9v.png

Rudy Giuliani must immediately pay the $148 million he owes two Georgia women he falsely accused of helping steal the 2020 election, a federal judge ruled Wednesday in a scathing order accusing the former Trump attorney of ongoing dishonesty.

Judge Beryl A. Howell wrote that there is a strong danger Giuliani is likely to hide his assets from plaintiffs Ruby Freeman and Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss and is unlikely to succeed in having last week’s jury verdict overturned or cut down on appeal.

Attorneys for the two women still have to enforce the judgment against Giuliani, which may involve further court proceedings. But they do not have to wait the standard 30 days to begin trying to seize his assets. “Giuliani has never denied that he has taken steps to hide his assets from judgment creditors, and has offered no affirmative pledge that he will take no steps to do so,” Howell wrote.

Giuliani has repeatedly said he does not have the money to pay a high penalty for his defamatory comments. At trial, his lawyer said the $43 million sought by the plaintiffs was “the civil equivalent of the death penalty” and “would be the end of Mr. Giuliani.” The jury’s verdict was more than three times as much.

As Howell noted, it is unclear how much money Giuliani has because he ignored court orders that would have offered insight into his finances. But she said he has failed to “contend, let alone demonstrate with documentary or other proof,” that he can’t pay at least some chunk of the hefty penalty. He owns property in New York and Florida and has multiple bank accounts, she pointed out. And, she added, his claims of penury “are difficult to square with the fact that Giuliani affords a spokesperson, who accompanied him daily to trial.”

Howell ordered sanctions of Giuliani for his failure to turn over information, requiring him to pay some of the plaintiffs’ legal fees. She reminded him in Wednesday’s ruling that he “has simply ignored” those orders, “without … making any excuse.”

The judge also ruled before trial that Giuliani had defamed the two women, because he chose not to contest their claims rather than give them information they were entitled to have about why he targeted them and whether he profited from doing so. He faces criminal prosecution in Georgia related to Trump’s alleged effort to subvert the state’s election results, and anything he revealed in the D.C. case could be used against him there.

The two women sued Giuliani again on Monday for continuing to make comments about them that his lawyer conceded in court were untrue.

Attorneys for the former New York mayor wrote in a filing Tuesday that “if Giuliani had intentions of absconding with or fraudulently transferring assets, he has ample time to do it.” Howell dismissed that reassurance as “cheekily” made and “not persuasive.”

She also brushed aside Giuliani’s suggestion that he should have time to appeal the verdict against him as unreasonable. It would be “difficult” for him to convince the court he should be allowed to appeal without first posting a bond equivalent to the judgment, she said. And, she said, considering what jurors heard about his “past and continuing — including up to and during trial — defamation of” the two women, the judgment was “conservative.”

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/12/20/giuliani-judgment-pay-immediately/

No surprise here

Former Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani files for bankruptcy protection, lists more than $100 million in debts #11​

I don't recall having read any statistic on this: of all those that have thrown in w/ Trump, has their short tenure been a net benefit to them? Has Trump $paid them? Where would Rudy be now, if he'd stayed away from Trump?
And if it's as bad as it seems, why do all these kids continue to march into the wood-chipper?

T R U M P

The contagious disease metaphor comes to mind.
So many that do business with Trump seem to suffer for it.

Who can name 3 former Trump associates that are glad to have worked with the Donald?

Mike Pence?
- nope -

Back