Where do my rights end, and your rights begin?

sear

Administrator
Staff member
The layman's cliche' on Liberty is: "Your right to flail your fist ends short of where my nose begins." If you enjoy flailing your fist, spectacular. I enjoy not being punched in the nose. These rights are not mutually exclusive. If you wish to flail your fist, please do so
elsewhere.

During the global COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 - 2022 some U.S. citizens have defied CDC guidelines and common sense, and refused to accept any of the FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines. While there is no shame in remaining an unbridled champion of the Creator endowed, Constitutionally enumerated, unalienable right of Liberty,
Liberty has never been, is not, and must not ever be an absolute right in our Constitutional republic.

"No right is absolute. Conversely, no government authority is absolute." lawyer, law Professor and former ACLU head Nadine Strossen

This inevitably becomes a question of: - where do we draw the line? -
If a U.S. citizen is deeply committed to avoiding COVID-19 vaccination they may find justification for an exception to the nation-wide quest for herd immunity.
BUT if that vax averse U.S. citizen is employed as a care provider for senior citizens the calculation changes. Senior citizens may not merely be more vulnerable to contract COVID-19, but may also be at greater risk of life-threatening disease.
Therefore if a U.S. citizen wishes to avoid vaccination, but also works in daily close contact with this disproportionately vulnerable segment of the population, shouldn't that U.S. citizen choose? Which is more important? Keeping the job, or avoiding vaccination?

Is it wrong for the employer of such elder care workers to establish the ultimatum? Get fully vaccinated, or find a different line of work.
"Your right to flail your fist ends short of where my nose begins." Which is the greater? Indulging a vax aversion, or not being killed by the vax averse?

And if we apply that standard in the global COVID-19 pandemic, is there a logical reason to not also apply that same standard to bakery shop owners that wish to discriminate against same sex couples wanting a wedding cake?
If a U.S. citizen opposes same sex couples, dandy. But nowhere in the Constitution is there an enumerated right to discriminate.

In the past the USSC has approved the constitutionality of compulsory vaccination - Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11

during the 1900 small pox epidemic teams of deputies forced their way into homes and held people down whilst they were forcibly vaccinated

We can't possibly get useful situational awareness without understanding the (recent legal) history. But U.S. history is a swirl of contradictions and hypocrisies.
We pretend to respect property rights, on the land we stole from the aboriginal Americans. "When I was a boy the Sioux owned the world. The sun rose and set on our land. Where are the lands today? What treaty has the white man ever made with us that they kept? Not one." Chief Sitting Bull

We pretend to freedom from unreasonable arrest, can't justify Koramatsu.
Trump and Biden are quite far apart politically & otherwise. Neither of them introduced mandatory nationwide vaccinations. But wouldn't that be a national utilitarian victory?

Sometimes in politics you have to rise above principle. Sen. Everett Dirksen

It seems science, law, & custom are in contention here. And no matter the outcome it seems it will be to the detriment of the others. If there is a silver lining in this dark and extensive (3 years!) cloud, at least we're not casual about it.

I'm no fan of half-stepping. But I'm curious about what techniques remain in the government's arm-twisting arsenal. Sequestration (Koramatsu II?)? Get 3 shots, or spend the remainder of the pandemic in a tent city in the Arizona desert? - OR - Is it better to let the vax averse terminate their own family trees?

Back