VA halts all new work on Veterans health records overhaul

Rampage

Veterans Affairs officials on Friday announced a full halt to its troubled electronic health records modernization project, calling into question whether the $16-billion effort will be completely scrapped in the near future.
“For the past few years, we’ve tried to fix this plane while flying it, and that hasn’t delivered the results that veterans or our staff deserve,” Dr. Neil Evans, acting program executive director of VA’s health records project, said in a statement.
Lawmakers in recent weeks have introduced a host of bills designed to further slow deployments until performance and accountability benchmarks are met. In a statement on Friday, Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Jon Tester, D-Mont., said he supported the latest VA halt.
“This reset is a step in the right direction and shows that VA is serious about getting this program working for the veterans it serves,” he said. “The system is simply far too important to the future of our veterans’ health care.”

The veterans administration was promised that with this system any veteran could report to any VA health facility, and the patient's medical records would be available to the healthcare staff. Is that worth $16-billion dollars?

Thanks for the scoop R #1.
Not a lot of news available on this story. I got the impression the hope was the VA health records system would become a model for the rest of the U.S.
Looks like they hit a snag.

R #1,
I hope this isn't too much of a stretch:
When New York Harbor's Statue of Liberty needed restoration Lee Iacocca was appointed to oversee it. I'm wondering if a 3rd millennium software guru, Microsoft perhaps, might take on this VA records system challenge. Not sure how the money thing would work out.
But I'd hope one the system were up, running, and debugged, that it would thereafter need little attention (maintenance).

Back