U.S. Rep.-elect George Santos (R-NY) lied to the voters, and WON the election. Should he be allowed to take office?

sear

Administrator
Staff member
Deliberately providing false information on an employment application / résumé is often grounds for dismissal.
But rep. elect Santos' (R-NY) publicized his false claims during his political election campaign.

"Long Island prosecutors have launched an investigation into U.S. Rep.-elect George Santos of New York, after revelations surfaced that the now-embattled Republican lied about his heritage, education and professional pedigree as he campaigned for office."
"The Republican has admitted to lying about having Jewish ancestry, a Wall Street pedigree and a college degree, but he has yet to address other lingering questions — including the source of what appears to be a quickly amassed fortune despite recent financial problems, including evictions and owing thousands in back rent."

Should there be an exception in law? Lying on an employment application is grounds for dismissal, EXCEPT for elective office? When campaigning for elective office, tell any lie, as many as you like, no problem?

What should be done in this Santos case?
Is this a problem that demands statutory remedy? (meaning, should there be a law against this)
If so, what remedy? Forfeiture of campaign $funds?

Is Trump any better? "I will build a great, great wall on our Southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall, mark my words." Republican primary presidential candidate Donald J. Trump 15/06/16 www.DonaldJTrump.com

In a word, NO.

In the real world (i.e., outside of politics) if anyone had lied on a resume to that extent they'd be gone within a few minutes. With cause. And no warning or appeal.

Not merely a matter of "if " he gets away with it, so far I've read no report of his office-taking in suspension.
But consider the consequence:

... Santos announced he would back McCarthy (R-Calif.) to become House speaker when the 118th Congress convenes Jan. 3. Soon after, on Dec.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/29/nassau-gop-ditch-rep-elect-george-santos-amid-calls-for-ethics-probe/

Will Santos provide McCarthy the last vote needed to acquire the speakership? Santos looks to me like the proper realm for a congressional ethics committee. BUT !!
The status quo traditionally wields deliberate power over its own tenure, particularly in congress.

S2,
you've got some practical insight from professional experience. Question:
- If congress outlaws lying in political election campaigns, rather than eliminate or substantially reduce campaign lying, won't it just evolve a more resilient form?

The only cases I'm aware of are Canadian and refer to breaking election promises, not flat out lying on a resume.
That's an important distinction.
And the courts have ruled that you can't sue politicians for that.
I checked your URL.
I found the date on the headlines interesting, trying to imagine the collective political philosophical timeline, as the issue is clarified / resolved in recent years. Interesting series of historic snapshots.

Isn't a recall election possible? If a certain threshold is reached on a petition to have him removed - then a recall election is triggered? That would be the proper process for removing Santos. OF course, depending on his constituency's political make-up, it may be moot.

Isn't a recall election possible? If a certain threshold is reached on a petition to have him removed - then a recall election is triggered? That would be the proper process for removing Santos. OF course, depending on his constituency's political make-up, it may be moot.
You may have nailed it here BR #7.
I gather holding a Statewide election costs over a $Million. And I suspect in this case if it were to happen at all, it would be at the People's (tax $payer's) expense. Thus they (we) are twice victimized.

What annoys me here: it's not merely a matter of slight embellishment. It's outright fraud. And in that case, nobody knew until after the election?!

- moooot: means it's an issue that's been put out to pasture? -

Well I wasn't sure about the constituency he represents and its political make-up, but looks like it could be competitive and they had a Dem previously who resigned to run for governor (Suozzi), so I guess it's worth doing the petition/recall election.

Join the crowd BR #9. You may know more about it than I do.
And while I can not sincerely attempt to pass off the following as uplifting, I can at least reprise it here:
"There's no need to worry.
Absolutely nothing is going to turn out alright." Paul Harvey September 4, 1918 – February 28, 2009

PS
A glimmer of hope for the credibility bereft GOP?

Nassau County GOP calls for Santos to resign
By Gregory Krieg and Shania Shelton, CNN Updated 1:37 PM EST, Wed January 11, 2023

Leaders of the Nassau County Republican Party on Wednesday called for Rep. George Santos, elected to represent New York’s 3rd Congressional District in November, to resign from office over his lies to voters and fabrications about his personal life.
“Today, on behalf of the Nassau County Republican Committee, I’m calling for his immediate resignation,” chairman Joseph G. Cairo said at a news conference on Long Island. He was joined by a slate of local party officials and, remotely from Washington, DC, Republican Rep. Anthony D’Esposito, who also called for Santos to step down.
Cairo said the congressman’s campaign was made up “of deceit, lies and fabrication.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/politics/george-santos-nassau-county-resign/index.html

"deceit, lies and fabrication”?
Perhaps the GOP hasn't heard of President Trump yet?

PPS

#11 CNN widely regarded as liberal.
FOX widely regarded as Republican-friendly. Worth noting, this FOX article was released a few hours before the CNN.

George Santos Published January 11, 2023 11:55am EST

George Santos refuses to resign after Nassau County GOP calls on disgraced congressman to step down​

The Nassau GOP was the first major Republican group to call for Santos' resignation​

He just keeps doubling down with the lies ....

dfWP0Er.jpeg

So far the most the GOP has said is that they're "handling the matter internally"
As you know S2 #15 that's a rhetorical fig-leaf. Here's an update:

Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., the new chair of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee, said embattled Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., would be ousted from Congress if it's determined that he broke campaign finance laws.
"I haven't even introduced myself to him because it's pretty despicable the lies that he told," Comer said on CNN's "State of the Union." "But at the end of the day, it's not up to me or any other member of Congress to determine whether he could be kicked out for lying. Now if he broke campaign finance laws, then he will be removed from Congress."

https://news.yahoo.com/house-republ...-will-be-removed-from-congress-160544299.html

Not clear to me what law or rule would be invoked to expel, exclude Santos.

The obvious issue for Republicans:
They know it doesn't look good for them to embrace another lying liar in the Trump era. BUT !
If they expel Santos it creates a vacancy. And with the Republican majority so thin, the risk is Santos might be replaced by a Democrat. Tiger by the tail.

If they expel Santos it creates a vacancy. And with the Republican majority so thin, the risk is Santos might be replaced by a Democrat. Tiger by the tail.
Which may well be the reason that they're resisting expelling him.

Which may well be the reason that they're resisting expelling him.
I consider it exceedingly likely.

I don't vividly recall, but vaguely recall Obama carrying this district. Thus purple? Tilting blue?

Obama "won" a Nobel Peace Prize for not being GWB. I consider this award the Nobel committee's stab at punishing the U.S. for inflicting President GWB on the world for 8 years.
For similar reason I suspect the electorate replacing Santos would vote with comparable punitive partisanship, punishing the GOP for not purging Santos from the Republican ticket. Their vetting process seems to be a questionnaire.

This turned up on Twitter

Hunter Walker @hunterw

So, to keep score, @JoshKovensky and I have found that Santos and his campaign associates have: -Payments to themselves. -Lavish unexplained expenses. -Alleged credit card fraud. -Seemingly mislabeled hotel stays. -Payments made to "Anonymous."

No idea how credible the claims are

Back