Tuesday September 17, 2024 - Supermoon, Harvest Moon, Eclipse

sear

Administrator
Staff member
To observers in North America Tuesday's "eclipse" of the Harvest Moon will be partial, but enough to see Earth's shadow on our moon.

'Supermoon eclipse' will be visible across North America on Tuesday​

People in North America, South America, Africa and Europe will have a chance to see part of the moon’s surface obscured by Earth’s shadow.
Full Harvest Moon Sets at Sunrise, the flame of the Statue of Liberty appears to touch the bottom of the moon in the sky

The full harvest moon sets behind the Statue of Liberty as the sun rises in New York City on Sept. 10, 2022. Gary Hershorn / Getty Images file

Sept. 15, 2024, 4:00 AM GMT-5 / By Denise Chow
A full moon on Tuesday will coincide with a partial lunar eclipse, giving people in North America, South America, Africa and Europe a chance to see part of the moon’s surface obscured by Earth’s shadow.
A partial lunar eclipse occurs as Earth passes between the moon and the sun, creating a celestial alignment that blocks sunlight from hitting the lunar surface.

"The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." Ferdinand Magellan
Well Ferdinand, flatness and roundness are not mutually exclusive, coins an obvious example.
None the less ...

Here's how you can watch it online for free.​

https://www.space.com/super-harvest-moon-lunar-eclipse-how-to-watch

Back