The phrase "under god" is in no sense a prayer, nor an endorsement of any religion." Rehnquist (in ruling on the Newdow case)

sear

Administrator
Staff member
The phrase "under god" is in no sense a prayer, nor an endorsement of any religion." Chief Justice Rehnquist (in ruling on the Newdow case)

Really? And how about:

"In God We Trust" (sic) ?

well it isnt a prayer but it is a recognition of "God" and by convention the capitalization means that it refers to the Abrahamic (Judaeo-Christian) God

S2 explained that the original wording of Genesis I was -In the beginning gods ...- plural.

The phrase "under god" is in no sense a prayer, nor an endorsement of any religion." Chief Justice Rehnquist (in ruling on the Newdow case)

Rehnquist is a government official. So it seems to be further U.S. federal endorsement of mono-theism.

The Hindu proverb is:
Silence never makes mistakes.

Context for this, dozens of U.S. civil war statues of confederates are being removed. Some say it's revisionist. Others say requiring a young Black child to attend Thomas Jefferson "public" (government) school is as offensive as requiring a young Jewish child to attend Adolf Hitler public school.
It is U.S. government that plunges itself into this needless controversy about official use of the word god.

New millennium.
Time to give it a rest?

The official wording or the pledge capitalizes "God" thereby making it a name - and, by convention that refers to the god of Abraham.

"by convention" S2 #4
Meaning, in the U.S. it's Jehovah, but in Saudi Arabia it's Allah?

Seems a bit vague to me. I got the impression lower case alluded to an unspecified deity even if a specific is presumed / implied. Upper case more of an endorsement of the supernatural, yet still short of a specific deity, unless otherwise indicated.

ref:
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
This, the current official version of the Pledge of Allegiance, has developed from the original pledge, which was first published in the Sept. 8, 1892, issue of Youth's Companion, a weekly magazine then published in Boston. The original pledge contained the phrase "my flag," which was changed more than 30 years later to "flag of the United States of America." A 1954 act of Congress added the words "under God."
The authorship of the pledge had been in dispute for many years. The Youth's Companion stated in 1917 that the original draft was written by James B. Upham, an executive of the magazine who died in 1910. A leaflet circulated by the magazine later named Upham as the originator of the draft "afterwards condensed and perfected by him and his associates of the Companion force."
Francis Bellamy, a former member of Youth's Companion editorial staff, publicly claimed authorship of the pledge in 1923. The United States Flag Association, acting on the advice of a committee named to study the controversy, upheld in 1939 the claim of Bellamy, who had died 8 years earlier. The Library of Congress issued in 1957 a report attributing the authorship to Bellamy. / The World Almanac and Book of Facts 1997

Back