The 50 Worst Decisions in the Last 50 Years of American Politics

From the linked lead article #1

Michael Dukakis Calmly Reacts to Hypothetical Question About His Wife Being Raped​

On Oct. 13, 1988, CNN anchor Bernard Show kicked off the second and final presidential debate between Vice President George H.W. Bush and Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis with a shocking question. “Governor,” he began, “if [your wife] Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered, would you favor an irrevocable death penalty for the killer?”

A clever politician would have shown extreme emotion in this moment, and more than a little outrage. They would have said something like, “How dare you even put that image in my head? If such a thing were to happen, I’d hunt the perpetrator down and kill them myself. I can’t believe you’d even ask such a question!” That’s not what Dukakis did. “No, I don’t, Bernard,” he [Dukakis] calmly said ...

Andy Greene's comment seems simplistic, obvious. Greene implies Governor Dukakis wasn't aware of the alternate response option Greene prefers. And while Dukakis never made it to the presidency, neither did Greene. Thus different is not necessarily better.

I suspect if Abraham Lincoln were asked similar question, Lincoln's reply might have been closer to Dukakis' than Greene's.
Dukakis was seeking the highest government office in the U.S.
The U.S. presidency is not an office suited to executives with volatile emotions. Presidential decisions should be made presidentially, on basis of optimal outcome, on national pragmatism, not personal emotion.

Perhaps Greene might have composed a more persuasive list if it listed 49, omitting this #45 entirely.

Back