Surgeons Transplanted a Lab-Grown Ear From Patient's Own Cells in Early Clinical Trial

sear

Administrator
Staff member

Surgeons Transplanted a Lab-Grown Ear From Patient's Own Cells in Early Clinical Trial​

3 JUNE 2022
A US medical team said Thursday they had reconstructed a human ear using the patient's own tissue to create a 3D bioimplant, a pioneering procedure they hope can be used to treat people with a rare birth defect.

The surgery was performed as part of an early-stage clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the implant for people with microtia, in which the external ear is small and not formed properly.

The human outer ear is hardly a vital organ. But this progress in tissue propagation is an encouraging sign of the expanding potential.
One of the benefits of growing replacement tissue from the patient's own DNA is the elimination of anti-rejection drugs, leaving the patient in substantially more robust good health.

mm #2
- I've lost my hearing. Last I saw it, it scurried under the highboy.

mm #3
In logic there's a principle known as "Sorites Paradox". The textbook example:
If 5,000 hairs is a full head of hair, is a man with 4,999 hairs bald?
4,998?
4,997? ...
Meaning, for change in seemingly small increments, a revolution might not be recognized.

sear personally is unusually prone to the Rip Van Winkle syndrome, for living in isolation for a generation.
That compounds the fact that things are changing. Not merely that they're changing, but that the rate of change is accelerating exponentially.
BUT!
That's not the essence of the story. In the '50's & '60's the term "in the world", or "the whole world" were in common daily usage. It mainly referred to humanity on the planet's surface. Now there are humans living in orbit. There have been for years. It's no secret, it's common knowledge, it's called the international space station.
Like Sorites Paradox these incremental advancements may seem small by themselves. But collectively they're transforming human experience for those fortunate enough to live in affluent Western culture.
None of that is front page news. But I'm not sure the life of an ingrate is worth living. Perhaps the ominous foreboding is The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Will human wisdom to refrain from it outpace our capacity for human-annihilation? "Never gamble more than you can afford to lose."

"there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known." St. Luke 12:2

Back